2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#425070 - 11/01/04 08:57 AM HELP!!! what is the total collapsed/extended shock length- 3" suspension lift??
husky fan Offline

Please tell me the distance from upper shock mount to lower shock mount, when the front suspension is at full extension, and then the same measurement at full compression. Seems a pretty simple question.

i'm trying to figure this out without installing the calmini upper control arms then measuring the distance required from full compression to full extension of the front suspension.

Who knows this? I've searched everywhere. Someone must know this. it seems imperative to ensure getting the proper size shocks with a suspension lift. If you don't know it, wouldn't you risk busting an eyelet on the shock when you overextended or overcompressed the front end?

#425071 - 11/01/04 05:46 PM Re: HELP!!! what is the total collapsed/extended shock length- 3" suspension lift??
Xtracurricular Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
FYI, not sure if it is the same in the front but the rear shocks ARE the limiting factor at full extension. Try performing the measurement with you factory front shocks to see if they limit it from the factory. Then simply add the lift amount, or percentage of lift amount. It might be .75 or so. Compare the distance between the LCA pivot to the shock mount and the distance to the inside edge of the tire. Whatever the difference is likely to be percentage of actual increase in extended and compressed length when compared to the origional. Confused? I know I would be after reading that. Here is an example. If the total length of my lower control arm is 12", and the lower shock mount is 9" from the inside pivot that is 75%. (I am using purposefully simple numbers so I don't have to do any real math, these numbers are not remotely correct.) Now if I am lifting 3", then the shock will have to be 75% of 3" longer at full compression and full extension. 3 x .75 is 2.25". If my origional shock at full compression is 10" long, the new one will have to be 10 + 2.25 or 12.25" long at full compression. If your origional stroke was 10" (yeah right) then your origional length at full extension was 20". Again, add 2.25 to 20 and get 22.25" extended.

In this case, with the made up numbers, they old vs new numbers would be:

shock - Compressed length / Extended length
Old - 10" / 20"
New - 12.25" / 22.25"

Sorry that was so cryptic, hopefully it will help.

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal