Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 90 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#433389 - 23/05/06 09:07 PM Another stripped Torsion Bar Mount
Anonymous
Unregistered

First off thanks for the help that this board has provided indirectly as a resource. Learned a lot just lurking around. IFS is a strange new beast to us straight axle folks.

So the post:
Got the lift on my brand new (to me) Xterra yesterday, and today as I'm driving the guy who's buying my old vehicle from work to my house, I hit a speed hump and pow, the front end drops. Kind of embarassing, but no resulting damage, so I limped the rest of the way down the street to homebase. Turns out the new Calmini t-bar had stripped out the rear mount clocking my front end down to nothing.
So I guess (so far) bravo to Calmini for the bar holding up and winning the battle, but now I need a new mount. I've seen a rare few cases on the boards of this happening. I'm hitting the dealer tomorrow (especially since I also managed to snap one of the ABS wires at the rear sensor during my install), but anybody know if finding the part is a problem? I thoght I had the bar all the way seated, but maybe I could have fought it some more in. Is this an ongoing prob with t-bars? I see the Gen 2's upgraded at the mount. So should I carry spares or just stay away from speed humps? smile

BTW, TJ's posted idea of adding quarters into a stripped mount to keep the susp up until making it home- pure ingenious.

Thanks again.
Oh yeah, does anybody know what tire size... Agh! Just kidding laugh

#433390 - 24/05/06 07:12 AM Re: Another stripped Torsion Bar Mount
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Gen-2s didn't "upgrade" at the torsion bar mount, they don't have torsion bars.

Why would the dealer have a problem finding the part?

Right side rear anchor is 54210-9Z000, left side is 54211-9Z000.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#433391 - 24/05/06 07:27 AM Re: Another stripped Torsion Bar Mount
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry, thought I read it was a weld design. Too much info to keep track of.

I guess I was just concerened the dealer wouldn't have it on hand when I got there and that it would have to be ordered (I'm selling my other vehicle out from under myself today and wouldn't have trans).

Thanks for the part number. Going during lunch.

#433392 - 24/05/06 09:18 AM Re: Another stripped Torsion Bar Mount
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Highly unlikely they'll have it in stock, but it should be 2 days out max to get one.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#433393 - 24/05/06 11:43 AM Re: Another stripped Torsion Bar Mount
Anonymous
Unregistered

Every time I've seen this happen has been due to improperly installing the Tbars. They have to be seated all the way into both anchors.

#433394 - 24/05/06 03:26 PM Re: Another stripped Torsion Bar Mount
Anonymous
Unregistered

K, I found one in town that actually had it. $60, no big deal, got it in hand. The ABS sensor though, I think I'll pass on for right now. Listed at $240, the parts guy said he'd give it to me for $160.

As for the improper seating, could be, but I'll blame my friend who was working on that side. My passenger T-bar held up just fine : )

#433395 - 24/05/06 09:23 PM Re: Another stripped Torsion Bar Mount
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dang it.
It couldn't have been seated properly. There's a good half inch difference between the rear frame mount and the lower control arm mount so the splines show too much on either side. (I also made sure it wasn't a length difference in the t-bars b/c the pass side is just fine).

So my question is then, what would cause that to happen? Is it that badly out of alignment? (the breakage happened 24hrs after the install and I didn't have a chance to hit the shop).
And yes I was an idiot (plus it wasn't in the instructions) and didn't mark the UCA bolts prior to removing for the lift.

If that's it, what part of the alignment pushes one side's suspension system back, thus closing the gap and making the t-bar fit.

Thanks

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal