2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#495092 - 03/03/10 04:09 PM Body Lift Install Cost??
IFS Xterra Offline

I'm on my 3rd X ('09) and this will be the first one I plan on doing some mild mods. I've read a lot on suspension vs body lifts and i'm pretty sure a body lift is more suited for what i'm interested in. Since i'm not a mechanic and not inclined to install my own BL, how much does something like that cost to have someone else do the work. I'm interested in a 2" lift and i've read I don't need to relocate anything under the hood so I know that will cut down on cost.

Any info would help, thanks.

#495097 - 04/03/10 02:43 AM Re: Body Lift Install Cost?? [Re: IFS Xterra]
swampwrecker Offline

Loc: Brunswick, GA
Installing a body lift is extensive work. I would expect a shop would charge a minimum of 6-8 hours for the install. Multiply that by what the shop charges per hour and you have a ball park figure. I would expect the finish product would end up costing more than the 6-8 hours.

You don't need to be mechanically inclined to install a body lift. The bulk of the work is just disconnecting everything that connects the body and frame. Lifting the body is relatively easy with a stable check. Then just reconnect everything. It does help to have a friend or two to lend a hand.

-Michael

#495112 - 04/03/10 01:08 PM Re: Body Lift Install Cost?? [Re: swampwrecker]
marty m Offline

Loc: Bay area, Ca.
Michael's right. Find 2 or more friends to help you put it on. Only one of you needs to be a little mechanically inclined. All you need is a jack, six to eight jack stands, basic metric sockets set, 2 days (to be safe), and some beer. you should be able to do it in one day though. The kit should come with 3 or for pages of instructions. As each of you finish a step, mark it off with a highlighter. It's also a good way to learn your truck. The hundreds of dollars you'll save can got towards a bumper or something.
You might even find some people from your local club to help?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#495116 - 04/03/10 01:56 PM Re: Body Lift Install Cost?? [Re: marty m]
swampwrecker Offline

When we installed my BL there were 4 of us. Only one of us had ever installed a BL on a Xterra before. It took us 6 hours to get the body lift installed and everything bolted back together. I then spent about 4 hours on my own relocating the bumpers.

Cost me a total of 2 Six Packs and 3 Pizzas. The money I saved installing it in the garage went towards a set of 33x12.50s.

-Michael

#495117 - 04/03/10 04:08 PM Re: Body Lift Install Cost?? [Re: swampwrecker]
IFS Xterra Offline

I would love to say that one Sunday I could grab a couple of friends and do the BL, but I know i'd only be fooling myself. The guy who plans on doing the lift is an acquaintance so i'm sure he won't bang me out on labor, but i'll definitely have to pay for his time. I honestly don't mind, at least I know it will be done right!

Thanks for the input guys.

#495122 - 05/03/10 03:44 AM Re: Body Lift Install Cost?? [Re: IFS Xterra]
swampwrecker Offline

Does his shop allow him to do work on the side? Perhaps you can have him help you on a day off and just pay him for his time without the shop overhead, etc added on. I have a few mechanic friends that do that after shop hours.

Just a thought.

-Michael

#495132 - 05/03/10 02:22 PM Re: Body Lift Install Cost?? [Re: swampwrecker]
IFS Xterra Offline

He owns the shop, but like I said he is an acquaintance and not a good friend so i'll pay for his time. Great thought though, thanks brother.

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal