Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 155 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#430159 - 31/12/03 01:58 PM AAL or Shackles
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know this topic is talked about a lot, but i havent found this exact info...

If i want a firmer ride in the back, and i dont want to bottum out with three people in the back and a boat on the hitch, should i go with AAL's? or shackles with new shocks? or could i just firm up the back with new shocks alone?

basically the way it is now, when i hit a bump with three people in the back and some bags in the back, i bottum out, and i dont want that happening, how do i fix this with voiding the least amount of warantees, and not too expensive?

thank you

#430160 - 31/12/03 03:31 PM Re: AAL or Shackles
Anonymous
Unregistered

Shackle or AAL is going to raise the rear end about 1.5". Sounds like you want a stiffer shock. Unless of course, you are going for a lift (which I will be ordering come spring)!

#430161 - 31/12/03 03:45 PM Re: AAL or Shackles
Anonymous
Unregistered

yea i would like the lift in the rear as well, but my main concern is to firm up the ride in the back, then secondary would be to raise it about 1.5'.

#430162 - 31/12/03 03:49 PM Re: AAL or Shackles
Anonymous
Unregistered

My understanding is you will NOT firm up the ride unless you change out shocks.

#430163 - 31/12/03 03:53 PM Re: AAL or Shackles
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bilstein makes a 10% and 20% stiffer shock in the stock height. 20% will probably be perfect but, when you not loaded it might be too stiff. Maybe 10% would be a good compromise.

#430164 - 31/12/03 03:55 PM Re: AAL or Shackles
Anonymous
Unregistered

it seems like the shackles are a lot easier to install than the AAL, if i installed them, and got larger firmer shocks, that seems like it would work well. has anyone done that?

#430165 - 31/12/03 05:10 PM Re: AAL or Shackles
Xtracurricular Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
From what I have read on this forum and others over the past two years sums up to this:

Shackles will increase flex, and raise the rear. There is no increase in spring rate, and with the added flex comes earlier sag. Not the best idea if you are towing as you say, but cheaper and easier in the short term.

AAL's will firm the ride a little, and raise the rear. Most AAL's have you take out the helper spring in the origional pack. Because of this, they tent to ride nicer on the big bumps as they don't ramp up as much. A better answer for towing, and will last longer.

A little more info:
-If you use shackles and consequently sag out the rear, I understand you cannot correct the problem by adding the AAL after the fact. Given this, and a little bigger budget, I would go for the AALs if towing.
-As for shocks, a set of Bilstiens will help lessen the tendency to bottom out. The stiffer (10-20%) they are, the more this will happen. Your ride will be stiffer as well.
-Many factory shocks will wear out in the 30-60k mile range. If you feel that this may be part of the problem, simply upgrading to Bilstiens will help. They are tested and I think guaranteed to have 90% of their origional damping at the 100k mile mark.
-It is likely, that a 10% stiffer set of Bilsteins in the rear, with an AAL will be the best full package.

Final disclaimer. I do not own, have no actual experience with, nor have tested the above personnaly. It is only the overall impressions I have made in researching the same issue for myself. Hope this helps more than hinders...

#430166 - 31/12/03 06:19 PM Re: AAL or Shackles
Kerensky97 Offline

Loc: Utah
I'm not sure if you already have one but a weight distribution hitch might help. More weight is shifted to the front axle.

Most Trailer places have them.

Xterra101.com

#430167 - 01/01/04 07:17 PM Re: AAL or Shackles
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks for all the advise... i think the AAL's and maybe some 10% stiffer shocks are what i am looking for.

thanks for the help.

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal