Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#427022 - 23/03/08 02:09 PM Sloppy Steering on '03
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello guys,

I recently did a pml with Bilsteins. Haven't gotten an alignment yet, will do it as soon as I get my lo pro bumpstops.

So far, the X drives superb. However, the steering is sloppy, I can wiggle the steering wheel an inch before resistance is felt.

Will a steering stabilizer help with sloppy steering, or better yet "mask" it? I've read that some people adjust the worm gear in the steering box.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

#427023 - 27/03/08 08:27 AM Re: Sloppy Steering on '03
Anonymous
Unregistered

If it's just steering wheel play, a worm gear adjustment is more apprpriate.

If you look under hood straight down on your steering box, you'll see a 17mm or so nut that has a screw in the middle of it. Loosen that nut with a wrench and turn the screw clockwise no more than 1/8-1/6 turn, and retighten the nut. That's all the ajustment that should be needed on the worm gear.

#427024 - 27/03/08 08:32 PM Re: Sloppy Steering on '03
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks alot Desert Rat! I will give that a try tomorrow. I haven't gotten an alignment yet since I bought the car at 62,000(now it is at 70,000). I will get one tomorrow since I recently put on a PML.

Hopefully that will help too, I also have the Bilstein Steering Stabilizer with the AC arm brace coming Monday, can't wait!

Thanks again.

#427025 - 28/03/08 05:54 AM Re: Sloppy Steering on '03
Anonymous
Unregistered

The steering stabilizer only reduces bump steer, your best bet is to get a HooHaa Centerlink before it gets much worse. Also, I hope you got the Idler Arm Brace with the Stabilizer.

#427026 - 28/03/08 01:03 PM Re: Sloppy Steering on '03
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yep I got the Arm brace as well. I gave the steering box screw a nudge(1/6th of a turn), it seemed to tightened a little bit. Can I keep turning the screw by 1/8? Or should I just stop now to prevent damage?

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal