Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#439562 - 03/09/07 01:55 AM IE7 crap
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yea, I'm late, so what, I kept IE6 for testing.

I finally updated to IE7 and am having trouble understanding how to do something I have done since the beginning of time, drag a link from one tab to another.

I do this in Firefox, and used to do it from window to window in IE6 and prior. It works in every browser ever made. Ever. When I drag a link from Tab 1 to Tab 2, it opens in Tab 1... did Microsoft seriously not add the one line of code needed to do this?

Any hacks to make this possible, as IE7 is basically unusable for me this way.

#439563 - 03/09/07 09:39 AM Re: IE7 crap
Anonymous
Unregistered

Did you try to CTRL+Left Click a link? That opens a new tab. Easier and faster than dragging links.

Or right click and select the 2nd option "open in new tab".

Shift+click is a new window.

#439564 - 03/09/07 02:29 PM Re: IE7 crap
Anonymous
Unregistered

Roller Mouse? Click on the roller.

#439565 - 03/09/07 09:29 PM Re: IE7 crap
Anonymous
Unregistered

Those open them in a new tab, I don't want a new tab.

XOC is a perfect example of how I work. I have one window with search results, then drag a link to a window for viewing. Opening new tabs and closing old tabs is just a way to waste RAM as IE has never cleaned up after itself well.

Truly shocking Microsoft didn't test this functionality. I actually found a link about how their tabs work, and that an individual tab cannot be targetted via a script. Odd that a bunch of people at Mozilla figured it out.

Looks like I'll just disable the tab feature and continue to use multiple windows.

#439566 - 04/09/07 03:50 PM Re: IE7 crap
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yep, seems it's not gonna work the way you want, but you may give the IE7 way a try instead of fighting it.

If using the XOC example, open up your search page and get your list of threads. Now open the links into a new window or tab any thread. Clicking is less actions than dragging. It's either your finger or your wrist doing the work. Once you're done with the thread close the tab or window.

#439567 - 04/09/07 04:46 PM Re: IE7 crap
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thats exactly why Firefox/Mozilla Rocks. laugh

#439568 - 07/09/07 07:59 AM Re: IE7 crap
Coop Offline

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
The Firefox memory leak is why it doesn't rock. It's actually worse in the latest alpha versions of the browser too, so once again it's probably not going to be addressed properly. I still use it, but am getting sick of having to restart it so often.

Each of them have their issues... Maybe it's time to give Opera a look again.

#439569 - 07/09/07 08:01 AM Re: IE7 crap
Anonymous
Unregistered

Memory Leak.... hmmmmmm. Any info on this?

I use it all day and rarely have to restart it. My only complaints are that Firefox will NOT work with our MLS systems. That is the only reason I use IE.

#439570 - 07/09/07 09:19 AM Re: IE7 crap
Coop Offline

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
google firefox memory leak... there's plenty of info... It was supposed to be fixed in 2.0, but from what I can see it's no better. Blame gets tossed all around on this... Some say it's supposed to do what it does, other say it's bad extensions... I really don't care, what it does isn't right.

I've got 2 tabs open and FF is reporting 195MB of memory usage... Eventually this gets way out of hand, and FF starts acting weird or locking for a period of time. I keep firefox up and running for extended periods, and don't reboot often... that's not an excuse though, an application should not accrue memory like this. I get this behavior with just one installed extension, All-in-one gestures, which I doubt is the problem.

Moderator:  Paul H 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal