Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 155 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#428091 - 15/10/07 06:29 PM 3/4" PML ?!?!?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I started my PML, got to cranking on the torsion bars, and I had to stop, because I have a 1/2" (more like 3/8") left between the bump stops and the UCA's. There is a 1" height difference between front and back (higher in back). I have not yet put shackles on. If I do, I won't be able to match the lift, as I can't turn the t-bars any further.

I'm puzzled. I have no other mods that would affect this, no extra weight in the front end (other than me) laugh

Any suggestions?

Will re-indexing give me more lift in relation to the space between the stops and UCA? New T-bars?

#428092 - 15/10/07 07:22 PM Re: 3/4" PML ?!?!?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Don't quote me on this, if the Xterra had no rake, the top of the rear wheel well would be 3-4" higher than the top of the front wheel well. So, if you cranked your torsion bars, then the front would get closer to the rear height, but that wouldn't be right for the X.

For example, I just did the PML on my X 10 days ago. When I got done, the front where I measured was 32.25" from the ground. Then measuring from roughly the same spot on the rear wheel well, the distance was 38 or 39" (I don't remember exactly). Now, the suspension has settled a little and the same measuring points give about a 5" difference front to back, but the Xterra looks perfectly normal.

The most accurate measurements would be taken from the frame to ground on all four corners. This would give you a better idea of the difference from front to back and I'd guess that right now, with the torsion bars raised, you'll find that you need the rear shackles to return the Xterra to its proper ride/rake.

I'm no mechanic, but this makes sense to me. If you want someone's "look" opinion, either post a side view pic of your X as it is right now in the forum, or email me a pic to shumeivy@yahoo.com and I'll give you my opinion. Sometimes it's easier to see something and tell if it's normal than it is to describe it. Sorry if this isn't what you're looking for, but it's the best I can do. confused

#428093 - 16/10/07 05:19 AM Re: 3/4" PML ?!?!?
ripcurl2151 Offline

Loc: NJ
yea...if you've lifted the front and have a 1" difference now, you'd only have a 2.5" difference once you put the shackles on, which is normal. it really doesn't look bad, but if you don't like it you could re-index the tbars

#428094 - 16/10/07 03:17 PM Re: 3/4" PML ?!?!?
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by jc502:
I started my PML, got to cranking on the torsion bars, and I had to stop, because I have a 1/2" (more like 3/8") left between the bump stops and the UCA's. There is a 1" height difference between front and back (higher in back). I have not yet put shackles on. If I do, I won't be able to match the lift, as I can't turn the t-bars any further.

I'm puzzled. I have no other mods that would affect this, no extra weight in the front end (other than me) laugh

Any suggestions?

Will re-indexing give me more lift in relation to the space between the stops and UCA? New T-bars?
No...reindexing will NOT allow you to get any higher in your case, as you report that you are already cranked to the minimum bumpstop clearance as it is....so, even if you DID re-index, the UCA clearance would be EXACTLY the same as now.

So...the X is designed to rake nose down....you probably didn't notice before.

If you add a shackle about 3" longer than the ~ 3" stock shackle (~ 6" eye to eye for the new shackle...)...you'll have your front and rear 1.5" PML, just as you planned for.

laugh

(Re-indexing is just to get a new grip on the t-bar, so you can twist it more from a new position...

Like, if you cranked it as far as it would go, and you still had 1" of bumpstop clearance...THEN reindexing would help...

....you take the bar out of the adjuster lever splines, swing the finger (Adjuster lever) down a bit lower, and re-insert the end of the bar at the new position, so it will twist the bar more by the time it gets up into the cross member, giving more adjustment room again, etc.)

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#428095 - 16/10/07 06:15 PM Re: 3/4" PML ?!?!?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the input- I measured the top center of each wheel well lip, all measure 35". I measured the frame to cement, rear is roughly 3/8" higher than front. I'll try to get a pic soon.

I bought SLR 1" shackles. Their web site says they give 1" lift. They measure 4.5" center of eye to center of eye, 1.5" longer than stock. That would seem to be 3/4" of lift? I'm wondering if I should get Calmini's with 1.5" lift, and sell the SLR's?

Glad to hear my front end is where it should be.

Thanks again for all the input, as a novice mechanic, I don't know where I'd be w/o it!

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal