Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#451349 - 25/02/06 10:52 PM Finaly, time to start modding
Anonymous
Unregistered

I got my OR X last summer and have been doing a lot of research, mostly here, as well as saving up. I finally went on my shopping spree today and have a lift kit, Shrockworks bumper and sliders coming. Until now the only thing I have done to my truck is a domelight sunglass holder install and a new radio. I am sure a lot of you can understand how I am anxious to start taking apart some major systems. I can't imagine I will have anything new to share about installing this stuff but I will post pictures when I can, even though the stock rubber is going to look rediculous. Anyone have a good suggestion for all around tire, regardless it has to look meaty. smile smile

#451350 - 26/02/06 12:26 AM Re: Finaly, time to start modding
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have the Bridgestone Dueler Revos (All-Terrain) and they have been great so far. Also check out the BFG AT KO's. As far as keeping the stock size on the truck with a lift, check out my pics in the "Daystar Lift pics" in the Pictures forum. Those are the stock OR size tires and I think they look fine. The next size up would be the equivalent of 33 inch tires, which would only be about an inch wider in diameter. Any bigger, and you would need to start trimming your fenders and/or get a body lift.

#451351 - 26/02/06 03:29 AM Re: Finaly, time to start modding
Anonymous
Unregistered

Congrats on getting everything ordered. Now don't forget to put up pics afterwards. What lift kit did you go with?

#451352 - 26/02/06 01:30 PM Re: Finaly, time to start modding
Anonymous
Unregistered

Smokey
I am definatly going with the 33s. I think they look awesome and I have no problem with a little rubbing. I have heard a lot of people going with the BFGs but when I lok at the pictures online of them they don't look like they have any meat on the sides. The tire definately has to look good as well as have good off road grip.

Dan
I went with the AC lift with shackles in the rear. I would have gone with the AAL but I do too much highway traveling to have a vibration going on. I would have like the extra stiffness but I will also like the extra articulation.

#451353 - 26/02/06 04:37 PM Re: Finaly, time to start modding
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wurleybird try these.
tires
They ship fast and their prices are good. I have no complaints about them. They have 20/32 tread depth and are pretty quite.

#451354 - 07/03/06 05:10 AM Re: Finaly, time to start modding
Anonymous
Unregistered

The first parts to arive were the Gigson exhaust and the AC lift. Let me know if this sounds familiar to anyone;

I get home at sunset so I decide not to work on the truck, I will just open the pieces to look them over.

"Wierd, I didn't think my exhaust was exactly that shape. I will go under to check it out."

Pushing pieces under the vehicle and getting on my back.

"look at that this won't be to hard of a job at all, only a half dozen bolts. I will go ahead and put the truck on stands so I can do this when I get home tomorrow."

Two hours later

"I am just going to drive around the block to see how this sounds under acceleration."

I will let you know what I think of the exhaust once I get a few miles on it. [ThumbsUp]

#451355 - 07/03/06 05:27 AM Re: Finaly, time to start modding
Anonymous
Unregistered

Awesome let us know how it sounds, and post a clip if possible!

#451356 - 07/03/06 05:45 AM Re: Finaly, time to start modding
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by WurlyBurd:
...Let me know if this sounds familiar to anyone...
...I will go under to check it out...
...Two hours later...
Typical - Why wait when new toys are sitting in a box!

Congrats & Keep us posted with your mods

Regards [ThumbsUp]

#451357 - 08/03/06 04:34 PM Re: Finaly, time to start modding
Anonymous
Unregistered

He he he. I am inside right now in between coats of Hurculiner. Big props to MuzikMan for trying that one out. I could not find people who wanted to "try" Hurculining their vehicles with me so I ended up with way too much, what a shame. But I ended up pulling off the bumper steps as well as the rear bumber top with the X pattern in it and covering those as well. I will post pictures just as soon as I have time to read up on how to do it, not to mention getting around to taking them. Last night I put the AC shackles on the rear, that looks great (finished at 10:15). Anyone know why the left side is sitting a little lower then the right though? Haven't had time to trouble shoot it. I will be at the garage all day Saturday to put on the front lift and finish everything up. I should have pictures and descriptions of everything then. I only wish I would have spaced these projects out a little more to enjoy each one. Oh, well.

#451358 - 08/03/06 06:38 PM Re: Finaly, time to start modding
Anonymous
Unregistered

Let's see if this works. Here is one after the first coat and the masking on, after I lifted the rear;

These two show the lines and you can see the rake from the rear being lifted;

And of course, just because;

#451359 - 08/03/06 09:09 PM Re: Finaly, time to start modding
Anonymous
Unregistered

[ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp]

Regards

#451360 - 13/03/06 04:35 PM Re: Finaly, time to start modding
Anonymous
Unregistered

So the exhaust is on, the suspension lift is complete, the Hurculining is done along with the pinstriping (thanks again for coming up with that Muzicman), and the tires will be here Friday. I will take more pictures after the tires are on, Xterrains. Here is what I think so far;

Gibson cat-back exhaust from AC: this exhaust is awesome. It really brings out the growl in the X without being obnoxious. You can actually hear the idle and if you hit the gas a little bit the people around you will know without being startled. It sounds best between 2-4k so it goes great with offroading. I can not say I feel a real difference in power even though I am sure there is (a 10 horse increase is only 3-4% after all)

AC SL with rear shackles and RS9000s: I am very happy with this lift so far. If you are unhappy with the mushy feel of the stock suspension this is the fix. I have not fooled with the struts yet, I just set them at firmness setting 5 of 9 and will play around later. At this setting the rear end has not bottomed out yet while going over large bumps suddenly. The springs up front are also MUCH firmer then stock and make the vehicle a little more responsive. I will say that if you are not used to stiffer suspensions this may take some getting used to, I personally like it. I went off roading a little bit yesterday and it felt great, it gives when it needs to and reamins pretty rigid otherwise.

Herculining: c'mon, it just looks cool as hell. It was relatively easy to apply and negates the need for those ugly mud flaps. Definately try to get a friend or two to split a can, I only used a little more then a quart to do the sides and all steps on the rear bumper.

#451361 - 13/03/06 05:12 PM Re: Finaly, time to start modding
Anonymous
Unregistered

BFG AT are great tires. not only do they look beastly, they provide excellent traction both on and offroad. its like night and day on the trail

#451362 - 17/03/06 09:55 PM Re: Finaly, time to start modding
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah, I don't think BFGs look beastly. When I talk about a meaty tire I am talking about something like an Xterrain. Mine came in today and they go on tomorrow, pictures will follow. Shrockworks bumper and sliders come in a week and a half.

Moderator:  defibvt, fastdrmr, socalpunx 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal