Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#573031 - 27/05/10 01:41 PM Alcan Springs - few questions? replacing a broken spring pack.
lykofos Offline

The middle spring on the passenger side recently broke. It put a nice dent in the shock as it shot outwards too...pics to come soon. Hammered the broken piece back in the middle and clamped / duct taped it (yes, duct tape fixes everything). Anyway, I decided to just go with Alcan instead of doing a junkyard replacement.

I know they compenstae for weight when you call in and order. I have a rear tire carrier bumper with a 33x11.50 on it, so I'm guessing that's about 200-260lbs total, and then I have about 50 lbs of tools and gear.

My question is, do I order the leaf springs stock height or add a few inches to compensate for eventual sag? If so, how much: 1", 2", somewhere inbetween?

I'm running a PML (t-bar crank and calmini shackles). I'd like it to sit fairly level/even once the leafs sag/settle in (not a big fan of the ass up rake). Thanks for any help / suggestions.

Edited by lykofos (27/05/10 01:44 PM)

#573033 - 27/05/10 03:36 PM Re: Alcan Springs - few questions? replacing a broken spring pack. [Re: lykofos]
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
If they are making the springs to handle the amount of weight I would not go too overboard on lifting the springs up. Of course if you wanted to get rid of the calmini shackles then you might want more lift in the spring.

Something to think about.

#573042 - 28/05/10 01:46 PM Re: Alcan Springs - few questions? replacing a broken spring pack. [Re: XOC]
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Also remember that without the shackle swinging in/out, the leaf pack can't bow up/down very easily...hindering articulation.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#573143 - 04/06/10 06:17 PM Re: Alcan Springs - few questions? replacing a broken spring pack. [Re: TJ]
SvenDog Offline

Loc: CT
If you're going for the alcans, share with them how much weight you carry normally and then how much you might add for trips (like luggage, stuff, etc) so that they can plan for it.

I'd suggest getting something that is just a bit more height than what you have now so that you can deal with some settling. Then, when they eventually need refurbishing, it'll be something that you can do at a local spring shop.

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal