2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#430677 - 17/07/04 10:07 AM Mod Newbie Asking Lift Questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

So, after looking around the site, I started thinking I wanted to put the SLR suspension lift on my Xterra. I asked my husband about it, he's quite leery of any lifting on the suspension, and explained why with some complicated drawing about angles and tie rods and blah blah blah....

Now, I'm not trying to be a know it all, I know nothing, I'll freely admit it.

We haven't gone on any real off road trips because it's basically stock, with just the 265/70/16 tires. It works nice when the beer store's parking lot is flooded, and I've driven on some roads up behind Central City, but more desert stuff in Utah, without many real roks to contend with.

But, I wouldn't mind doing more, and so I was thinking about the suspension lift.

THe husband said things break more easily, it's not a bad idea, but it's not a good idea since it's not something I *need* to do for daily driving.

So, can someone tell me a little more about lifting? The benefits? A suspension lift vs the body lift?

Sorry, I know I don't know anything, but I see so much discussion here, I was hoping for a specific answer, rather than trying to piece it together from the results I get from a search. Thanks!!!

#430678 - 17/07/04 11:23 AM Re: Mod Newbie Asking Lift Questions
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Yes, there is a lot of discussion here, and you would do well to review it.

That said, yes, a suspension lift puts more stress on the steering components and (if you actually go 4-wheeling much) will lead to more rapid failure of the bushings in the centerlink (relay rod) which in turn can cause tie rod breakage.
If you're not going to use your Xterra off-road for anything more than casual stuff, you definitely don't need a lift. Hell, I wheel mine pretty hard and after 4 years I still haven't lifted it.

A body lift does nothing but allow for larger tires, but isn't necessary for anything smaller than 33" diameter tires.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#430679 - 17/07/04 03:36 PM Re: Mod Newbie Asking Lift Questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Go wheeling with RMXC one of these weekends and you can see for yourself how the non lifted Xterras compair with the lifted ones. And you talk with us and have most of your answers answered. Ian is very knowledgable with the pros & cons of the SLR & Calmini lifts. Allen, who is a certified Nissan mechanic at Tynan's can answer every question you have about how the lift effect various parts of the X.

[url= Http://www.RMXC.com][url=Http://www.RMXC.com][url=Http://www.RMXC.com][url=Http://www.RMXC.com]Http://www.RMXC.com[/url][/url][/url][/url]

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal