Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#419799 - 08/06/04 04:18 PM Another AAL Topic...
ROKN_X Offline

Sorry to start a new topic about AALs, but I have a few questions that I think I know the answers to after searching, but I just wanted to double-check.

I've been wanting to lift my truck from day one (about 1.5 years ago), but the "lift bug" has bit me pretty hard and can't wait any longer. I was trying to decide if I wanted to go the AAL or shackle route lifting the rear. I plan on cranking the t-bars to lift the front. From what I've gathered the AAL is better than using shackles b/c (please correct me if I'm wrong):
a)shackles might cause the stock leafs to sag faster.
b)shackles require longer shocks
c)if I upgrade to the full CALMINI 3" lift, I can just add the shackles instead of having to remove them (if installed) and add the extra leafs which makes it easier for the future

Eventually I would like to get the CALMINI 3" lift and the ever important steering kit, but that wouldn't be for another year atleast - damnit, why did I get engaged! I know a lot of you are running this so called "Poor Man's Lift" and are planning on upgrading to the full 3" lift.

In the future, if I do get the 3" lift, I would only need to buy shackles (assuming I already have the AALs), UCAs, and longer shocks, right? There are a bunch of other items listed here (xterraparts.com) that are included with the lift, do I need them all?

One last thing, I read on one post that it is hard to clamp the leafs back together after unclamping the stock leafs, is this true?

Thanks for your help. [Wave]

#419800 - 08/06/04 05:44 PM Re: Another AAL Topic...
FinallyAnXer Offline

Loc: Bradford, PA
I'm engaged... and she bought the lift. smile

To answer your questions:
Either route, shackles or AAL's essentially moves your axle (and shock mounting point) further from the frame (other shock mount.) Therefore I don't see how either would cause need for a longer shock (as opposed to the other.)

I don't have any input regarding sagging due to only adding shackles.

Re-assembling the leafs did not give me any problems. The clamps aren't really there to hold them "together" it is mostly to keep them "aligned". The bolt holds the spring pack together.

To me, it seemed that the correct way to do things was to wait until you had everything ready to go. The T-bar crank, although done by many, does not sound like the "correct" way to go about lifting a truck, it stresses components.

My personal advice would be to wait. The AAL's are about 1/4-1/5th the cost of the lift depending which route you take. If you decide to replace the shocks at the time you do the AAL or shackle 'lift', you are at about half the price of the entire kit. I had to wait 2 plus years to lift mine and I had been around here and wanting to do it EVERYDAY since I got mine, but waiting and doing it correctly seemed worth it to me.

That's my $0.02.

-Jeremy

#419801 - 08/06/04 09:16 PM Re: Another AAL Topic...
ROKN_X Offline

I got the info about the shocks searching here:
http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=73;t=000707

I can't find the link to the post about the leaf spring clamps. confused

Thanks though....

#419802 - 08/06/04 09:18 PM Re: Another AAL Topic...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by FinallyAnXer:
Either route, shackles or AAL's essentially moves your axle (and shock mounting point) further from the frame (other shock mount.) Therefore I don't see how either would cause need for a longer shock (as opposed to the other.)
The difference is that w/ AALs max droop is the same as stock becuase your springs are still attached to the frame via the stock mounting points. W/ longer shackles your rear axle can droop farther because the spring can move farther from the frame. AAL's are fine with stock shocks, longer shackles require longer shocks or they will limit max droop (at least if the rear swaybar is off).

#419803 - 09/06/04 08:59 AM Re: Another AAL Topic...
ChrisNYC Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, New Yawk
Quote:
Originally posted by FinallyAnXer:
I'm engaged... and she bought the lift. smile

Does she have a sister? [LOL]

#419804 - 09/06/04 03:30 PM Re: Another AAL Topic...
ROKN_X Offline

Ideally I'd buy the 3" lift kit right now, but I don't want to spend the $1k. Basically what I want to know is if I am correct in assuming that if I plan on piecing together the CALMINI 3" lift, it is better to start with the AALs rather than the shackles? (I realize that the AALs are about $100 more than the shackles, which is ok.)

#419805 - 09/06/04 05:15 PM Re: Another AAL Topic...
Rockaholic Offline

Loc: Reading, MA
Quote:
Originally posted by ROKN_X:
[QB]Basically what I want to know is if I am correct in assuming that if I plan on piecing together the CALMINI 3" lift, it is better to start with the AALs rather than the shackles?QB]
It's 6 one way, half a dozen the other. I personally think the shackles are an easier install than the AAL's, so I would start with the AAL and do the shackles later. But I've always been the type of person who likes to get the more difficult stuff out of the way first, whenever I can.

Neither one is really better than the other - they just have some slightly different benefits

#419806 - 09/06/04 05:33 PM Re: Another AAL Topic...
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally posted by Rockaholic:
Quote:
Originally posted by ROKN_X:
[QB]Basically what I want to know is if I am correct in assuming that if I plan on piecing together the CALMINI 3" lift, it is better to start with the AALs rather than the shackles?QB]
It's 6 one way, half a dozen the other. I personally think the shackles are an easier install than the AAL's, so I would start with the AAL and do the shackles later. But I've always been the type of person who likes to get the more difficult stuff out of the way first, whenever I can.

Neither one is really better than the other - they just have some slightly different benefits
I agree with this...I did the AAL's as well just to get the hardest out of the way first....I've put shackles on a truck before and there's really nothing to it...

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal