Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#438693 - 24/07/06 01:13 PM Intel Core 2 Duo
AverysX Offline

Loc: Austin, Tx
I almost wet my panties when I saw the performance results for these cpu's.

Anyone here planning on picking one up when they come out?

I've already got my money ready for the E6600!

Heres the site I read that has the info: Link

Around 350 bucks for a cpu that stomps a thousand dollar cpu.

I'm in!

#438694 - 03/08/06 09:57 AM Re: Intel Core 2 Duo
Anonymous
Unregistered

They look great, but the real question is how long until they're in laptops. I'm looking at a laptop for school, and want something that will be nice and powerful......

#438695 - 03/08/06 10:21 AM Re: Intel Core 2 Duo
2001frontier Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
I just bought a AMD 4200 about 3 months ago. I hate the way the motherboard for it fits in my case though with my SLI setup, so I will probably upgrade to one of these in a few months.

#438696 - 03/08/06 11:07 AM Re: Intel Core 2 Duo
Anonymous
Unregistered

In about 4 months or so kentsfield will be out with a quad core laugh

#438697 - 03/08/06 02:36 PM Re: Intel Core 2 Duo
Anonymous
Unregistered

We are already getting them in our IBM T60s. Our engineers love em!

#438698 - 03/08/06 04:01 PM Re: Intel Core 2 Duo
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by AndrewH:
We are already getting them in our IBM T60s. Our engineers love em!
Is it the core 2 duos or the core duos in the laptops. From everything I've been able to find out, the core 2 duos aren't available yet in a mobile platform, only the core duos are...

#438699 - 03/08/06 05:55 PM Re: Intel Core 2 Duo
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
Quote:
Originally posted by Nochor:
Quote:
Originally posted by AndrewH:
[b]We are already getting them in our IBM T60s. Our engineers love em!
Is it the core 2 duos or the core duos in the laptops. From everything I've been able to find out, the core 2 duos aren't available yet in a mobile platform, only the core duos are...[/b]
They are supposed to be out at the end of this month.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#438700 - 03/08/06 06:11 PM Re: Intel Core 2 Duo
Anonymous
Unregistered

If that's the case then i'll wait the month before getting a laptop laugh

#438701 - 04/08/06 06:46 AM Re: Intel Core 2 Duo
Coop Offline

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
The difference between the existing Core Duo processors that are already available in notebooks (Yonah) and the Core 2 Duo (merom) that is coming out is mainly more L2 Cache and of course 64 bit processing...

The Yonah processors are plenty powerful right now, and as I understand it, upgradeable to merom. (The chips are pin compatible, but BIOS updates will probably be required to make things work).

The real thing to look for in a notebook if you want high-end power is video card. You can have the fastest processor out there, but if you have an Intel itegrated graphics card, you aren't going to be able to leverage the power you have in games.

You'll be better off with a Yonah and something like the Nvidia GeForce Go 7900GTX than with a Merom and a lower end card... If you're looking for gaming performance...

#438702 - 04/08/06 07:05 AM Re: Intel Core 2 Duo
2001frontier Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
True. I wonder what kind of benefit I would realize with a new mobo, the middle tier chip, and the faster available memory, as compared to my 4200+ setup. I am running two 7900GTX cards currently.

#438703 - 05/08/06 06:43 AM Re: Intel Core 2 Duo
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Coop:
The difference between the existing Core Duo processors that are already available in notebooks (Yonah) and the Core 2 Duo (merom) that is coming out is mainly more L2 Cache and of course 64 bit processing...

The Yonah processors are plenty powerful right now, and as I understand it, upgradeable to merom. (The chips are pin compatible, but BIOS updates will probably be required to make things work).

The real thing to look for in a notebook if you want high-end power is video card. You can have the fastest processor out there, but if you have an Intel itegrated graphics card, you aren't going to be able to leverage the power you have in games.

You'll be better off with a Yonah and something like the Nvidia GeForce Go 7900GTX than with a Merom and a lower end card... If you're looking for gaming performance...
I'm figuring that I'm going to get a decent card as well. I figure if I spend the money now, and get something higher end it will last me a while. Did the same with my old desktop, and it's lasted about 5 years before hitting a wall. Also for what I'm going to be doing I'm thinking a Quadro might be more in line with what I need.... smile

#438704 - 05/08/06 09:37 PM Re: Intel Core 2 Duo
AverysX Offline

Loc: Austin, Tx
I think Im gonna go with the E6400 instead of the E6600.

Anyone know a site where I can see performance results of the Non-overclocked E6400 against the AMD lineup?

All the sites I have seen are overclocked 6700's and X6800's.

On A side note, The great thing about this is the AMD and the Pentium 4 prices are dropping like rocks.

Moderator:  Paul H 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal