2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#425265 - 13/06/04 12:32 PM Bump Stop Extensions and offset wheels W/Lift
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
When I did the lift I put in the 3 pack add-a-leaf.

The wheels I put on are not the correct offset and they are sticky outy about 3/4 of an inch so they will not tuck when fully compressed.

On full bump fully flexed there is the tires (32in) to hit the outer lip of the rear wheel sheet metal/plastic rear fender molding.

Based on this idea when I added the add-a-leaf I put in a reear bump stop extention as a precaution. The bumpstop extentions are about an inch and a quarter and I am also wondering if they are just too long?

Now, when we were out at Barstow buzzing along, I noticed that the rear would be very quick to hit the rear bumpstops and it can be very bone jarring at any kind fo speed and the rear end has a tendancy to buck.

Here's the question:

With 32inch tires and incorrect offset wheels coupled with the add-a-leaf are the bumpstop extensions necessary? Does anyone have incorrect offset wheels and a lift with 32's and not having rubbing issues? Or are the rubbing issues limited to the inner fender well fuell filler cover?

I would rather run without the extentions or reduce their length if I can do so comfortably knowing that I'm not going to send my tires through the rear sheetmetal.

??? confused ???

#425266 - 13/06/04 12:58 PM Re: Bump Stop Extensions and offset wheels W/Lift
01SalsaXterra Offline

Loc: Suffolk County,NY,USA
I am running 32"X11.5" dunlop Rovers as a daily driving tire on my Pathy 6 spoke rims (stock offset and backspacing I believe). I have no rear bump stop extentions and I am running the SLR 3" econo lift wiith the # pack AALs and a new OEM spring pack along with 2" SLR shackles.

At Moab this past April, I rubbed a ton in the back on the body even with stock offset rims.
After looking at my pix f the trip, I had ridiculous flex in the rear axle which caused the rubbing.
I will be installing the rear bumpstop extensions so I can run my 285-75r16 Trxus MTs on 16"X8" 5" BS rockcrawlers with minimal/no rubbing after sheetmetal trimming.

I hope that helped a bit.

I got "IT" from ebay.
Now it burns when I pee..

#425267 - 13/06/04 02:52 PM Re: Bump Stop Extensions and offset wheels W/Lift
Saline Offline

Loc: Fruita , CO
I'm running about the same as you it sounds. I have a 3" lift,aftermarket wheels w more offset,and 32" Dunlop Mud Rovers.No bump stop extentions. I had a good amount of rubbing and cutting of tires in the rear wheelwells prior to getting the grinder out. I took off the plastic trim and used a grinder to trim the metal lip/flange on the inside of the wheelwell.I then re-installed the plastic trim. There isn't much clearance when fully flexed (not even 1/2 inch)on the wheelwell, but it no longer rubs.
The gas fill tube cover still gets an occasional rub here and there but doesn't show any signs of severe damage.

#425268 - 13/06/04 03:38 PM Re: Bump Stop Extensions and offset wheels W/Lift
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Socal, one thing to remember is us 4x4 guys rarely stuff both tires at the same time through vertical movement (jumping and landing). Usually it's one side at a time (articulation) which causes the wheel to rotate around the center of the axle into the wheel well.

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal