Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 232 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#430475 - 03/06/05 10:51 PM coil over shocks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Will my travel increase with coil over. They may work, baja trucks have great travel and they have IFS. Thoughts on this? [ThumbsUp] [ThumbsDown]

#430476 - 04/06/05 12:34 AM Re: coil over shocks
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
Your travel is limited by the upper and lower control arms hitting their bumpstops. Torsion bars or coil overs will not change this. You need to change the control arms. The aftermarket arms (Calmini, SLR, Rancho, AC) all replace the upper control arm to increase downtravel over stock. The most travel can be gained by hacking off the IFS front end and putting a properly designed solid axel suspension under it.

#430477 - 04/06/05 09:08 AM Re: coil over shocks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by meatheat:
Will my travel increase with coil over. They may work, baja trucks have great travel and they have IFS. Thoughts on this? [ThumbsUp] [ThumbsDown]
Steve is right. The arms are the limiting factor, not the shocks. If you want to increase the travel on the front of your X significantly, then you will either need to go with a long travel or an SAS kit. Both have advantages and disadvantages depending on what you are going to do while offroading. If you are set on getting coil-overs, then you will have to go with either the Total Chaos long travel or the Calmini SAS. They are the only one's on the market that convert to CO's and get rid of the T-bars. Neither one is a budget kit though. The CO's themselves can run pretty high depending on what manufacturer you like.

#430478 - 04/06/05 09:06 PM Re: coil over shocks
Anonymous
Unregistered

What is a long travel? I have SLR upper A-arms, money is no problem, I just don't want SAS yet. I would love to get ridd of my torsion bars, they seem to limit me.

#430479 - 04/06/05 09:14 PM Re: coil over shocks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by meatheat:
What is a long travel? I have SLR upper A-arms, money is no problem, I just don't want SAS yet. I would love to get ridd of my torsion bars, they seem to limit me.
This is an example of a long travel system for Xterras

http://www.chaosfab.com/xterra.html

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal