2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#462781 - 18/08/05 08:09 AM Removing the top roof rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

Has anyone removed their top roof rack yet?

I want to wash and wax it. I am sure the dealer didn't get underneath it when they detailed it upon delivery. I just want to take it down, wash it and put it back.

#462782 - 18/08/05 10:05 AM Re: Removing the top roof rack
Steve49589 Offline

Loc: Windsor Locks, CT USA
Although you can remove the rack, I would not do it. You'd have to worry about getting the screws back in properly, plus every time you remove and then reinstall the hold-down power would get weaker and weaker.

I think this would take a long time to do right.

Just remove the basket, get up there and scrub around the rack...

#462783 - 18/08/05 11:37 AM Re: Removing the top roof rack
Claus Offline

You can remove the rack no problems. First remove the basket, youwill find the 4 screws inside the lid. The remove the shield (4 Screws). Then you remove the crossmembers adn you should be set to remove the 2 main bars. If I were you I would keep the screws in the roof mount holes while you spray water to ensure you do not get any dirt/water etc inside....Weakning the rack is hogwash...

#462784 - 18/08/05 11:44 AM Re: Removing the top roof rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't think you would have to remove the entire rack, but removing the basket would be a good idea. I was shocked at how much dirt sits up under there. I have been thinking of removing the basket and only putting it back when needed. I currently can't think of anthing to keep in there on a ragular basis.

#462785 - 18/08/05 08:17 PM Re: Removing the top roof rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm about to take the rack off to wire my hellas. I'm going to go through the rack and under the front foot into the truck for a clean look with no wires going through the door jam.
I did it with my 02 when I first got it. I have the lights up top already.
Mounted them to the basket lid so I could still put my snowboards on the roof without hitting the lights.

#462786 - 19/08/05 02:11 PM Re: Removing the top roof rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

xterravt when you get done with the lights can you post some pics i would really like to see your work. i am putting a LED light bar (fire dept) on the roof rack. how big is the hole under the front foot because i have to run nine wires.

#462787 - 19/08/05 06:33 PM Re: Removing the top roof rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve49589:
Although you can remove the rack, I would not do it. You'd have to worry about getting the screws back in properly, plus every time you remove and [b]then reinstall the hold-down power would get weaker and weaker .

I think this would take a long time to do right.

Just remove the basket, get up there and scrub around the rack...[/b]
Uh, how is that? Do you have experience with the roof rack weakening? If that was the case, don't rotate your tires, the lugs or rims will weaken.

:p

#462788 - 20/08/05 09:18 PM Re: Removing the top roof rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

In the defense of Steve, who might or might not know what the hell hes talking about:

nissan uses plastic screw clips on their INTERIOR fixtures that snap on around plastic.

However...BACKOFF, Jesus the guy gave his opinion.

Take it or leave it, but dont nit pick.

BTW-WTH are u talking about Steve???

-grins-

#462789 - 22/08/05 12:23 PM Re: Removing the top roof rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

Rimedic

I will have to drill a hole in the roof under the foot for my wires.
I'll be able to post some pics when I get back to VT but I hope you can wait a bit for them Because I don't get back till Sept 20.

later

#462790 - 23/08/05 08:33 PM Re: Removing the top roof rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

hey thanks man i am looking forward to see them

Moderator:  defibvt, fastdrmr, socalpunx 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal