Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 90 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#441206 - 07/12/05 06:18 AM Online schooling for IT
Anonymous
Unregistered

Right now i'm a secretary, and it's beat. I do some personal training on the side, which is okay, but where i live there's really not a market for that. I'm 20, and i'm ready for a new career. I'm really interested in computers and IT. I'm thinking about going to school online for an associates degree in computers. I need to do it online because i need to work full time as well, so i need something somewhat flexible. Just thought i'd put this out there to see if anyone is familiar with it and knows of any schools with a good reputation or any other advice. Thanks!! smile smile

#441207 - 07/12/05 07:17 AM Re: Online schooling for IT
off2cjb Offline

ITT.
Pheonix University.

#441208 - 07/12/05 07:25 AM Re: Online schooling for IT
Anonymous
Unregistered

i don't know where paradise, pa is, but out here, right about ten minutes outside philly, there's a phoenix university, not to mention AT LEAST 80 other universities and colleges. (i work at one of them). Additionally, there's a gym on every corner, and enough rich people around philly that i know several folks who make a living off being a personal trainer.

my $0.02...hope it helps... :p

#441209 - 07/12/05 07:34 AM Re: Online schooling for IT
Chris Mc Offline

Loc: St Charles, MO
Look closely at the school's accreditation if you have any interest in ever pursuing more education. Many of the online schools are not accredited, and many that are will not be accepted by 4-yr uni's. Phoenix University did not make the cut for accreditation, so they sued the accrediting body (North Central Association, or NCA). NCA did not have the financial resource to fight the case, so they caved and gave them the stamp. Not many 4-yr schools will accept credits from Phoenix. ITT is probably in the same boat. I'd recommend looking at your local community college(s). Most have at least partially online degree paths now, and are much more highly looked-upon by 4-yr+ schools.

#441210 - 09/12/05 02:18 PM Re: Online schooling for IT
Coop Offline

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
Another vote for sticking with a community college over one of the online shams.

Someone with a "degree" from Phoenix wouldn't even get second look if their resume passed over most hiring managers' desks.

Now-days most urban universities and community colleges have very extensive night programs that really cater to people working during the day, and provide education leaps and bounds better than what those online universities do. It will likely cost more, take more effort, and more sacrifice, but will pay off long term.

#441211 - 22/12/05 12:37 AM Re: Online schooling for IT
Anonymous
Unregistered

I use to go to the local community college, but transfered to University of Phoenix online in September. I like the 5 week classes and that all the classwork interaction is online so I don't have to drive 20 minutes to go sit in a classroom 3 to 5 days a week. Also VA GI Bill accepts the 1 class every 5 weeks as full-time. so you get full-time rate from the VA.

#441212 - 22/12/05 07:47 AM Re: Online schooling for IT
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nancy,

I started at a local community college at night and then at UT, but it was too time consuming and I hated the fact that my instructors weren't teaching their specialty or what their background was in. I've spent 3 1/2 years and almost $40k on my Phoenix education and can say that it is no sham. I have 8 more courses to go and get to visit AZ.

UOP requires faculty to at least have a Master's and 5 years relevant work experience in their field before you can teach. Then the faculty are certified in what they teach and limited to that only. So you don't get a computer science professor teaching English and vice versa.

I know at least 3 people that have done extremely well with a degree from UOP, and most go on to an MBA.

Phoenix publishes a magazine with success stories in it, and there hundreds in each issue. One of those that I remember was a recent promoted VP at Chase Bank who earned her degrees from UOP.

For anyone thinking about Phoenix, there are a couple of things you need to consider.
A. Are you disciplined enough to commit yourself to the time requirements?
B. Can you really afford it in the long run? Community college is MUCH cheaper.

I've seen many students fail and struggle trying to manage work, family, and school.

I highly recommend Phoenix, but make sure your ready to commit yourself to it. And depending on the amount of credits you currently have, it can take you up to four years to complete, just like any other university. There are over 250,000 students right now, but your classes will be maxed at 15 and average about 12 after people drop and change schedules. They have great programs and professors that really know their field. One of my management courses was taught by a former VP at Kraft Foods. The instructors are both working adults and professors at regular universities. I’ve had professors from the University of Florida, Virginia, and others. A few courses ago, one of them held a B.S. (2) MBAs, PhD, and she was working on her JD.

If you decide to do it, good luck with it!

#441213 - 22/12/05 04:13 PM Re: Online schooling for IT
Anonymous
Unregistered

The University of Maryland (yes, the Terps...) offer a few online degrees. If you can scrape up the out of state tuition, it may well be your best bet. Fully accredited, and a good university to boot.

Moderator:  Paul H 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal