Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#420456 - 16/02/04 05:13 AM Unable to Align my Xterra
lunkerhunter Offline

Loc: Bonita Springs, FL
I just bought new A/T Revos and got a thrust alignment but my X with 65K miles is pulling to the right. The tire shop says there's nothing they can do because the X has no caster adjustment, only toe in/out, and that is within spec. Also note that my drivers side body height is 1/2" to 3/4" higher than the pass side.

Are they right? What can I do to fix this?

Thanks.

#420457 - 16/02/04 05:20 AM Re: Unable to Align my Xterra
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
Find a different shop. Did they even look at your truck? There is castor adjustment and it's not unique, so any alignment ahop that tells you it can't be adjusted isn't someone I'd let touch my truck.

I would crank the torsion bar an one side to level out the truck. Do that before you get it aligned. Adjusting the torsion bars will change the alignment.

#420458 - 16/02/04 06:33 AM Re: Unable to Align my Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Aero Steve:
Find a different shop. Did they even look at your truck? There is castor adjustment and it's not unique, so any alignment ahop that tells you it can't be adjusted isn't someone I'd let touch my truck.

I would crank the torsion bar an one side to level out the truck. Do that before you get it aligned. Adjusting the torsion bars will change the alignment.
If you do adjust the torsion bars (which I recommend in your case as well), ride around for a little while before the alignment, as they do have a tendency to settle.

-dp [Smoking]

#420459 - 16/02/04 02:00 PM Re: Unable to Align my Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

yes there is a camber adjustmetn on the front of these but its simply a cam, which most shops wont touch, I would take it to a dealer they will know exactly what to do

#420460 - 16/02/04 02:19 PM Re: Unable to Align my Xterra
lunkerhunter Offline

thanks guys.

anyone have a picture of this castor cam so I can show them it and get my $69 back from them since they didn't align it all the way.

also I'm looking for the best instructions on here for cranking the tortion bar(s) to level her out if you could point me to them that would be great. going to search again now.

#420461 - 16/02/04 02:27 PM Re: Unable to Align my Xterra
austinbrtndr Offline

Loc: ATX
Looks like you already found it, but might as well post answers on both threads incase somebody else uses the search feature... T-Bar How To

West Ham UFC -- Come On You Irons!!!

www.myspace.com/kraigslist

Kraig

#420462 - 16/02/04 02:43 PM Re: Unable to Align my Xterra
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by X2theZ:
yes there is a camber adjustmetn on the front of these but its simply a cam, which most shops wont touch
It is impossible to align an Xterra without adjusting both eccentric adjusters (there are 2) on each upper control arm. Neither is specifically a caster or camber adjuster, they are simply adjusters, and via adjusting them, caster and camber are changed.

If your alignment shop won't touch them, then they aren't an alignment shop.

#420463 - 16/02/04 04:13 PM Re: Unable to Align my Xterra
lunkerhunter Offline

thanks xoc I found your old post with pics re: Eccentric Adjusters.

sounds like my tire place is just trying to get out of this the easy way by charging me $69 for useless POS 4 wheel thrust alignment. plus they don't have a computerized printout that gives you the actual numbers for toe, caster etc, just a red/green level indicator which doesn't sound very precise. if I only knew this beforehand....

anyone know what the reccommeded toe in/out, caster/camber numbers should be? 2000 Xterra with 265 75R 15 A/T Revos.

-----------------------------------------------

Also, well i gave the tortion bars a try and i think it helped. the height difference was maybe 3/16" underneath and now they are pretty close. cranked it some, bounced on her, rode around, remeasured and then cranked it a little more. maybe 1.5 turns total. we'll see how she does going to work.

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal