2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#421023 - 19/11/06 12:04 PM PML to Full Suspension Lift - Worth It?
Anonymous
Unregistered

For those of you who started with a PML (1.5") and then converted it to a full suspension lift (3"), in retrospect was it worth it?

Of course, this is a bit subjective depending on what you were hoping to achieve versus the 'cost' of doing so. So, comments on why 'yes' or 'no' would be appreciated (anything from notable improvement in suspension performance vs too much expense for what you gained to the headaches of dealing with the stress on your steering system). Thanks!

#421024 - 19/11/06 03:03 PM Re: PML to Full Suspension Lift - Worth It?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I wish I had never wasted $$ on a "suspension lift" for my Frontier. It was a complete waste of money, as it doesn't give you any more tire clearance and gives only very little additional wheel travel.

For the money, it's not worth it.

Better off to do a body lift, larger tires, and save the cash for when you want to go solid axle if you're outwheeling the truck at that point.

#421025 - 19/11/06 07:46 PM Re: PML to Full Suspension Lift - Worth It?
Anonymous
Unregistered

i am very happy that i got the pml.

but not for the reasons that one would think. its more like i am happy because at the time i got the add-a-leafs, there was a new lift coming out and rumors of the solid axle swap from calmini also coming out. so i am happy i bought the pml, because if i had bought a full 3" lift and the steering upgrade (approximately $1500), i would have been severely pissed that i didn't wait until the sas actually had been released and found out that i had wasted all that money and would not have recouped the wasted money on selling the lift and steering upgrade.

i guess it all depends on what you want to do with your X. luckily for me i realized that i would not have been happy with any ifs lift before i wasted my money.

p.s. the only reason i got the pml is because my stock leafs were sagging and i got the slr leaf pack for $50.

#421026 - 19/11/06 08:45 PM Re: PML to Full Suspension Lift - Worth It?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by South Side Ninja:
i am very happy that i got the pml.

but not for the reasons that one would think. its more like i am happy because at the time i got the add-a-leafs, there was a new lift coming out and rumors of the solid axle swap from calmini also coming out. so i am happy i bought the pml, because if i had bought a full 3" lift and the steering upgrade (approximately $1500), i would have been severely pissed that i didn't wait until the sas actually had been released and found out that i had wasted all that money and would not have recouped the wasted money on selling the lift and steering upgrade.

i guess it all depends on what you want to do with your X. luckily for me i realized that i would not have been happy with any ifs lift before i wasted my money.

p.s. the only reason i got the pml is because my stock leafs were sagging and i got the slr leaf pack for $50.
Dude, check the question [Freak] he asked if it was worth it going from the PML to the full on 3" SL...not if you were happy with the PML.

The rest of the post makes perfect sense, though laugh If you're serious about rock crawling, then no, the 3" lift is NOT worth it. If you're into dirt roads to get you to fishing spots, camping spots, etc...and you're looking to get a bit more height then sure it's worth it. If you're looking to fit bigger tires, body lift all the way laugh

#421027 - 19/11/06 09:48 PM Re: PML to Full Suspension Lift - Worth It?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by ChefTyler:
...not if you were happy with the PML.

i see what you're saying Chef.
just giving a different perspective.

#421028 - 20/11/06 04:46 AM Re: PML to Full Suspension Lift - Worth It?
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Well...it depends on why you need ANY lift...

As mentioned...you don't get much tire clearance except at ride height...as the suspension still compresses up to the same point with or w/o a SL...

So for larger tires, its really a BL you need anyway.

The SL is for frame clearance, and maybe some extra wheel travel, especially in the back.

If you NEED another 1.5" of frame clearance...then you will want the 3" SL over the PML.

If not, then its a waste.

Same with larger tires...if you are not mounting tires that will hit on compression, the BL is a waste too....but, if you are, then you need it, etc.

As far as bang for the buck...its hard to beat a PML/BL/Revolver/longer rear shocked combo on 33's.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#421029 - 20/11/06 07:31 AM Re: PML to Full Suspension Lift - Worth It?
Xorand Offline

Loc: LA (Lower Alabama)
Don't forget that for each additional inch of tire diameter, you're essentially adding 1/2" of suspension lift. In other words, the entire truck is lifted due to the axles being lifted due to the larger diameter rubber.

So, going from stock 31" tires and no lift to a PML (1.5" lift) and 32" tires (another 0.5" lift) gives you 2" of (frame) lift. Make sense?

Hey, I just realized that when reading this thread. So I can tell everyone I have 2" of lift. laugh

#421030 - 20/11/06 07:48 AM Re: PML to Full Suspension Lift - Worth It?
TJ Offline

Yeah - the tires are the only true lift of the truck itself..as even the SL leaves the diffs at the same height, etc.

laugh

Which implies that w/o a BL, you can't get maximum diff clearance either.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

#421031 - 20/11/06 09:36 AM Re: PML to Full Suspension Lift - Worth It?
xterra3202 Offline

Loc: Georgia
I actually did the opposite. Had the full 3in lift with steering but just didnt like the way the truck rode, handled, and felt so I went to the PML and stock steering and love driving the truck again. Just my two cents.

Tim

Thomas Jefferson

#421032 - 20/11/06 01:27 PM Re: PML to Full Suspension Lift - Worth It?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I wish I would have just kept the PML and upgraded the steering...

But in retrospec, I bought mine before the SAS kit was thought of and it was a good idea then wink

If I had the choice now I would have spent that money on the SAS and 35's wink

#421033 - 20/11/06 01:38 PM Re: PML to Full Suspension Lift - Worth It?
Xorand Offline

Loc: LA (Lower Alabama)
Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
Which implies that w/o a BL, you can't get maximum diff clearance either.
Sure, you can:

#421034 - 20/11/06 01:47 PM Re: PML to Full Suspension Lift - Worth It?
TJ Offline

A Sawzall is still a BL, just more of a targeted lift.

laugh

#421035 - 20/11/06 05:23 PM Re: PML to Full Suspension Lift - Worth It?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
PML/BL/Revolver/longer rear shocked combo on 33's.

laugh
Right on, TJ. I was looking at your posts with the revolving shackles and that's exactly the route that I'm taking.

#421036 - 20/11/06 06:00 PM Re: PML to Full Suspension Lift - Worth It?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Screw the Lift, get a locker! laugh

If i could do it all over again, i'd start off with the PML, and then locker. Then i would go straight to SAS. Now i know SAS isn't for everyone nor do you just purchase one over night and thats cool, but a locker is so much more valuable. And as being apart of the RMXC, i could imagine it would be valuable to you as well. Good cheap alternative to getting more ground clearace is getting bigger tires which can be acheived through a body lift, but that another thread really.

So.. in answer to your question. Stick with the PML and use the money on a locker. smile

#421037 - 20/11/06 08:39 PM Re: PML to Full Suspension Lift - Worth It?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by PHXX:
Screw the Lift, get a locker! laugh

If i could do it all over again, i'd start off with the PML, and then locker. Then i would go straight to SAS. Now i know SAS isn't for everyone nor do you just purchase one over night and thats cool, but a locker is so much more valuable. And as being apart of the RMXC, i could imagine it would be valuable to you as well. Good cheap alternative to getting more ground clearace is getting bigger tires which can be acheived through a body lift, but that another thread really.

So.. in answer to your question. Stick with the PML and use the money on a locker. smile
My thoughts exactly! The extra 1.5" provided with the full suspension lift will not get you farther than a locker... I believe what Preston is referring to is getting a rear locker not necessarily a front locker. I think TJ is right on with the revolver shackles and longer shocks as part of the pml. Whether or not you do the body lift is up to you. You should be able to fit 33X10.50 tires on stock rims with the pml only.

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal