Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 90 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#468239 - 13/11/06 01:35 PM Long tubes
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think the 05+ models will be hot as far as aftermarket support. It has a great foundation but it appears that the shorty headers just aren't worth the hp/dollar ratio.

Who wants to pay 500 for 7-10 rear wheel hp?

Does anyone have any insides to JBA or other header manufacture that would suggest long tubes with a catted X-pipe?

Of course they would be strictly for off road use, but statistically speaking, on average long tubes pick up 20+ rear wheel hp and some real torque in the grunt range.

#468240 - 13/11/06 03:07 PM Re: Long tubes
Anonymous
Unregistered

the nissan oem headers looked pretty well made so I don't see a lot of extra power gains below or at torque peak either.

the one thing I would be hesitant on (besides aftermarket header quality with cracks/leaks) would be the lack of engineered thickness and lengths that don't resonate at cruise rpms etc which makes the cracking and noise worse. Don't think that the original stuff is complete crap as there has been tuning to make them quiet and hopefully long lasting.

seems the 4 liter toyotas are picking up a lot of power from headers, but I guess the stock ones are pretty bad. At least nissan is good the way it is. I bet they could support 300 hp with a better muffler.

long tubes shouldn't make for more power unless they help out another deficiency, like allow a bigger primary pipe diameter by increasing torque so the car doesn't feel bogged at low revs, yet would have the higher rpm gains from an increase in primary diameter. long primaries help mid range, but the diameters and lengths all work together acoustically and flow wise to scavenge at certain power ranges.

I could care less about adding a headache...headers are the worst thing about hotrodding.

If I could do one thing, it would be to add a turbo/supercharger from a 350 z kit and changing it to work well with a 4 liter.

#468241 - 13/11/06 05:27 PM Re: Long tubes
Anonymous
Unregistered

Most aftermarket headers do present headaches.

BBK for example easily supports 500 dyno proven hp on my mustang even at 1_5/8, but the ceramic coating is flaking even though the car sits in the garage. Not good for a DD.

I can vouch that when I went from EQ shorties to Long tubes it was night and day difference, even when I was naturally aspirated; currently under pressure.

Speaking of excellent designs, Ford Mustang utilizes a great stock exhaust manifold, thus preventing any major gains out of 1_5/8" short tubes of either EQ or un-EQ length. When you step up to the long tubes that is when you see 25+ rwhp and a stronger, broader torque curve.

Turbo is a great idea if you wanted to build a street racer or a mud dragster, but 3 hours of crawling up some trails; well that's not a situation I want to put a turbo through, even it it was utilizing the best ball/roller bearings and ceramic coating and the best man made synthetic. I believe that roots/screw charger would be best for that right-now torque in the slow trails.

I know that JBA made long tubes for Ranger/Exploder v6 apps, just curious if they would be up the challenge on the second gen X and how fellow enthusiast felt.

I believe that most who do buy an X definitely want to do the modification once and see some real gains along with factory durability.

#468242 - 13/11/06 06:34 PM Re: Long tubes
Anonymous
Unregistered

I remember when long tubes cost less than $200 (my 1970 Chevelle, 1986 Mustang GT, 260Z, etc etc...). Until headers for the x cost less than $500 freakin dollars, I say screw 'em.

#468243 - 13/11/06 06:57 PM Re: Long tubes
Anonymous
Unregistered

I remember when hooker headers for my camaro were $250 and that was a small fortune. they were equal length and pretty decent, but didn't have the coating they have today. I never ran that with short headers...I guess the length really helps with the scavenging even at peak. most race cars have collectors near the transmission, so yeah, I'm sure nissan could get 15-20 hp more with a tune and the exhuast.

The only reason my 4 liter jeep wrangler has a doug-thorley header is because of issues with the crack prone stocker and a banks stainless replacement that didn't hold up. this one is ceramic coated inside and out...we'll see how it goes...so far so good. That is a low tech high port/ big valve 200 hp engine and the collector tri-Y vs a shorter collector/fat outlet arrangement does tune the power a little. banks had a couple of hp on top, but the DT tri-y hits hard at 3000 rpms right around peak TQ. both have better than stock power, but a relatively heavy modded jeep likes the lower power band better (like maybe 150 rpms sooner).

To me,my Xterra is a station wagon that can 4x4 a little if I need it too. I would not take it on a trail that requires lift on a wrangler unlimited or that could give an open jeep wrangler a hard time. That's why I would love a turbo just so I could have a 350 hp VQ40 people mover.

besides, I just saw an FJcruiser lifted with 285's or 295's and feel outclassed. The X is now a rugged sation wagon with not enough suspension travel to hang with the competition. when jeep puts the diesel or a 250 hp motor in the jk wrangler, I'll think about jumping ship. But like I was thinking. A 300-350 hp VQ40 would be a fun truck.

#468244 - 14/11/06 06:23 AM Re: Long tubes
Anonymous
Unregistered

You guys didn't buy some quality Flotech headers LOL..

On another note, I am surprised to hear that the Banks SS header did not hold up on your Jeep.

I also have the same feelings about the X being a people hauler. My wife will be the primary driver and she already drive the thing like a sports car. I ran a 68,69 and 73 Bronco for the extreme stuff (351w-300 honest horse in a 3400lb rig cooks), but the only mud the X will probably see is construction clay caked on the road.

Perhaps the market demand isn't great enough to warrant a quality set of long-tubes. frown

Moderator:  defibvt, fastdrmr, socalpunx 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal