2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#445168 - 11/09/07 09:03 PM Dell 2407WFP-HC
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi guys,

Does anybody have this monitor? I love digital photography and I am thinking of getting a new MacBook + this monitor for my digital dark room. If anybody has any experience with this monitor, please let me know.

Thank you,

#445169 - 12/09/07 09:03 AM Re: Dell 2407WFP-HC
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Dell Ultrasharp series are awesome. I have a pair of Ultrasharp 19's at work and am very happy with em.

#445170 - 12/09/07 09:07 AM Re: Dell 2407WFP-HC
Anonymous
Unregistered

If that is the 24" widescreen monitor, then I have 2 of them and love them!

Granted they were my first flatscreen monitors, but I haven't had any problems with them since I got them 3 years ago.

And the colors are absolutely amazing. Colors that don't show up on other monitors pop right out of the screen!

#445171 - 13/09/07 08:57 PM Re: Dell 2407WFP-HC
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Be sure to sign up for the Dell newsletters - the small home/office one comes out with deals all the time.

#445172 - 13/09/07 08:59 PM Re: Dell 2407WFP-HC
DocNo Offline

#445173 - 13/09/07 09:16 PM Re: Dell 2407WFP-HC
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've been playing Bioshock on that monitor and it looks brilliant!

#445174 - 14/09/07 04:02 PM Re: Dell 2407WFP-HC
Anonymous
Unregistered

Where are the specs?

I bought a laptop a year or so ago, the E1505 with the ultra-sharp display with true-life (the best they had as an option) not really understanding what I was getting into. While this is a beautiful display for this laptop, it's WAY too high a resolution at 1680 x 1050 @ 15.5" - the pixels are literally pin size. Dropping the display to a lower resolution makes text look fuzzy as a simple line gets blurred across 2 or 3 pixels - sort of like the 'clear type' effect on everything.

Anyway, just wanted to pipe in - Dell does make some great displays. smile

#445175 - 15/09/07 09:01 PM Re: Dell 2407WFP-HC
Anonymous
Unregistered

I got it! Should be arriving in about 10 days. I have no idea why it is taking so long.

This is an updated version of their 24" monitor. HC stands for high color or something like that. This shows 92% of NTSC color gamut which is pretty darn good compared to the rest of the LCD monitors which show around 70%. I hope it plays nice with my new MacBook.

One thing though -- Dell's service sucks. I got the monitor for $669. In the morning I woke up to check the order and the web site (just for the heck of it). The price on the monitor went down. It was $569.

I called Dell to see if I could get $100 off my order. After talking to some guy in India for 10 minutes and waiting for another 10 minutes while he was researching the price, it turned out that I could get no more than $50 off. I canceled the order and purchased a new one.

This was a big month for me so far:

- MacBook
- Monitor
- Spyder2 color calibration software

Had to give some car mods, but it will be worth it at the end smile

#445176 - 15/09/07 09:12 PM Re: Dell 2407WFP-HC
DocNo Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by whiterussian:
- Spyder2 color calibration software
How do you like that?

I'm going to be picking up an Intel Mac here soon so I can get either Aperture or LightRoom to play with my new Canon EOS camera. Color calibration is something I will be looking into as well.

I understand some of the Spyder systems will only calibrate one monitor - which one did you get? Do they have something that will also calibrate your printer too? It's literally been 10 years since I have dealt with color calibration - I have no clue what is out there now, but am just starting to pay attention to it again.

#445177 - 16/09/07 02:51 PM Re: Dell 2407WFP-HC
kirby34 Offline

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Dang. Looks like a good price for that monitor. I seem to remember paying almost that much for my 19" Dell LCD way back when. Don't get me started on Dell service - I don't want to threadjack. Hehe.

#445178 - 16/09/07 03:05 PM Re: Dell 2407WFP-HC
Anonymous
Unregistered

As a side note, I do want to mention something about Dell Service. They are...easily confusable.

I convinced the sales rep I was talking to, to give me the computer I wanted (high end), plus 3 year all inclusive warranty, plus a free upgrade to a 24" monitor from a 17", for less than $1400.

When it all arrived, she included a second 24" monitor, free of charge. At the time, the monitors were about $800 each. So getting 2 of them free, plus a computer, plus incredible warranty, just goes to show a little something.

Will my next computer be a Dell? Possibly my next desktop. Then again, I just bought a Powerbook laptop, and have already become a convert to the Mac world!

#445179 - 17/09/07 08:54 PM Re: Dell 2407WFP-HC
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by DocNo:
Quote:
Originally posted by whiterussian:
[b]- Spyder2 color calibration software
How do you like that?

I'm going to be picking up an Intel Mac here soon so I can get either Aperture or LightRoom to play with my new Canon EOS camera. Color calibration is something I will be looking into as well.

I understand some of the Spyder systems will only calibrate one monitor - which one did you get? Do they have something that will also calibrate your printer too? It's literally been 10 years since I have dealt with color calibration - I have no clue what is out there now, but am just starting to pay attention to it again.[/b]
Are you going to print at home? If so, good luck to you smile To be honest with you, I gave up. I simply want to calibrate the monitor so the colors look like what they are supposed to look like. The rebate on MacBook helped a lot; otherwise, I would have stuck with my default sRGB color space. I don't recall getting bad prints straight out of the camera (D70) in terms of color. My biggest problem was a bad LCD monitor that made it hard to do any sort of additional color coordination.

BTW, going from PowerBook to MacBook is a betch. I got spolied by a nice laptop. Hopefully, the monitor will help to ease the difference.

Moderator:  Paul H 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal