2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#433777 - 15/04/05 07:36 AM Upper Control Arm Bushings...
MaloCS Offline

Anyone here experience worn UCA bushings on the Calmini lift?

I am experiencing a "CLUNK" when the driver side UCA shifts about 1/8 of an inch. I know that the bushings are a "MAINTENANCE" item but I just wanted to know if anyone has experienced this?

Thanks. smile

PS - I have the black, non squeaky bushings.

#433778 - 15/04/05 08:15 AM Re: Upper Control Arm Bushings...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Honestly, it could be installer error. Well, not so much an error, but an oversight.

If you beat the hell out of your upper control arm cam bolts, to get them out, there's an extremely good chance you bent the mounting arms slightly. The inside of the arm gets bent out, slightly, from the cam bold sleeve. So it's almost like pushing out of the center of the mount. Unless you're looking for it specifically, you'll miss the bend. And if you don't make sure it's flush when you put it back on, you could have problems.

If when you put the new arms & bushings in, and there was the slightest amount of extra space, then that'll cause the bushings to wear out quicker than they should have. Tightening up the cam bolts will NOT pull the bend back in.

I figured this out, when my bushings in the AC arms wore out after only 8 months or so. Greasing didn't have anything to do with it, as it was the inside circumference of the bushing that was worn out.

You can easily tell if the bushings are worn. If you roll down the windows, back up a few feet, then jam the brakes. Watch out the window for the tire. If you either hear something odd, or if you see the tire move horizontally (front to back) any at all when you hit the brakes, and assuming your steering is fine, then it's your UCA bushings. And from what it sounds like in your post, your bushings are shot.

#433779 - 15/04/05 12:43 PM Re: Upper Control Arm Bushings...
Anonymous
Unregistered

They wear. Replace them.

#433780 - 15/04/05 08:33 PM Re: Upper Control Arm Bushings...
MaloCS Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Rat:
They wear. Replace them.
Just what I thought since the issue didn't manifest itself until almost 12 months after initial install.

PS - Would you guys recommend replacing the cam bolts? The last thing I want is for one of them to shear off while on the trail.

smile

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal