Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#423936 - 04/04/04 01:32 PM Elevating the Rear End (Cheapest Way?): Old Man Emu Shackles perhaps?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had the torsion bars raised in the front end to accommodate new Interco SSR tires and now the front end is slightly higher than the rear.
I was looking at a stage II SLR suspension lift, but after they took my money on a previous order and sent me their product 11 weeks later, I refuse to go with SLR and their poor service.

I was thinking that I'd just get shackles giving a one or two inch lift to replace the OE ones and then put in the 5100 Bilstein shocks for a smoother ride and to raise the rear, so that it is higher than the front. I'm sick of seeing it look like a 4runner with that rear end sag.
Anyone, have any better ideas for increasing the rear without a costly suspension lift? My solution is two new shackles (where is the best place to get them for the X?...and not SLR) + 5100 Bilsteins. I sent an e-mail to Old Man EMU,no reply, but they only advertise Aussie Nissan variants.
Recommended Shackles for at least a one inch rear lift...anyone? I read that a differential lowering Kit would not be needed, so a confirmation by a second party would be good. Thanks

#423937 - 04/04/04 01:48 PM Re: Elevating the Rear End (Cheapest Way?): Old Man Emu Shackles perhaps?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why not just go for the Calmini Add-a-Leaf?
It won't sag as quickly.

http://www.purenissan.com/suspension.htm

They also sell shackles.

#423938 - 04/04/04 02:27 PM Re: Elevating the Rear End (Cheapest Way?): Old Man Emu Shackles perhaps?
Anonymous
Unregistered

You don't need a diff lowering kit for just a torsion twist. Calmini shackles are 1.5" - I have a set on my Xterra. You can order them from www.xterraparts.com. I've had good luck with them and I've never heard anybody complain about them - which is saying quite a bit because the do a lot of business w/ members of this board.

#423939 - 04/04/04 03:33 PM Re: Elevating the Rear End (Cheapest Way?): Old Man Emu Shackles perhaps?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Go with the shackles, Calmini very high quality and like pnw said no one ever complains about them. And Xterraparts.com is awesome with customer service!! I wonder how much stuff you have to buy to get a discount card? [Smoking]

#423940 - 04/04/04 03:35 PM Re: Elevating the Rear End (Cheapest Way?): Old Man Emu Shackles perhaps?
TrialsX Offline

Loc: Florida
I have the full 3" suspension lift from Calmini, and I've never heard my CVs pop. I don't plan on lowering the front diff unless the CVs were binding.

Two ways to consider for raising the rear on the X. AALs (add a leafs) or the calmini shakles as mentioned. Both will add about the same amount of lift, 1.5" each.

Shackles would be slightly easier to install. I have also not heard anything good about SLR, both on the service side and the quality side. My Calmini hardware has been great for the last 2 years.

#423941 - 04/04/04 05:28 PM Re: Elevating the Rear End (Cheapest Way?): Old Man Emu Shackles perhaps?
Anonymous
Unregistered

hey-

i was considering the same thing you were... i raising the front and wanted to balance it out...

calmini is definetly the way to go! they make great products. as far as which one between shackles and AAL's. i went with the leafs because in the long run i think they are more beneficial. they raise the payload and in my opinion make the X handle better on bumps and crap. its only 100 more for something that is going to last the lifetime of the X, i really didnt think saving 100 was going to be worth the possible problems with sagging and such.. plus i thought the ride was too soft anyway.

either way its a good choice and calmini is a great company with quality products and good customer service.

#423942 - 05/04/04 03:44 PM Re: Elevating the Rear End (Cheapest Way?): Old Man Emu Shackles perhaps?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, I just returned from work and to my surprise, I found lots of great advise from all of you, so thank you. I will be contacting xterraparts.com for Calmini products ASAP (Bye SLR for EVER!). I am fairly new to this site, so the benfits of the superb advise has convinced me it wasn't a waste of time. I tip my hat to you gentlemen....hard to know if you are all men since I didn't check the properties of everyone, so anyway, Much appreciated.

#423943 - 05/04/04 04:13 PM Re: Elevating the Rear End (Cheapest Way?): Old Man Emu Shackles perhaps?
TrialsX Offline

Loc: Florida
I'm not afraid to show my feminine side.... [Spit]

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal