Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 232 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#424134 - 08/09/07 07:24 AM 3" bl vs 2" bl
Anonymous
Unregistered

i currently have the calmini sl with a 2" bl and just picked up a 3"bl through a deal i couldn't refuse. what all do i need to extend and how do i do the steering extension or is it really needed. i know the ps line and ebrake cable, fuel tube, is there anything else? i read somewhere that bl's cause damage to the steering,if so how?

#424135 - 08/09/07 08:06 AM Re: 3" bl vs 2" bl
Anonymous
Unregistered

Most of the extensions seem to be on an as-needed and per vehicle basis, some people need them, some don't. I didn't have to extend my power steering line (just relocated the resivour), didn't have the extend the fuel filler or e-brake cable either.

It is suggested to extend the tranny lever and xfer case lever, but I didn't have to do that on mine, and I actually like how the trans shifter is shorter now (5-spd). Some people have had issues being able to shift into 4-lo without the extension though.

The steering shaft extension, although, is a must, and was the most difficult task of my install. Included in the kit is a machined aluminum extension collar with female splines and male splines. You take the shaft out of the truck, slip on the extension, clamp it down and re-install the shaft. Sounds easy right?!?! The splines on mine were rusted together real bad, even soaking them with PB for a week prior didn't help that much. This process took about 3 hours, a 6-pack, BFH and a pry bar to complete.

Other than that, it was pretty straight forward.

Modified Power Steering res. bracket:
[img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/freestyledude/Xterra%20Lift/P1010885.jpg?t=1189263820[/img]
[img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/freestyledude/Xterra%20Lift/P1010886.jpg?t=1189263779[/img]

3">2" every day of the week cool

More Install Pics HERE

#424136 - 08/09/07 10:09 AM Re: 3" bl vs 2" bl
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks for the link to your pics. would this be the piece your talkin bout for the steering extension

#424137 - 08/09/07 10:30 AM Re: 3" bl vs 2" bl
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nope, I believe that is the weld-in patch for the shifter.

The steering piece looks like this. . . (this is not the exact one in your kit, just a picture of a similar one I found online.)

#424138 - 08/09/07 10:56 AM Re: 3" bl vs 2" bl
Anonymous
Unregistered

yea i don't have anything like that.when the guy took the kit off his truck he said it didn't have an extension on it

#424139 - 08/09/07 04:17 PM Re: 3" bl vs 2" bl
Anonymous
Unregistered

Personally, if you already have the 2in., it isn't worth the time for that inch. It won't make room for a larger tire. I had to move the floor board back two inches to be able to stuff a 35". Plus if you wheel-it, the twisting and flexing is more likely to kink a hose or break a fuel line, etc.
my .02c

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal