2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#474058 - 01/11/06 12:38 AM 8 ply tires and pressure monitor
Anonymous
Unregistered

I couldn't find anything about this specific question using the search button but apologize if this has already been covered somewhere. Point me in the right direction.

Time for new tires on my '05 XTerra OR. Have had terrible luck with getting flats on my factory tires and want something that will stand up to backroad and some off road driving better as well as being a solid winter tire. Considering putting on a set of BF Goodrich All-Terrain TA's. No change from stock size or anything, just some better all terrain tires that are still highway friendly.

Local tire dealer informs me that 8-ply tires may mess up my tire pressure warning monitor. Not that I really care that much but that little light does tend to get on my nerves. Anyone had experience with this? My Nissan dealer confirmed the possibility that higher pressures ran in 8-plys may cause a problem. Any other problems I can expect from this tire selection?

Thanks for your advice.

#474059 - 01/11/06 01:01 AM Re: 8 ply tires and pressure monitor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just don't run higher pressure.

I have 8 ply BFG MT's and have had no problem. I run 37lbs hot 35lbs cold and have had no problems.

#474060 - 01/11/06 04:21 AM Re: 8 ply tires and pressure monitor
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Your local tire guy is an idiot.

laugh

(If you're related to him, sorry, hope its by marriage, etc....)

Seriously, the psi don't know if you have a toroidal air tank or a balloon....psi are psi.

He sounds like the kind of tire guy who will also tell you that a different tire size will disable your ABS, and other well meant but incorrect old saws.

Ignore him, or find a new guy.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#474061 - 01/11/06 07:56 AM Re: 8 ply tires and pressure monitor
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just bought the new Mickey Thompsons MTZ...real quiet on the road....8 ply also

#474062 - 01/11/06 08:56 AM Re: 8 ply tires and pressure monitor
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was thinking that, for instance, 10 ply load range E tires inflate to 80 psi and a high psi might hurt the monitors, but an 8 play is what?...44-50 psi? I never run the maximum when I have high-ply tires on a lightweight car anyhow.

eventually, people will take the lights out of the dash or some such or maybe even dummy the signal to the ecm telling it that the air pressure sig is good.

#474063 - 01/11/06 05:48 PM Re: 8 ply tires and pressure monitor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Agree with TJ, the guy at the tire shop is an idiot. Just get the 8-ply tires and run them at your usual PSI.

What kind of puncture are you getting? What type of driving you do?

#474064 - 01/11/06 06:32 PM Re: 8 ply tires and pressure monitor
Anonymous
Unregistered

I set my Mickey t's at 30psi and the tire sensor light is off...when I first got the tires the tire shop only filled them to 26psi, but at this amount they where real noisy..so I topped them up.

#474065 - 01/11/06 07:22 PM Re: 8 ply tires and pressure monitor
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have the BFG AT K/Os, 44psi, no problems.

#474066 - 01/11/06 07:37 PM Re: 8 ply tires and pressure monitor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the replies. Decision made. 8-ply's it is.

Four flats over the past 1-1/2 years. Never had a similar problem before so it can't ALL be due to my driving. Most of my off highway driving is up and down logging roads - to paraglider launches - with the occasional spot requiring 4 low, but mostly driving fairly fast over gravel or decommisioned logging roads with water bars dug in them.

I think the occasional stone just manages to punch a hole and break cords in the tire. End of tire. Guess I could just slow down. Could also just never leave the highway.

By the way... unless you live in some high crime neighbourhood, take those stupid locking lugnuts off your wheels. It might save you getting stranded overnight when both the lugnut and key shatter while trying to break a lugnut free. Maybe everyone already is aware of this, but I had to find out the hard way.

#474067 - 01/11/06 08:40 PM Re: 8 ply tires and pressure monitor
Anonymous
Unregistered

[Wave] Good day Eh [Wave] If your in the lower rain land there is a place on river road called national tire wholesale. I recently purchased 5 Yokohama Geolander M/T with stock profile for the same reasons. drop me a line well talk [drink]

#474068 - 01/11/06 08:47 PM Re: 8 ply tires and pressure monitor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey it just occured to me that you probably live in Prince George but I do have some friends at the south terminal if you need some thing to arrive there.

#474069 - 02/11/06 06:55 PM Re: 8 ply tires and pressure monitor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Actually, I am located in the Okanagan. Took me a while to figure out why you might have though Prince George then it dawned on me. Sorry to mislead you, but PG Pilot is Paragliger Pilot not pilot living in Prince George. Laughed a bit when I figured it out!

Cheers

PS: Snowed today in Vernon. Saw two SUV's in the ditch on their sides on the way home from work. Winter's here! Let the games begin!

#474070 - 02/11/06 09:00 PM Re: 8 ply tires and pressure monitor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here's a weird thing... I just found out that a good friend who lives in O.K. landing just started a new job working for Kal tire at the Kelowna airport.

Moderator:  defibvt, fastdrmr, socalpunx 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal