2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#434798 - 22/01/05 08:10 PM A question for the experts: thrust angle alignment
Anonymous
Unregistered

I got a front-end alignment on the xterra last spring as the steering felt funny all winter. I attributed it mostly to the ice and being oversensitive. Anyway, the alignment shop told me my rear thrust angle was off. I soon forgot because the roads were dry and things seemed better.

Anyway, it is winter again and it feels funny again (like I have passive rear-wheel steering in left turns). I dug up the alignment spec sheet and I apparently have a thrust angle of 0.32 degrees (right rear toed out and left rear toed in). Is this fixable with an alignment? confused

I read on Tirerack.com that this often requires working on the frame. I've never been in an accident and I've never abused the truck. I have 30k miles and I guess I'm looking to know whether this is a huge deal (warranty) or a small issue. Cyclemut did seem to think that 0.22 degrees was fixable in another thread. I just don't see how you adjust it.

#434799 - 22/01/05 11:28 PM Re: A question for the experts: thrust angle alignment
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you could post your specs, then we'd be able to see what they're talking about. You could have a crushed rear spring bushing, a tweaked rear spring, or even a couple of loose u-bolts.

The toe could be set to get the thrust angle back into spec, but if the vehicle is going to dog-leg, then that would only be a finger in the dam leak (insert Dutch Boy analogy here). Still driveable, but not exactly right.

Posting the specs, especially the rear angles, will help a lot.

#434800 - 23/01/05 09:35 AM Re: A question for the experts: thrust angle alignment
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cyclemut,
Here is the spec sheet. Thanks for the help! I have an appointment at a local shop with new alignment equipment. The dealer has one guy who does alignments and he is pretty backed-up. If I need new parts though, maybe the dealer would be better. Do you think any of this is a warranty issue? I imagine this is considered a wear item. Where would you go?

#434801 - 23/01/05 12:11 PM Re: A question for the experts: thrust angle alignment
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, by the looks of it, either the left rear tire has shifted forward, or the right rear has shifted back.

Look at the rear shackles at the rear axle. They should be pointed almost straight down. Is one of them pointed forwards or backwards?

I'd say you need to have someone check it out, see what's bent. That rear axle is definatly not sitting straight in the frame.

I would even hesitate to say take it to the dealer. Usually, we don't have the experience to determine a bent frame. We also don't have the measuring equipment to accomplish the task effectively.

If you have a good frame shop around (we have a place called Bear Frame and Axle, I think their national), I'd give them a call and tell them you think your axle has shifted. They'll be able to see what's going on for sure.

Heck, you might need a little time on the Kansas Jack to get your X back into shape.

Sorry, but a dealership or another independent alignment facility isn't going to be able to determine what's wrong there.

Wish I was more help.

#434802 - 23/01/05 01:09 PM Re: A question for the experts: thrust angle alignment
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cyclemut, thanks for the help. I looked at the rear shackles and they both angle back (toward the back of the truck) about 40 degrees from verticle.

I measured the distance from the spring mount bolt (on the front of the springs) to the axle, and it was the same on both sides. If I hold a straight-edge against the step rails it hits the side-wall of the tire on the left side and hits the tread on the right side. It looks like the bottoming-out pad (on the frame) on the left side actually would hit the outer u-bolt on the axle rather than hitting between the u-bolts. It looks like it would hit between the u-bolts on the right side. There isn't much more for me to measure.

I guess I'll take it to the dealer and have them look for anything broken or loose (and see if they can spot the problem). If it is all okay I'll take it to a frame spot and have them check it over and give me an estimate.

Thanks!

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal