2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#431162 - 19/07/07 09:55 AM Toe question
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've been having a hard time keeping my toe aligned lately and I can't seem to figure out why.

Last alignment I've had done my toe was .30 and .29 on left and right sides respectively.

Thefactory sepcs for toe are .13-.21 How much more wear should I see if my toe stays at .29 and .30? I understand the wear pattern associated with the toe, I'm just trying to grasp some real world numbers and wear mileage.

#431163 - 19/07/07 04:42 PM Re: Toe question
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Hmmm...too much toe...with a lift, you want less than factory for toe typically.

Hows the caster/camber?

How much clearance do you have on the upper bumpstop?

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#431164 - 19/07/07 05:14 PM Re: Toe question
Anonymous
Unregistered

See, the caster is fine but there's too much negative camber, even though it's in "factory" specs. According to two places where I get my tires aligned there's not much that can be done to do more positive campber. They stated that it was about as much as it can be. I suppose it's a PML thing and a full 3" might fix that.

Yes, I think it's too much toe as well and I suppose I'm just going to have to bite it and get another tierod. I'll take it back to the original place first and talk to them. They seemed to have been able to alight it initially but something happened within the few days (they aligned it this past Sat and I had the printout - it was O.K.) and the alignment was off again. I didn't wheel those days neither did I hit anything.

I'm not too sure what's going on here.

#431165 - 19/07/07 05:45 PM Re: Toe question
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had problems with my alignment at first also. The outer edge of my muds were wearing like butter because of the stock alignment specs. So I just followed what has been posted for specs for the 3" lift (I only have the pml). It should be stock alignement for toe, 0 degrees camber, and then the caster doesnt really matter, but i think one side had to be .8 less than the other for an ideal alignment. Since then my tire have been wearing perfectly, after 9000 miles on my tires, i still have 17 out of 19/32s left.

Oh and that is bs about not getting the camber to zero. They might be worrying about getting the caster correct (which doesnt effect tire wear) and neglecting the camber, which is what they did to me at first. However, if they do have the camber bolts maxed out and you still have negative camber, you need to lower your tbars a little so you can get it to zero camber.

Hope this helps and isnt too confusing.

#431166 - 20/07/07 12:52 PM Re: Toe question
Anonymous
Unregistered

No, I know what you mean. Weird part is that my t-bars are not cranked that hight at all. It's like 1.25-1.35 inches higher.

It does look a little higher because the front is lifted a little by all the weight that I carry in the back.

#431167 - 20/07/07 01:52 PM Re: Toe question
Anonymous
Unregistered

well, just try out those specs next time you get it aligned and see how it works. There is thread somewhere that gives you the specs, I just dont have the time to find it right now.

#431168 - 20/07/07 06:30 PM Re: Toe question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, my problem is not camber, really, as my MT tires have laster for 18,000 now and are in realy good condition, the problem I have is keeping toe set. I've just replaced both tierods (two places told me they were frozen) and now one is still frozen. They adjusted it once but few days later it was out again and was not able to be adjusted.

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal