Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#433435 - 06/02/04 11:07 PM Heeeelp!
Weasel Offline

Loc: San Antonio
Hey Guys,
Ive just spent almost three hours removing that %^#*(& Ball joint for my lift and managed to install the front UCA's. Well now that's done and tires back on the front, the front suspension seems to be rock solid. I mean I doesnt move at all. Nothing. When we push it down it stays down
WTF? Is this normal?? My buddies and I are exhausted from this crap and going to bed. Do I have my T bars over cranked? How would I know when it's too much? The rear leafs are being put up tomorrow and any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Weasel

Me: Um, That's Dan Marino...

#433436 - 07/02/04 12:48 AM Re: Heeeelp!
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I'm a little confused. First you said the front end wouldn't move and then you said you could push it down and it wouldn't come back up? confused How far down did it go? I mean, if it's sitting on the bumpstops then you obviously need to crank the torsion bars up. Trust me; if they were over-tightened you wouldn't have been able to push down the front like you describe. There should be about 3/4" between the UCA's and the upper bumpstop when you reach proper height.

#433437 - 07/02/04 08:15 AM Re: Heeeelp!
Weasel Offline

Well its hard to explain. When we finished the front and got it off the forklift...yes forklift. When my buddy pressed down on the front bumper to check the suspension. The nose was shoved down and did not come back up. It was just stiff. No bounce back at all

Weasel

#433438 - 07/02/04 08:40 AM Re: Heeeelp!
johnnyx Offline
J

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Is there space between the uppper control arm and the bumpstop? (same question on the lower as well?)

Didn't leave any big tools jammed in there anywhere did ya?

Do you have old or new shocks?

Were your t-bars removed for the install and if so, when put back in, were the splines in all the way into the anchor on the lower control arm? If they aren't, and slipped/stripped, the front end would stay down.

Other than that I can't think of anything else.

#433439 - 07/02/04 08:44 AM Re: Heeeelp!
johnnyx Offline
J

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by Weasel:
When my buddy pressed down on the front bumper to check the suspension. The nose was shoved down and did not come back up. It was just stiff. No bounce back at all

Weasel
So you set the truck back on the ground, pushed down and it didn't come back up?

After all that (my first reply) I'm thinking your t-bars need to be adjusted to raise it (and/or reindexed).

#433440 - 07/02/04 08:56 AM Re: Heeeelp!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree with johnnyX, if there is no rebound then it stands to reason the torsion bars are to loose or not set at all. The weight of the X will settle your shocks, the shocks are not designed to rebound the weight of the vehicle all by themselves, hence the springs, i.e torsion bars and rear leafs.

#433441 - 07/02/04 09:21 AM Re: Heeeelp!
wordtothis Offline

Loc: atlanta
Quote:
Originally posted by airbornenurse:
I agree with johnnyX, if there is no rebound then it stands to reason the torsion bars are to loose or not set at all. The weight of the X will settle your shocks, the shocks are not designed to rebound the weight of the vehicle all by themselves, hence the springs, i.e torsion bars and rear leafs.
shocks don't rebound the weight of the vehicle at all, they regulate the velocity of your suspension. e.g. they monitor and maintain how fast the torsion bars and leaf springs rebound and compress. seriously, just re-index your torsion bars and then crank 'em up, that sounds like what you need to do.

david

#433442 - 09/02/04 07:20 AM Re: Heeeelp!
Weasel Offline

Thanks guys I almost positive that your right
I going to be reindexing my t bars today and be sure to be back with the results
Thanks for all the help

Weasel

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal