Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 90 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#427154 - 10/04/05 11:59 AM Alignment after Poor Man's lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

I did a Poor Man's lift yesterday on my 2000 X and went to Sears this morning for an alignment. The mechanic said he could not do it because my Cam bolt was frozen and he didn't want to take a chance on snapping it since they don't carry that part.

He did say that the alignment wasn't that bad approx. 0.2' degrees vs, approx. 0.3' degrees. He also said that the Tow (toe?) was off though.

My question is should I take the X to Nissan and let them do the alignment or can I ride it as is with no major problems? and what about the tow (toe)? Isn't that supposed to off since I raised the rear?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Glacier
---------------------------------------------
Life is a lot like jazz, it's best when you improvise.

#427155 - 11/04/05 06:55 AM Re: Alignment after Poor Man's lift
Lincoln Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Get some PB Blaster and spray it. Let it sit for a few hours, spray it again. Let it sit overnight and you should be able to loosen that cam bolt.

I had a 95 240sx that had a frozen cam bolt on it, did the same thing and wala, came right off.

The other thing you could do is order a replacement cam bolt incase yours snaps, then bring it with you to the sears dealership (as I am sure they are cheaper than the dealership.)

Now a question. I have been told by a few mechanics that I shouldn't have to do an alignment after doing a AAL lift with a torsion bar twist.

#427156 - 11/04/05 07:15 AM Re: Alignment after Poor Man's lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Glacier:
My question is should I take the X to Nissan and let them do the alignment or can I ride it as is with no major problems? and what about the tow (toe)? Isn't that supposed to off since I raised the rear?
The tbar crank could affect both (toe and camber) since you raise the front forcing the uppercontrol arms up you change the angle the front tire are at from this : [ ] (normal camber)
to more like this: \ / (Negative camber)
which if not right can lead to improper tire wear.

You can notice if the toe is off when you let go of the wheel on a flat straight road to see if it tracks true (meaning drives straight and doesn't pull).

I would get it into a dealer, if not to get those bolts replaced but also as piece of mind that your tires will not be wearing unevenly on the outside edges.

#427157 - 11/04/05 08:56 AM Re: Alignment after Poor Man's lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

To free that bolt... if you can find it... Aero Kroil is the best penetrating oil on the market. It's pricy, but it works.

http://www.jdheritage.net/DeerelyDeparted/Items/4001.asp

My po' man's lift and alignment was done completely by Midas for $40 wink It's perfectly in spec.

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal