2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#429444 - 31/03/05 08:30 PM Front sway bar
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have the rear sway bar removed...
If i remove the front, what big differances
will i see? OR FEEL! I don't want to tip over at 10 mph, instead of 15 mph!!! laugh

#429445 - 01/04/05 04:34 AM Re: Front sway bar
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
With no front bar, it would be a handful!

I'd leave it on.

Even off road, it doesn't make a huge difference in articulation, as its not the limiting factor for most people.

To see, jack it up, and let the front tires droop....disconnect the bar, and see how much further it droops. (Look at the bumpstops and shocks next...)

If off road with more droop, you can bind the CV's, especially if also turned...so, watch out when thinking about giving it go go juice under those conditions.

I put in a Diff Drop Kit to help avoid the bind.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#429446 - 01/04/05 05:14 AM Re: Front sway bar
Anonymous
Unregistered

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the sway bar was to limit the movement of the wheels in opposite directions like when one is going up and the other is going down. So if you drive over an object with the left wheel, the left wheel will go as far up as it can go and the right wheel will drop as far as it can, hence better articulation.

This is why with a sway bar a vehicle with have less body roll. When you make a turn, the wheels on the outside of the turn get all the weight and the suspension aborbs that weight, with the sway bars some of that weight is distributed back to the inside wheels.

#429447 - 01/04/05 05:50 AM Re: Front sway bar
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by 56kz2slow:
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the sway bar was to limit the movement of the wheels in opposite directions like when one is going up and the other is going down. So if you drive over an object with the left wheel, the left wheel will go as far up as it can go and the right wheel will drop as far as it can, hence better articulation.

This is why with a sway bar a vehicle with have less body roll. When you make a turn, the wheels on the outside of the turn get all the weight and the suspension aborbs that weight, with the sway bars some of that weight is distributed back to the inside wheels.
You are correct! Don't listen to TK... Removing the front anti-sway bar on his X would be pointless... A curb is only, what, 6" tall?

#429448 - 01/04/05 06:34 AM Re: Front sway bar
Toy Man Offline

Loc: Beaverton Oregon
Well I have done this coming back from a off-road sessions. Feels strange at first then you get accustomed to it. However it is not something I recommend. Life could become very interesting if you have to make a sharp downhill turn.

Toy Man

#429449 - 01/04/05 06:53 AM Re: Front sway bar
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
If one goes up, and the sway pushes the other side down, how is that a bad thing?

laugh

In theory, it should increase the avilable travel...but when I looked, it was pretty much the same...the weight of the tire pretty much dropped it to full droop...and that was it.

Seriously, I think there are other limiting factors, and the observed movement is prety much stop to stop already...so the sway is not the limiting factor...the stops are...and then the shocks...so if you profile the stops, have longer shocks, etc...maybe, but, like I said, the difference observed was all but nil.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#429450 - 01/04/05 08:33 AM Re: Front sway bar
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would leave them on, especially since you are running with an aftermarket bumper. Just my opinion. I can't really speak from experience though. I don't have front or reay sway bars anymore with my setup.

#429451 - 02/04/05 06:16 AM Re: Front sway bar
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
If one goes up, and the sway pushes the other side down, how is that a bad thing?

laugh

In theory, it should increase the avilable travel...but when I looked, it was pretty much the same...the weight of the tire pretty much dropped it to full droop...and that was it.

Seriously, I think there are other limiting factors, and the observed movement is prety much stop to stop already...so the sway is not the limiting factor...the stops are...and then the shocks...so if you profile the stops, have longer shocks, etc...maybe, but, like I said, the difference observed was all but nil.

laugh
If one wheel goes up, the swaybar will try to push the other one up as well in an attempt to keep the vehicle level in a turn.

You are right that there are other limiting factors and that they all have to be taken into consideration. If you hit the upper bump stop on one side and the lower bump stop on the other with the sway bar on, disconnecting the sway bar won't give more travel, it will just make that travel easier to do, but won't provide more articulation. It all depends how much travel is available with the shocks and the other suspension components.

In the case of a TJ lifted with long-arms and long shocks, the suspension will have a lot more travel than the sway bar can allow, so disconnecting it will give a lot more articulation.

This would not be possible with a sway bar, either a front wheel or rear wheel would be off the ground.

#429452 - 02/04/05 06:40 AM Re: Front sway bar
Anonymous
Unregistered

This article explains well how it works:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question432.htm

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal