2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#434587 - 03/01/06 06:36 PM Susp lift questions / opinions
Anonymous
Unregistered

OK, my original thought was to go with the Calmini 3" susp lift, but after some more reading regarding the quality of the shocks I am leaning towards the AC Deluxe Kit with a leaf pack and the Bilsteins.

Any thoughts on this from people that have either setup?

#434588 - 03/01/06 06:54 PM Re: Susp lift questions / opinions
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
The AC Articulator kit might be the best bang for the buck out there.

Everyone I know with an AC SL kit (Not the Articulator, too new...) has been happy with it.

The SLR kit has better front wheel travel I think, but its the only one (We are talking about 3" lifts here...).

The Bils I have at least are great, and no one has complained about Bils, or Rancho's Shocks to me...other shocks, like Calmini's...yeah.

laugh

I ~ have 1/2 SLR and 1/2 Calmini suspension...I have the parts I liked from each. I have no AC suspension...unless I count the revolver shackles...which are still in my garage.

laugh

Frankly, other than the Rancho SL (Not the shocks...they're popular...), all the available lift kits seem to work fine...and hold up OK....and its not that the Rancho SL's fall apart, its just people didn't like the lack of ariculation, the 2.5" lift instead of 3", the short AAL, etc.

I did the SLR UCA's to get more downtravel and the diff drop kit to relieve resultant drooped CV angles.

I like survivability.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#434589 - 03/01/06 06:54 PM Re: Susp lift questions / opinions
Anonymous
Unregistered

i have the calmini set up and i am very happy with it. the directions for the install were very easy and complete. i have had no problems with it at all. i bet if you gave calmini a call they could sell you a kit without the shocks if you wanted.

#434590 - 03/01/06 06:59 PM Re: Susp lift questions / opinions
Anonymous
Unregistered

I remember someone saying that they got the Calmini kit minus the shocks for $100 less. Then I could get the 5100's. Sounds like it might be the best deal.

I am assuming that adding the zerks to the Calmini parts is not too hard... like hand drill and a tapping kit hard?

#434591 - 03/01/06 07:03 PM Re: Susp lift questions / opinions
Anonymous
Unregistered

i havnt done the zerks yet myself, but thats about it for installing them. just make sure you drill them where the two bushings meet

#434592 - 03/01/06 07:09 PM Re: Susp lift questions / opinions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Alex & TJ... I really appreciate you and all the others on here taking the time to answer questions!

#434593 - 03/01/06 10:00 PM Re: Susp lift questions / opinions
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have the calmini front and ac rear.

You will really want to do the zerks and it is much easier to do it off the X than on the X. Just get it done and it will save that annoying squeek you will hear later.

#434594 - 03/01/06 10:31 PM Re: Susp lift questions / opinions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Regarding getting grease in there if you're adding zircs, one nice thing about the bushings that come with the SLR arms is that they have little grease relief channels in them all the way around the center sleeve.

If you're pulling the arms off to add the zircs, and happen to need bushings too, then the SLR ones would be a nice addition.

Not sure if AC's have them or not.

Hope this helps.

#434595 - 04/01/06 04:08 AM Re: Susp lift questions / opinions
Anonymous
Unregistered

It looks like the AC kit has the zerks already on. Can't figure out why Calmini would have them when it seems everyone else does. The SLR kits look nice, but they are a bit pricey. I was hoping to be right around $1500 with the steering kit included for this project, and I definately want to add a leaf pack in the rear for the increased cargo capacity, I have been up against, or over the weight limits a few too many times already.

#434596 - 04/01/06 04:09 AM Re: Susp lift questions / opinions
Anonymous
Unregistered

sorry... why Calmini would have them...

#434597 - 04/01/06 05:27 AM Re: Susp lift questions / opinions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Calmini has said that they do not need them and they would not help in greasing. Not everyone is getting the squeek so not everyone has put zerks in.

AC & SLR do have the zerks installed. Whatever you get you will be happy. Just make sure when it goes on... it has zerks.

#434598 - 04/01/06 11:36 AM Re: Susp lift questions / opinions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mix n match to fit your own needs or budget. Buy it in pieces as many here have done. I'm still deciding whether or not to go the full 3". I've done my PML and already have new torsions on the X. AC, SLR, or Calmini, they are all tested and have the quality!

Rob

Oh, did I mention that I am a dad once again, this time to a 7lb 13oz girl?

#434599 - 04/01/06 05:22 PM Re: Susp lift questions / opinions
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
CONGRATULATIONS!

laugh

For the steering, the L&P with an Idler Arm Brace might be the best bet....it holds in all the planes of concern, and so far, no has had a problem....and it saves some $ over the Calmini an SLR and Total Chaos...which is nice.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#434600 - 04/01/06 08:36 PM Re: Susp lift questions / opinions
Anonymous
Unregistered

laugh

Thanks TJ!

laugh

Rob

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal