Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#445197 - 28/10/05 12:55 PM Computer problem question
NismoXse02 Offline

Loc: The Woodlands, TX
I've got a PC issue that I'm trying to diagnose. When I turn the computer on, all the fans on the motherboard, the light and everything else seems to turn on, but it doesn't sound like the computer really turns on if you know what I mean. I don't get a BIOS screen or anything at all on the screen. I checked and the hard drive works fine another computer. What is most likely the problem? confused

#445198 - 28/10/05 01:04 PM Re: Computer problem question
Samueul Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA. USA
Do you get any post errors? Beeps etc?

If not, it could just be a bad video card, monitor, or your powersupply is going bad, so you're getting enough juice to "run" things, but not enough.

Does the monitor light turn from amber to green? This would at least signify a signal is being passed over the cable.

I'd try a video card or monitor from another PC if you have one available... or put yours in another to replicate the issue..

#445199 - 28/10/05 02:59 PM Re: Computer problem question
NismoXse02 Offline

Very good questions. I'm going to come in over the weekend and see if any of that helps. If I still have problems, I will post again. If I figure it out, I'll let you know what the answer is. smile

#445200 - 28/10/05 03:03 PM Re: Computer problem question
Anonymous
Unregistered

yeah, what ^ said... what were you doing before this happened? change any parts? open anything up? did it just start happening all of a sudden?

#445201 - 28/10/05 06:04 PM Re: Computer problem question
NismoXse02 Offline

Yeah, this was out of no where. The computer worked fine the day before, turned it off... came in the next day and this happened out of nowhere.

#445202 - 28/10/05 08:36 PM Re: Computer problem question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Try another monitor on it before you start changing parts.!! Also check if the monitor cable is intact/connected correctly. Good luck.
PS..you didnt leave a disk in the drive..did ya??

#445203 - 28/10/05 10:49 PM Re: Computer problem question
Anonymous
Unregistered

even if he did leave a disk in the drive he'd still get a bios screen.
if you've opened the case recently, check that the memory is seated properly.

#445204 - 29/10/05 07:32 AM Re: Computer problem question
Anonymous
Unregistered

The same thing happened to mine a few months ago. It sounded like it was getting stuck while booting up, it would beep, click but never do anything else. I got it to come on once and gave me some bios errors. I changed the battery on the motherboard that saves those settings and it got rid of all my problems.

Leon

#445205 - 31/10/05 08:10 AM Re: Computer problem question
NismoXse02 Offline

Hey guys, thanks for the good info. Just wanted to give you an update. I think it may have been both the power supply and video card. It could very well have been just the video card. Anyway, I replaced the power supply. When I turned it on, I actually got a beep and normal sounding booting, but still no video. Then, I replaced the video card and it all works again. I don't know if a bad power supply could ruin the video card, but I tend to think both went bad. Anyway, thanks for all the great advice. The techies on XOC come through again! [Wave]

#445206 - 31/10/05 09:23 AM Re: Computer problem question
Anonymous
Unregistered

silly question, but is your PC connected to a power strip/surge protector? Power surge coulda knocked out the power supply and vid card, or anything for that matter.

#445207 - 31/10/05 09:29 AM Re: Computer problem question
NismoXse02 Offline

Yes. smile

#445208 - 31/10/05 11:58 AM Re: Computer problem question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bad power supplies can destory ALL the internal parts of computers. Buy sn Antec powersupply and get the Antec power supply tester as well.

Cheap no-name, or off name brands of power supplies should be avoided at all costs.....Antec is the way to go for powersupplies.

#445209 - 31/10/05 12:19 PM Re: Computer problem question
NismoXse02 Offline

The power supply that failed was Raidmax which I believe is a pretty well known brand.

#445210 - 31/10/05 12:22 PM Re: Computer problem question
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have had this problem before (sounds just the same as yours), and it normally happens when the power goes out. My computer will not start up for a while (maybe an hour, maybe a day) and just sits on a black screen. I know exactly what beep sound you are talking about and I don't get that either when it happnes. Yes my computer is plugged into a surge protector.

#445211 - 31/10/05 06:40 PM Re: Computer problem question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nismo, believe it or not, Raidmax are actually on a list of powersupplies to avoid. I'll try to dig up that site for you....

#445212 - 31/10/05 10:14 PM Re: Computer problem question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here are a few sites worth reading about power supplies:

http://compreviews.about.com/cs/casesandmods/bb/aabybpsus.htm

http://www.devhardware.com/c/a/Power-Sup...ke-the-Grade/3/

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article28-page1.html

I am still looking for the list I had of power supplies to by and which ones to avoid.

HERE\'S a nice little tool to help determine the correct power supply wattage you need.

[Wave]

Moderator:  Paul H 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal