2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#446733 - 08/03/08 09:31 AM Macbook Air
Claus Offline

Anybody else got one?

Funny how I keep being blown away by Apples products. I love this thing!.

#446734 - 08/03/08 10:04 AM Re: Macbook Air
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
I like what Apple puts out...but the Air is a waste of money. Slow (the MacBook does better) and still the wrong size - it's not the thinness, it's the FOOTPRINT they should have worked on - put a 12" screen on the damn thing.

I would never trust it in ANY backpack on a flight.

But hey...that's just me. Like I said, I like Mac products, so it's not like I'm the "PC is better" type.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#446735 - 08/03/08 11:41 AM Re: Macbook Air
Claus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Mobycat:
I like what Apple puts out...but the Air is a waste of money. Slow (the MacBook does better) and still the wrong size - it's not the thinness, it's the FOOTPRINT they should have worked on - put a 12" screen on the damn thing.

I would never trust it in ANY backpack on a flight.

But hey...that's just me. Like I said, I like Mac products, so it's not like I'm the "PC is better" type.
Dude, I just sold my Macbook and are typing this on my new Air. have you held this thing?. Yes it is extremely light, but as, if not more durable than the plastic Macbook. I have a neoprene sleeve and a Dakine padded backpack for it and I would take it anywhere without hesitation.

I was looking for something to replace my old Dell 720M (ultra portable) and thought the Macbook would do it, but this is the BOMB. Yes the price tag is steep but you surely get what you pay for.

and you slow comment......well drive it to appreciate it, there is NO difference in operating speed when working on normal applications, given the MBA has 2GB of ram as standard...

Waste of $$...that is relative, all depends on the user nes pa?

#446736 - 08/03/08 01:59 PM Re: Macbook Air
Anonymous
Unregistered

[Rainbow]

#446737 - 08/03/08 04:46 PM Re: Macbook Air
XterrAZ Offline

Loc: Anthem, Arizona
Quote:
Originally posted by fog:
[Rainbow]
Claus or the notebook?

[Laughing]

#446738 - 08/03/08 06:05 PM Re: Macbook Air
Claus Offline

Quote:
[Rainbow]
go fuck yourself....

#446739 - 08/03/08 06:12 PM Re: Macbook Air
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Claus:
Quote:
[b] [Rainbow]
go fuck yourself....[/b]
How does "DO YOU HAVE ANYTHING BETTER TO DROP 2K ON?" suit you?

Lighten up Francis.....just saying laugh

[drink]

#446740 - 08/03/08 08:47 PM Re: Macbook Air
Anonymous
Unregistered

No media drive, limited 80GB HDD, USB port that only works with a dongle, 802.11n issues, CPU shutdown due to overheating, no user replacable battery, the list of issues with the Air is practically endless. It will be a sweet notebook next year, when version 2 is released.

#446741 - 08/03/08 11:36 PM Re: Macbook Air
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah, this is a laptop for those seeking ultra light, not those seeking a workstation. I'm thinking executives who want to pull open the web or powerpoint presentation occasionally, not the student or commuter who needs extended battery time (extra batteries not an option). Fly to Europe, thing would be dead weight before most of us even hit the ocean.

#446742 - 09/03/08 01:51 AM Re: Macbook Air
Claus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by bpc:
Quote:
Originally posted by Claus:
[b]
Quote:
[b] [Rainbow]
go fuck yourself....[/b]
How does "DO YOU HAVE ANYTHING BETTER TO DROP 2K ON?" suit you?

Lighten up Francis.....just saying laugh

[drink] [/b]
Moderator????....whos salad are you tossin???

#446743 - 09/03/08 03:29 AM Re: Macbook Air
Claus Offline

Quote:
No media drive, limited 80GB HDD, USB port that only works with a dongle, 802.11n issues, CPU shutdown due to overheating, no user replacable battery, the list of issues with the Air is practically endless. It will be a sweet notebook next year, when version 2 is released.
Wow you shoot your gob as you read to get heard don't ya. did you get a chance to test?, or did you buy PC magazine on your way home from the 3rd shift of the executive parking lot at Sears valet parking handidarts.

FYI...the Battery made is 3.37 hours...NO over heating...I worked almost 3 hours doing network related stuff while sharing some Linkin Park on our network....

Limited 80 GB HDD???? do tell,

Dongle, yup I only need to connect to my 7 point USB hub when I am parked in my office......

so FOG back up your FACTS...........cutting and pasting from Oprah Daily will not get you ahead....

#446744 - 09/03/08 09:09 AM Re: Macbook Air
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow, I must have interrupted you fondling it or something, sorry for causing you to get angry.

[Rainbow]

Congratulations on your purchase, I'm sure you will find new ways to validate your purchase. Maybe next week you can stream some more audio with it.

Good to see the Caps Lock key works on it.

#446745 - 09/03/08 09:31 AM Re: Macbook Air
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
The air is ok, used one couple times but doubt I would own it unless the bang for the buck improved.

BTW top ultraportable laptops from cnet, air is near the bottom wink
http://reviews.cnet.com/4370-3121_7-214-102.html?tag=lnav

Personally for ~ half the price I prefer the HP tablet laptop hybrid I’m using:

#446746 - 09/03/08 08:26 PM Re: Macbook Air
Anonymous
Unregistered

I went with the Dell M1330. Price wasn't the issue because I need it for school. I just liked what reviews I read on it.

As far as the AIR goes. I would have a hard time trusting that form factor when it comes to heat issues. As in everything else, I let the lemmings beta test it for me before I decide to buy one. There are growing pains with every new product line and not just Apple.

#446747 - 09/03/08 10:02 PM Re: Macbook Air
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Quote:
Originally posted by Timmah:
As far as the AIR goes. I would have a hard time trusting that form factor when it comes to heat issues.
Um, you do realize it has an ultra low voltage CPU? Combined with a metal case?

Heat is NOT an issue.

For me foot print is. I decided I'm sticking with my PowerBook G4 12" for my portable needs, and will get a new desktop instead.

Unlike with most PC's, an almost six year old Mac is still a very usable machine - but I want something that can hold some more RAM when I'm working on photo's (the only problem with my 12" PB - 1.25 MB of RAM is the max [Uh Oh !] )

And Fog - it's not meant to be a primary machine. For a secondary machine, it's more then adequate. Quite nice, actually - full sized screen and keyboard. Even with the slow assed 80 gig hard drive, it's very responsive. With the SSD it's almost instantaneous - of course you pay 1/3 more for that privilege. I'm really looking forward to SSD dropping in price and the death of spinning metal in laptops...

#446748 - 10/03/08 09:44 AM Re: Macbook Air
Auditor_Kevin Offline

Loc: Dundee, IL
Holy Blazes!!!!

People are paying $2,000 for that thing??

Must be nice being Apple.

#446749 - 12/03/08 07:08 AM Re: Macbook Air
DocNo Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Auditor_Kevin:
Holy Blazes!!!!

People are paying $2,000 for that thing??
Holy crap! People pay all that money to modify their Xterra's and even crazier people pay all that money for BMW's?!?

Quote:
Must be nice being Apple.
Must be nice to be a vendor selling mods and BMW :rolleyes:

#446750 - 12/03/08 08:15 AM Re: Macbook Air
Auditor_Kevin Offline

Loc: Dundee, IL
Good point, DocNo - even if it was facetious.

I don't get it with cars/trucks either.

#446751 - 12/03/08 01:16 PM Re: Macbook Air
Claus Offline

Very good point. I have never had a problem shelling out top $$ for quality...2 weeks into ownership of this thing I am even happier with it now.

#446752 - 12/03/08 05:13 PM Re: Macbook Air
DocNo Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Auditor_Kevin:
I don't get it with cars/trucks either.
OK, surely you have something that you enjoy indulging in that someone else would think is excessive?

Double pleated toilet paper rather then generic recycled tree-bark toilet paper?

There has to be something - and I'm sure there is someone out there that thinks you are crazy for that indulgence. Same thing here.

The Air isn't a general purpose notebook. It isn't meant for everyone - and I'm OK with that! I would never want a MacBook Pro 17" either - to me it kinda defeats the purpose of a portable to have something that large, but I have friends and co-workers that have 17" notebooks and love them (not just Mac's - PC's too). I think their nuts, but their happy. That's all that matters.

I applaud Apple for pushing the envelope. Crap, there are still PC vendors shipping machines with floppies and PS/2 ports [Freak] Thank god there is at least one company out there pushing the envelope - even if you never own a Mac, your computing experience will be that much better because the whole industry gets pushed. Even if you don't think you would EVER use something as extreme as the Air, you should applaud it rather then throwing water on it - because it's inspiration will filter down into other products and make them all better.

Moderator:  Paul H 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal