Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#456402 - 05/04/05 08:45 PM New toys for my new '05
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good evening,

I just returned from the stealership and in my possession I have a '05 4x4 OR. It's my first SUV. I know to do any serious type of offroading, whichg I would like to do at some point of time, I need some MODS. As soon as they're available I'm getting the shrockwerks sliders, new tires, and eventually a new frontbumper/winch combo. Here is my question which I can't seem to find an answer to in the forums: what GPS unit should I get? WHat handles topo's the best, but can still double for use during the daily drives?

Thanks for all the great info on this forum and look forward to contributing in the future.

-marc

#456403 - 09/04/05 01:38 AM Re: New toys for my new '05
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am very happy with the Garmin GPSMAP 60CS, which has a great color screen, awesome battery life, and can accomdate both road maps with routing and auto-re-rerouting as well as the topo maps. I have not used any topo maps yet, but it is comptabile. This unit also has 56 MB, which is on the large side for GPS memory - meaning you can load both some topo maps and regular road maps.

I think this is a great unit for hiking, biking, and driving. It is also waterproof and very tough - I have dropped it while bicycling over 30 mph twice and it is barely nicked and still functioning.

#456404 - 09/04/05 06:26 AM Re: New toys for my new '05
Lincoln Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
The GPSMAP 60CS is a good unit, very versitale.

They have a handlebar mount for it, I am going to get one and use it on my Harley.

#456405 - 11/04/05 08:13 AM Re: New toys for my new '05
Anonymous
Unregistered

Keep in mind that GPS units with topo maps only come with 100k maps, not the 24K that is the USGS standard.

I use a laptop with Maptech Terrain Navigator mapping software and an earthlink gps receiver.

Moderator:  defibvt, fastdrmr, socalpunx 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal