2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 110 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#427474 - 13/08/01 04:09 PM New lift info....
Mosi Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
I know I should be sticking this in the "camber on the AC lift" thread but some people may not be reading that. This applies to all of the lift kits that are offered for the X.

If you plan on lifting your X or even running bigger tires with a torsion lift, prepare for premature wear on the steering center link. I just got my truck back from the shop to have them check some things out and they said my center link is toast. Unfortunately you have to replace the whole thing and the part is about $150 if you DIY. I only have 27k on my truck BTW. I wonder how long this one will last? $150 every year or so wouldn't be bad but if they only last 10k or so.. that would suck!

#427475 - 13/08/01 07:57 PM Re: New lift info....
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
Mosi,

Bummer about the part wearing out that quickly frown

Anyway, tiring to better understand the situation so could you please clarify what part you're referring to as the centerlink and what actually you "toasted". I'm assuming you might be talking about the steering relay rod that's supported by & works with the pitman and idler arms? I know the plastic brushing(s) used in some of the linkage have been known to wear/cause problems.

Thanks for providing more details; IMO a better solution/part/bushing or something needs to be found if this problem is as prevalent as you indicated.

[ 08-14-2001: Message edited by: Xtoolbox ]

#427476 - 13/08/01 10:18 PM Re: New lift info....
Mosi Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
It's the swivel joints that are in the relay rod that are toast. You can't just replace the joints which sucks! I was simply refering to it as a center link since it is in fact a "center link" .. the proper term for the "center link" of the tie rod assembly is "tie-rod bar" according to the manual laugh

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal