2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#444674 - 02/06/05 06:55 PM Help Me Switch To Vonage!
Auditor_Kevin Offline

Loc: Dundee, IL
Hey Gang,

As I sit here paying my $65 SBC phone bill for:

9 long distance calls (all under an hour and only 4 that would constitute actual conversations)

25 local calls

I realize how much I need to get SBC's dick out of my ass and fight back. I don't care if the quality is worse for Vonage, it's now a matter of principal.

Here's my current setup - Comcast cable, one entrance into the house through a motorla surfboard cable modem. From there I either hook up the USB cable to my computer or the ethernet cable to my playstation.

With this being the case, I obviously have to switch to wireless. What should I get so I can run Vonage? I'll also need a router now, correct?

Don't think that I'll be offended if you talk down to me here, I'm really in the dark on home networking.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kevin

#444675 - 03/06/05 02:32 PM Re: Help Me Switch To Vonage!
TremorX Offline

Loc: Waycross, GA
I have Vonage.

It's INCREDIBLY easy to set up. Quite literally "plug and play." Plug it into your router (or let it act as your router if you don't have one already) and off it goes.

The quality is just fine, and usually only drops if I'm using the bandwidth for other stuff. The Vonage router will actually adjust itself to balance quality and bandwidth availablility. I've only noticed it sounding "digital" when I was on the phone while playing World of Warcraft.

My setup is:

[ ] - CABLE MODEM
|
[ ] - WIRELESS ROUTER
|\____[] - LAN
[ ] - VONAGE

#444676 - 03/06/05 02:35 PM Re: Help Me Switch To Vonage!
jorge Offline

Loc: Montclair, NJ
When you sign up for Vonage they sell you a router with two phone connectors.

It's a linksys.

You connect the route to your cable modem, then connect your network to the router.

If you want to connect a wifi access point, you can connect it to the router if you want.

I suggest Vonage greatly. Never had a problem with it. We're on the $14.99 plan and we've never gone over our 500 or so minutes.

Plethora of photos , videos , a Phlog ,
and a site with kittens .
www.njax.net
NJAX.net profile
--------------------
Homer, I see your daughter is one of those wave-kissing, Dukakis-hugging moon maidens.

#444677 - 03/06/05 02:36 PM Re: Help Me Switch To Vonage!
jorge Offline

Damn, I spent too long typing it seems, sorry for posting just about the same thing.

www.njax.net
NJAX.net profile
--------------------
Homer, I see your daughter is one of those wave-kissing, Dukakis-hugging moon maidens.

#444678 - 03/06/05 03:19 PM Re: Help Me Switch To Vonage!
Auditor_Kevin Offline

No apologies necessary. Thanks for the helpful first hand testimonials. I'm picking it up this weekend.

$60 a month for a handful of phone calls. SBC can blow me. mad

#444679 - 03/06/05 06:16 PM Re: Help Me Switch To Vonage!
FSRBIKER Offline

Loc: Oak Ridge, NJ
I heard you can not use a Fax machine with Vonage, is this correct? I have Verizon DSL now but could switch to Optimum Online Cable if it made a difference.

Now I did have Optimum Voice but it was horrible, it dropped a few calls a day and many, many times you could not dial out or the person calling you just got busy signals.
EOE...Opening Soon!

#444680 - 03/06/05 07:34 PM Re: Help Me Switch To Vonage!
jorge Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by FSRBIKER:
I heard you can not use a Fax machine with Vonage, is this correct?
That is untrue. They actually offer an extra fax line special for $9 more a month.

From Vonage.com:
Quote:

Less than a separate fax line from your old phone company, a Vonage fax line is only $9.99 per month with a one-time $9.99 activation fee. You get 250 minutes of local and long distance outgoing fax service plus unlimited incoming faxes each month. Extra local and long distance outgoing fax minutes are only 3.9 cents per minute. Outgoing international faxes are billed at our low international rates.

www.njax.net
NJAX.net profile
--------------------

#444681 - 03/06/05 07:38 PM Re: Help Me Switch To Vonage!
josebalado Offline

Loc: Oviedo, FL
Quote:
I heard you can not use a Fax machine with Vonage, is this correct
When i had cable it didn't work. but now that i have DSL it works fine. BTW bellsouth local and unlimited long distance with dsl and directv is cheaper then paying the cable company for it (its also more reliable). I only use the vonage line for International calls. Long distance calls within the US are free with my bellsouth line as well as the local calls, and it stills works when the power goes out unlike vonage.
why does everyone hate spammers so much, with the spam i've received i have been able to: get that PHD I have always wanted, get an enormous penis, get prescription drugs without that pesky prescription, have a russian AND japanese bride, and ive also just invested in this awesome African business! And thats just this week!

#444682 - 04/06/05 08:43 AM Re: Help Me Switch To Vonage!
NismoXse02 Offline

Loc: The Woodlands, TX
Couple questions as well. Did they ever get that 911 issue resolved? Also, what if you have a house alarm that's hooked up to the phone line?

#444683 - 05/06/05 09:44 PM Re: Help Me Switch To Vonage!
Anonymous
Unregistered

" I heard you can not use a Fax machine with Vonage, is this correct"

I use my fax machine over the same port that my regular phone is on (via a standard radio shack phone splitter). Works fine. I'm not paying the $10 or whatever for the separate fax line. I just set my fax machine to 9600bps, and dial *99 before the # I'm faxing. This solution, of coures, assumes you don't need a dedicated fax line since your house phone and fax are sharing the same line.

The *99 simply bumps the quality setting to "highest" for that call only.

EDIT: Oh yeah - I'm using Vonage on Adelphia cable. Works great! I'm using the Motorola ATA provided with Vonage as my main router now since my Netgear MR814 v1 SUCKS (just using it as a WAP now).

#444684 - 05/06/05 11:12 PM Re: Help Me Switch To Vonage!
Origami Gangsta Offline

Loc: Dammit! Even CLOSER to Smith a...
Been using it for four months, and one move later and it has been absolutely painless. No drop in quality, even if I'm downloading. Forwarded all my calls to my wife and I's cells during the move, they would ring at the same time, no problems at all. So far we have been very pleased with Vonage. We have the 24.99 unlimited plan, and we call long distance, local, whatever for less than $28 a month. Can't beat that.

I got a new router through them. I use Comcrap as well and it's been no problem with my phone. Just plug your modem into the router, plug one cable into your comp, one into my PS2, and one phone port into my phone and I'm golden.

#444685 - 06/06/05 06:01 AM Re: Help Me Switch To Vonage!
Lincoln Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally posted by 05_X:
" I heard you can not use a Fax machine with Vonage, is this correct"

I use my fax machine over the same port that my regular phone is on (via a standard radio shack phone splitter). Works fine. I'm not paying the $10 or whatever for the separate fax line. I just set my fax machine to 9600bps, and dial *99 before the # I'm faxing. This solution, of coures, assumes you don't need a dedicated fax line since your house phone and fax are sharing the same line.

The *99 simply bumps the quality setting to "highest" for that call only.

EDIT: Oh yeah - I'm using Vonage on Adelphia cable. Works great! I'm using the Motorola ATA provided with Vonage as my main router now since my Netgear MR814 v1 SUCKS (just using it as a WAP now).
I fax over a regular Vonage phone line all the time, I don't even dial *99.

Also, I believe someone said that they will sell you a router with 2 phone ports....they don't sell it to you, they send it free.

#444686 - 06/06/05 06:39 AM Re: Help Me Switch To Vonage!
Anonymous
Unregistered

"Also, I believe someone said that they will sell you a router with 2 phone ports....they don't sell it to you, they send it free."

Yeah, but the second port is for a second line (additional cost). If you only have a one line set up, that port is not used and you need a splitter anyway. At least that the way it works with the Motorola ATA they sent me a long time ago. Maybe the other newer ATA's work differently. no biggy.

#444687 - 06/06/05 07:21 AM Re: Help Me Switch To Vonage!
Anonymous
Unregistered

And their 911 issue really isn't the issue that the media makes it out. Basically, when you sign up w/ Vonage, in order for 911 to work, you have to turn it on. It's not on, automatically. To do that, you have to register your physical address. They give you good, clear directions on how to do that.

Then, if you call 911, you must tell the operator your address, in addition to the problem. Their equipment may or may not be able to trace the call to a physical address, the way they would w/ a landline. So all you have to do is be clear when you call them, and it's a piece of cake.

I've been w/ Vonage for about 3 months, and haven't had any problems with them. My company has been using VOIP for almost a year and a half, and there have been very little problems with it (most were at the very beginning, and that was Cisco's problems, not ours).

#444688 - 06/06/05 07:37 AM Re: Help Me Switch To Vonage!
NismoXse02 Offline

Does anyone have a home alarm? How does that work when you're on Vonage?

#444689 - 06/06/05 08:01 AM Re: Help Me Switch To Vonage!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by NismoXse02:
Does anyone have a home alarm? How does that work when you're on Vonage?
It shouldn't be any different. A home alarm is plugged into your phone line. Heck, there's a chance you'd end up with even better security, because what burglar is going to think to cut the cable line? Phone line, sure. But cable line? Why bother...

The only true downside to Vonage, or any VOIP setup, is that it's dependent on POWER. If the electricity goes out, you lose your phone. Whereas, a land-line telephone typically isn't on the same polls as the power, so the phone line doesn't normally go out just because the power does. You can fix this shortcoming, really easily, though. Just install a UPS system. For about $60, you can get a decent UPS. Plug in the cable modem, the Lynksys/Vonage Router, and your phone, to the UPS. Then when the power goes out, you're still fine.

#444690 - 06/06/05 06:58 PM Re: Help Me Switch To Vonage!
Auditor_Kevin Offline

Wow. Thanks to everyone for the great response thus far. Very informative thread. I stopped at my local Best Buy to pick up the Lynksis wireless router/Vonage adapter but they were out. Here's a link to what I'm talking about:

http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/111263/originURLEncoded/http%253A%252F%252Fwww.circuitcity.com%252Frpsm%252FcatOid%252F-12826%252FN%252F20012841%2B20012826%2B1263%252Frpem%252F ccd%252Fcategorylist.do/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do#tabs

I'll stop by the couple of Circuit Citys in my area to see if they have it.

One more question with this - what kind of adapter will I need for my laptop so it can also go wireless? I'll want to hook up my PS2 on the wireless system also (self admitted SOCOM II fiend), but I'm kind of worried about lag. I'd bug you guys for wireless PS2 adapter info but that should be easy enough to research on my own.

Thanks again everyone.

#444691 - 07/06/05 05:42 AM Re: Help Me Switch To Vonage!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have Vonage and I hate it. Probably go back to Verizon when I move. If you live in a very concentrated area like I do (NYC), the amount of bandwidth is critical to phone quality. I have poor audio quality, dropped calls, and whatever else you can think of. I live in an apartment building where the entire building uses Time Warner. Since cable is shared, as opposed to DSL which is dedicated, my bandwidth suffers through peaks and valleys. During the day, it's fine, but after 6:00 when people come home from work, it sucks.

Keep in mind, Vonage's technical support is notoriously bad. I mean REALLY bad. It's normal to wait an hour on hold.

#444692 - 07/06/05 06:54 AM Re: Help Me Switch To Vonage!
Anonymous
Unregistered

max6spd,
Sounds like the problem is that shared cable line in your building. If you're moving to a different building maybe you wont have that problem?
Might be worth taking it with you when you move to at least test it out. It would suck to have to back to paying all that $$ for a landline!
It wont cost you anything to relocate vonage, but you'll have to pay $$ for landline hook up costs.

Just a thought...

#444693 - 07/06/05 08:57 AM Re: Help Me Switch To Vonage!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by 05_X:
max6spd,
Sounds like the problem is that shared cable line in your building. If you're moving to a different building maybe you wont have that problem?
Might be worth taking it with you when you move to at least test it out. It would suck to have to back to paying all that $$ for a landline!
It wont cost you anything to relocate vonage, but you'll have to pay $$ for landline hook up costs.

Just a thought...
True. I was going to go with Verizon's Voicewing which is also VoIP, but through their DSL line. I'm hoping down the road I can get their FIOS.

#444694 - 07/06/05 09:21 AM Re: Help Me Switch To Vonage!
Steve49589 Offline

Loc: Windsor Locks, CT USA
Customer service is pretty bad.

Cost can't be beat - and you get all of the extras the baby bells charge you for. (But note that there are some options that they do not offer like anonymous call blocking and SMS text notification when you get a voice mail). Heck, they will send you an e-mail of the voicemail if you'd like - all I want is a text message - not an e-mail to my phone.

911 can be an issue. Note that when you dial 911 - after YOU set it up - it dials the LOCAL PD number and not through the E911 switch so ...

Two issues...
If someone else is calling 911 from your phone, they may assume that it is a true E911 call.
If the dispatcher is busy, he may elect to let a call from your number - on the standard PD number - roll to voicemail. He or she will not know that you dialed 911 - just that you are calling the local PD line.

BUT - I've heard that Vonage is working to get agreements worked out with the local carriers that handle the E911 traffic. I think they have already had a successful test in Rhode Island.

Power is an issue. You need it.

If the service goes down - you're out of luck. My issue is that in my new home, my cell phone coverage sucks - no back-up.

Good international rates.

Customer service is just not there yet. Can take a week for them to get back to you by e-mail.

Quality has been very good for me.

#444695 - 07/06/05 11:17 AM Re: Help Me Switch To Vonage!
vladimir10 Offline

I am looking at Vonage and othe VoIPs, but haven't found a lot about this part yet. Has anyone here had an experience with Vonage (or other VoIP) and the phone line for satellite tv, like Dishnetwork or Directv, the one they use to order PPVs and billing and such? Thanks

vladimir10

#444696 - 07/06/05 11:59 AM Re: Help Me Switch To Vonage!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by vladimir10:
I am looking at Vonage and othe VoIPs, but haven't found a lot about this part yet. Has anyone here had an experience with Vonage (or other VoIP) and the phone line for satellite tv, like Dishnetwork or Directv, the one they use to order PPVs and billing and such? Thanks
again, just like w/ a home security system, it doesn't matter. A VOIP line does not care what type of phone is attached to it. Whether it's a regular home phone, modem, alarm system, satellite modem, etc. It doesn't matter. The end that you plug into works the exact same as the plug that's in your house, right now. The end user can use it the exact same way as they would a regular phone line.

About the only thing I don't know, and you'd definately have to call a satellite company to find out, is how you could use VOIP, and get satellite TV & satellite internet. In theory, I don't know why it wouldn't work. It would just be a matter of getting the company to allow it to be hooked up that way.

#444697 - 07/06/05 01:31 PM Re: Help Me Switch To Vonage!
Chris Mc Offline

Loc: St Charles, MO
Quote:
Originally posted by porsche996:
Quote:
Originally posted by vladimir10:
[b]I am looking at Vonage and othe VoIPs, but haven't found a lot about this part yet. Has anyone here had an experience with Vonage (or other VoIP) and the phone line for satellite tv, like Dishnetwork or Directv, the one they use to order PPVs and billing and such? Thanks
again, just like w/ a home security system, it doesn't matter. A VOIP line does not care what type of phone is attached to it. Whether it's a regular home phone, modem, alarm system, satellite modem, etc. It doesn't matter. The end that you plug into works the exact same as the plug that's in your house, right now. The end user can use it the exact same way as they would a regular phone line.

About the only thing I don't know, and you'd definately have to call a satellite company to find out, is how you could use VOIP, and get satellite TV & satellite internet. In theory, I don't know why it wouldn't work. It would just be a matter of getting the company to allow it to be hooked up that way.[/b]
That is not at all true. VoIP works by sampling the analog (POTS) phone signal into digital (IP) similarly to the way music is recorded onto a CD. The reason VoIP is so efficient is that they use a low sampling rate, as voice uses just a very small spectrum of sound. Additionally, voice is not very time-sensitive as it will still be quite intelligible with delays and missing bits. Modem, fax, etc... signals, on the other hand, use much more of the sound spectrum and the sampling is much more time/quality-sensitive. This makes passing modem/etc.. signals over IP use much more bandwidth, and much more sensitive to line quality.

I manage a 1000+ device VoIP phone system at my employer (running 1 Cat5 to an office is cheaper than a Cat5 + a phone line). We have one of the 1st-Gen VoIP systems, and pulling analog signals good enough to run a modem or fax on only works off of some of our core switches, even using QoS (Quality of Service) and ToS (Type of Service) traffic-management. Even then, the fastest the modem will connect is about 24k. The biggest problem has been credit-card processing machines, although we have now gone to a more integrated POS solution.

VoIP over satellite will *work*, though it won't be ideal. Satellite-IP has an enormous amount of latency (as gamers know) due to the signal bouncing 27,000 miles up to the bird, then back down. Satellite VoIP is pretty much only useable for voice.

You should ask your VoIP rep sales VERY CLEARLY if they support it for every intended use you have, as a number of providers don't support it for security or satellite systems, much less modems. There is a chance it may work even though they don't support it, but don't plan on it. Most of the home systems provide QoS and ToS by way of seperate "In" and "Out" network ports. You then place the ATA adapter between your DSL (or Cable, etc) modem and your router. All your network traffic is then throttled to give the VoIP a dedicated amount of available bandwidth. If you frequently max out your bandwidth (that means you, gamers and pr0n freaks), make sure you hook it up this way (its not always mandatory).

#444698 - 07/06/05 02:05 PM Re: Help Me Switch To Vonage!
NismoXse02 Offline

Satellite high speed is about to be replaced by this anyway: http://www.globetel.net/ . That should really help with the Vonage service for users that can't get DSL or cable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Paul H 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal