Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#452584 - 17/10/05 04:18 AM rattle, going to drive me nuts.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have an intermittent rattle coming from the rear inside. If I drive down a moderately rough road, I get this fast rattling noise. Nope, not a diamondback. I get out, open the back, check for loose items, close the hatch and its ok for a while then starts again.

I had my wife drive it and I sit in the back. It appears to be the lower plastic cover on the hatch. It has a really bad fit. I can stick my fingers between the window and the top of the cover. If I push on it, the rattle goes away for awhile until I hit the next railroad track or pothole.

Anybody else have this problem with their 05?

#452585 - 17/10/05 05:50 AM Re: rattle, going to drive me nuts.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not that one, but I've got a ticking sound in the dash sometimes, and other times a popping sound (almost like rain) in the space between the interior ceiling and the roof itself (don't think it's under the basket on the outside)..

On yours, your talking about the lift gate right? In the area where the 00-04 3rd break light was mounted?

#452586 - 17/10/05 06:03 AM Re: rattle, going to drive me nuts.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have the rattle in the rear also...it drives me nuts!

#452587 - 17/10/05 06:52 AM Re: rattle, going to drive me nuts.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a rattle in the rear too (that doesn't sound right, me saying that). Anyway, I can't figure out what it is . ..sometimes I think it is the rear door and then the rear hatch or the rear "hidden" compartment. It seems to come from the left (passenger) side though. . .

#452588 - 17/10/05 08:10 AM Re: rattle, going to drive me nuts.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have not searched it yet, but I remember someone posting about this. If I remember right, it had something to do with part of the back seat.

#452589 - 17/10/05 08:22 AM Re: rattle, going to drive me nuts.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have only had one rattle in the rear, and it was more of a "squeak" sound. Turned out that since I had put the emergency road kit in the spot for the first aid kit, the weight of it when the hatch was closed was pulling the plastic hatch cover off its clips.

So check to make sure your hatch cover hasn't come off around a few of the clips. I lightly punched it and pushed hard on it and the clips popped back in place, and the rattle was gone.

Now I no longer place the road kit in the first aid kit spot...it seems that placing weight there will cause the hatch cover to pry off.

#452590 - 17/10/05 08:37 AM Re: rattle, going to drive me nuts.
Anonymous
Unregistered

No rattles in the rear but I do have one coming from the front of the dash. It sounds like it is coming from outside but it's not. It only happens when I am at idle or if I am in 5th gear around 1000 to 1500 rpms. I don't know what's causing it. I might go to the dealer today and see if they can check it out for me. Anyone else have this one? It sounds more like a vibration then anything.

#452591 - 17/10/05 10:42 AM Re: rattle, going to drive me nuts.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by maximaXterra:
Not that one, but I've got a ticking sound in the dash sometimes, and other times a popping sound (almost like rain) in the space between the interior ceiling and the roof itself (don't think it's under the basket on the outside)..

On yours, your talking about the lift gate right? In the area where the 00-04 3rd break light was mounted?
Yep, the back hatch. It is definitely the plastic cover on the lower half inside (where you tie down the First Aid Kit). It is definitely a fastener is loose. I had my wife drive while I looked for it. If I put my hand on it and gently push at the top edge just below the window. The rattle will stop for a while. I stripped everything else out of the back.

I just got back from the dealer. They want me to leave it all day with them. Even though I know exactly what it is. I'll fix it myself.

#452592 - 17/10/05 11:39 AM Re: rattle, going to drive me nuts.
Anonymous
Unregistered

In mine, it is definitely the lower plastic cover of the hatch door. My sound was more of a squeak, which I found to be a slightly loose plastic clip. I could not entirely remove the cover, but I popped out the fasteners from each corner, the cover stays in place and the squeak goes away. It is VERY annoying, but since I've done this, no more noise. I think there are too many fasteners in the cover, which doesn't really fit well anyway, and a few loosen themselves a bit after driving, and the rubbing produces the noise. Hope this helps someone. On a side note, I also notice that when my front passenger seat is empty, over bumps the seat is noisy and shake a bit.

Moderator:  defibvt, fastdrmr, socalpunx 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal