Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#451620 - 30/09/05 06:43 PM 06 with Beadlocks
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am going to order an 06 this week, and was wondering if anybody knows if beadlock kits will work. I know nobody has rims for the 05's yet. How does the Pressure sensor mount in the tire? What kind of tire pressure do you run on beadlocks? I assume it is just normal, but you can lower the pressure offroading for more traction. Any help on this would be appreciated

-G

#451621 - 30/09/05 07:37 PM Re: 06 with Beadlocks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Haven't seen the sensor yet, but from what I've read, it's banded around the inside part of the rim. Have to remove the tire to see it.

The low pressure monitor doesn't activate until you are going 20 MPH. If you air down for serious off roading, you likely won't be exceeding that speed anyway. If you do, the light on the dash will illuminate, and a tone will play, for about 10 seconds (per the owners manual). It doesn't keep bugging you, and nothing more happens.

I've also read other wheels will work (same pattern), but you'll need wheel spacers to clear the brake calipers. The factory wheels have built-in spacers.

If anyone knows more details on any of this, chime in.

#451622 - 30/09/05 07:43 PM Re: 06 with Beadlocks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Awesome, So just spacers for rims. Will Discount Tire have the spacers? I think I am going to go with one of thse kits. http://rockcrawler-mrt.com/beadloc-kits.html
or
http://www.championwheel.com/offroadwheels.htm
Are these D.O.T. approved? I can not find anywhere that says they are or not.

-G

#451623 - 30/09/05 09:00 PM Re: 06 with Beadlocks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by hmpitags2006:
Are these D.O.T. approved? I can not find anywhere that says they are or not.

Beadlocks are not DOT approved, and therefore you'd either have to trailer the Xterra to the trail, or change wheels once there.

#451624 - 30/09/05 09:26 PM Re: 06 with Beadlocks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric:
Quote:
[b]Are these D.O.T. approved? I can not find anywhere that says they are or not.

Beadlocks are not DOT approved, and therefore you'd either have to trailer the Xterra to the trail, or change wheels once there.[/b]
hutchinsoninc.com, they have DOT approved bead locks 4-wheel off-road mag. page 79-81, Nov. 2003.

#451625 - 30/09/05 09:29 PM Re: 06 with Beadlocks
Anonymous
Unregistered

airbornenurse,
Thanks a lot for the link. I am getting a Night Armor OR X 4x4(of course) and 6MT. I think some black rims with grey to match the paint or gunmetal on the beadlock would look bad ass. Plus nobody
that I know has them.

Thanks,
-G

#451626 - 01/10/05 09:59 AM Re: 06 with Beadlocks
Double D Offline

Loc: Casa Grande, AZ
The pressure sensors are built into the valve. They fit inside of the wheel just below the bead seat. As long as you don't modify the wheel too much for bead locks they will probably still work and the valve still need to be in place to air up your tire.

#451627 - 02/10/05 08:40 AM Re: 06 with Beadlocks
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is ridiculous. Somebody wants to run beadlocks because they look cool?

Save your money, kid. Buy the lift kit when it comes out. Beadlocks are useless on a stock X and the offset may require you to run SMALLER tires.

Perhaps after you have a lift, sliders, bumpers, winch and lots of experience beadlocks will be something worth thinking about.

#451628 - 02/10/05 11:25 AM Re: 06 with Beadlocks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Jeff -> [Finger] I was not wanting them cause they look cool, even though they are. I was wanting them due to their off road performance. I was going to do this after the sliders->Lift(body and suspension)-> rims & tires -> bumpers & winch

-G

#451629 - 02/10/05 01:08 PM Re: 06 with Beadlocks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Hey Jeff -> [Finger] I was not wanting them cause they look cool, even though they are. I was wanting them due to their off road performance. I was going to do this after the sliders->Lift(body and suspension)-> rims & tires -> bumpers & winch

-G
please. if you're planning on running 2 or 3 psi in the tires (hence the reason you'd run beadlocks), then you're gonna' need to do a lot more than the mods listed, in order to get any use out of that low a tire pressure. You can EASILY run 10 psi on a good set of offroad tires, without beadlocks, if you so choose.

In most cases, 12-15psi is the lowest you really need to go. And I assure you, that will be PLENTY of grip, for an IFS rig. Until you go solid, and much larger tires, you're fooling yourself by thinking you need beadlocks.

Moderator:  defibvt, fastdrmr, socalpunx 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal