Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#471098 - 30/10/05 11:04 PM Manual vs. Auto
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have driven nothing but sticks since the day I started driving. 3 Mazdas. 10 years. 2 626's and my current 97 Miata.

I'm considering the purchase of the X but for some reason my "gotta have a manual" mentality is quite subdued on this one. I have driven both and while manuals are generally more fun, I find that this being a truck manual it is kinda clunky, slow, and the shift lever seems to be a little too far away from the driver. I get the feeling that I like the control, but the fun of shifting is pretty much gone. Not to mention for some reason manual trannys in trucks I never seem to be able to get to operate smoothly. Always seem jerker and clunkier. Full size rams, old Rodeos, etc.

The auto seem you get a nice start, smooth shifts, and since the manual doesn't seem that sporty I don't feel I'm losing too much.

Add to this that I want either OR or SE (Sirius and upgrade stereo are on my list). I don't need the hardcore OR components (though I like the looks), but was thinking OR cause I can't get a manual on the SE. Now that I'm thinking auto, I'm wondering which route to go.

Just looking for some advice here. Will I miss not driving the manual? Will I get smoother at driving it? What are the downsides to the automatic besides the fun to drive factor (that I'm not so sure exists in a truck)? I'm kinda stuck, especially since it seems lots are full of autos OR manuals can hardly be found. Can you get a more hand-friendly shift knob? The stock one is way to large.

#471099 - 30/10/05 11:14 PM Re: Manual vs. Auto
Anonymous
Unregistered

My last X was a stick and it was great. I only hated it in wonderful stop and go kind of traffic. My new X is an auto. Not having to shift is really nice. I love it when I go wheeling. I haven't done that much hard core stuff like rocks or anything like that so I'm not to sure how the auto will do. I can always shift into first if I need that.

I wanted to get the OR in a stick because the price is lower then with the auto but they only had them in 2wd so I just got the S edition instead in auto. I mainly wanted to have 4wd since the other truck was 2wd granted the rear locker would be nice but I'm still happy with what I got. laugh

#471100 - 31/10/05 05:42 AM Re: Manual vs. Auto
Anonymous
Unregistered

Downsides to Auto that ultimately made me go with another Manual trans

Costs more upfront
Costs more to Service
Less feeling control

Of course even with the Auto you can manually select all 5 gears, but I doubt many people do that.

I love my manual trans, the only maintenance it needs I can easily do myself i.e. Changing the lube every 60k miles. It cost $1000 less than an auto, which was quite a big deal for me, as it meant I could then afford the $900 Rockford Fossgate upgrade and it shifts when I want it to shift! smile

PLus coming from the UK where 90% of cars sold (If not more) are Manual trans, I've driven a manual trans all my life. Autos are just for lazy Americans! smile

#471101 - 31/10/05 06:40 AM Re: Manual vs. Auto
Anonymous
Unregistered

After driving a 5-speed Dakota for 10 years, I switched to an Auto this time, largely because the sticks were so hard to find. It's OK, but I really do miss my manual.

One other advantage of a manual is that when you put it in the top gear, it stays there. When you hit a little incline it doesn't pop out of OD, and you can control the shift points, so your mileage is better.

But the ultimate advantage (for me) to the manual tranny?? The wife can't drive one, nor can the kid. laugh MY truck. Mine.

#471102 - 31/10/05 06:43 AM Re: Manual vs. Auto
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by RiNkY:
Downsides to Auto that ultimately made me go with another Manual trans

Costs more upfront
Costs more to Service
Less feeling control

I love my manual trans, the only maintenance it needs I can easily do myself i.e. Changing the lube every 60k miles. It cost $1000 less than an auto, which was quite a big deal for me, as it meant I could then afford the $900 Rockford Fossgate upgrade and it shifts when I want it to shift! smile

PLus coming from the UK where 90% of cars sold (If not more) are Manual trans, I've driven a manual trans all my life. Autos are just for lazy Americans! smile
I will play the Devils advocate, and argue the opposite.(this is assuming you wheel) Coming from someone who started wheeling with 5 speeds. 5 speeds are MUCH, MUCH more expensive. It means clutch changes every 10-50K, and an eventual $$ upgrade. 5 speeds need rebuilding much more often, atleast 2-3 to one! Ouch. With an auto you get a dip stick and cooling system, and temp sensor. And, possibly worse of all, the shock loads of a manual mean MUCH more breakage, and drivetrane wear. In the end you pay ALOT more for a 5spd if you wheel, and loose all the off-road benefits to boot.

If the Xterra sees the Titan auto some day, its completely manualy shiftable and looks like a stick, with quick response and no interlock. I love it!

#471103 - 31/10/05 07:08 AM Re: Manual vs. Auto
Anonymous
Unregistered

On an underpowered vehicle, a manual tranny is a big plus. But this big engine is anything but underpowered.

Also, years ago, the auto trannys were rather inefficient. The same can't be said for the new ones, at least most of them.

Because this engine has plenty of power, it doesn't jump out of OD when hitting a slight hill, as Wizard was worried about.

For towing or off-roading, an A/T is better. The A/T has torque multiplication from the torque converter (lots of online articles, look it up). A manual tranny is 1:1, and doesn't have the added benefit of the extra torque (typically 1.7 to 2.5 times the torque being applied). Bottom line, from a dead start, the A/T applies more torque to the axle. The A/T also provides more controllable power when off-roading.

Yep, a A/T costs more initially, but if you check, you'll find the trade-in value is higher for an A/T too, so I consider that a wash. Same goes for buying a 4WD vs a 2WD. Higher initial cost, but you get a good bit of it back at trade-in.

The OR model didn't have enough goodies over the SE for me. The SE doesn't have a locking rear diff, but the ABLS will work fine for me. If you're planning on going rock crawling, then by all means, get the locker. Neither the SE or the OR have tires I'd choose for serious off-roading.

FWIW, I enjoy driving stick shift vehicles. But on a vehicle this size, and this nice, there's not really any reason not to get an A/T... IMHO. No knock against those who want it.

#471104 - 31/10/05 07:13 AM Re: Manual vs. Auto
Anonymous
Unregistered

For trucks I prefer auto's.
I had a 1990 Miata and an 88 integra, both sticks, and wouldn't have had them any other way.

However, the X is not a sports car and I don't have urge to drive it the same way I did the Miata or Integra (on the aggressive side, that is).

I haven't missed the manual at all when driving the truck. In fact, having my right had freed up is kind of a plus. I expect lots of crude comments based on that last statement.

I also think that part of not missing the manual is that I owned them for many years, so the "thrill" is not there the way it use to be.

#471105 - 31/10/05 05:21 PM Re: Manual vs. Auto
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
I love my 5 speed, and have yet to have owned a vehicle with an automatic transmission. The manual on the X is just as smooth as my Miata or 240sx was and I do enjoy it - even in traffic. Doesn't bother me at all. Maybe because I'm a control freak smile

However, if I was getting an '05 or '06, I would probably get an auto. The engine is much better that the previous models, and the 5 speed auto is really smooth. I've test driven two auto '05s and really liked them. So, if I ever replace my '02, I probably will do so with an auto.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying the heck out of my current 5 speed. 5 speed and a supercharger is a great combo wink

#471106 - 31/10/05 10:10 PM Re: Manual vs. Auto
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by 05_X:
For trucks I prefer auto's.
I had a 1990 Miata and an 88 integra, both sticks, and wouldn't have had them any other way.

However, the X is not a sports car and I don't have urge to drive it the same way I did the Miata or Integra (on the aggressive side, that is).

I haven't missed the manual at all when driving the truck. In fact, having my right had freed up is kind of a plus. I expect lots of crude comments based on that last statement.

I also think that part of not missing the manual is that I owned them for many years, so the "thrill" is not there the way it use to be.
I have to agree totally with this post.

I sold a 2003 Subaru WRX to get the X, and I knew that the manual in the X just wouldn't the same as it is in the sporty cars. This is my first auto, and it felt good to make the switch. The X has so much low end torque that I didn't feel the need to be in total control of the gears--it has power everywhere. I really enjoy the auto in traffic, and am looking forward to having the auto for off-road driving ease. It's a 5-speed auto based on the 350Z tranny, so how can you go wrong?

#471107 - 31/10/05 10:28 PM Re: Manual vs. Auto
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
Having owned both, I recommend a manual. My 2002 5-speed is more fun to drive than my 2000 AT was, hands down. Plus, the '05 has the new 6-speed manual. I'd go for that personally.

#471108 - 31/10/05 10:46 PM Re: Manual vs. Auto
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree with both sides. Both have there +'s and -'s to both. IF you have always driven a stick, I think you would miss it, especially since the 05-06's are a 6 speed.
IMO..driving a stick gives you a little more control, more options, a little more fun, and after an hour in stop and go traffic, you won't need to go to the gym! laugh

#471109 - 01/11/05 09:04 AM Re: Manual vs. Auto
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerome81:
I have driven nothing but sticks since the day I started driving. 3 Mazdas. 10 years. 2 626's and my current 97 Miata.

I'm considering the purchase of the X but for some reason my "gotta have a manual" mentality is quite subdued on this one. I have driven both and while manuals are generally more fun, I find that this being a truck manual it is kinda clunky, slow, and the shift lever seems to be a little too far away from the driver. I get the feeling that I like the control, but the fun of shifting is pretty much gone. Not to mention for some reason manual trannys in trucks I never seem to be able to get to operate smoothly. Always seem jerker and clunkier. Full size rams, old Rodeos, etc.

The auto seem you get a nice start, smooth shifts, and since the manual doesn't seem that sporty I don't feel I'm losing too much.

Add to this that I want either OR or SE (Sirius and upgrade stereo are on my list). I don't need the hardcore OR components (though I like the looks), but was thinking OR cause I can't get a manual on the SE. Now that I'm thinking auto, I'm wondering which route to go.

Just looking for some advice here. Will I miss not driving the manual? Will I get smoother at driving it? What are the downsides to the automatic besides the fun to drive factor (that I'm not so sure exists in a truck)? I'm kinda stuck, especially since it seems lots are full of autos OR manuals can hardly be found. Can you get a more hand-friendly shift knob? The stock one is way to large.
I'd say go for the auto if you mainly drive in moderate to heavy traffic. Get the Manual if you drive mostly on open roads with little to no traffic. Besides that, you should test-drive both and see for yourself and also consider the needs of anyone else who will be driving your vehicle.

I agree driving stick is more fun but finding myself dealing with NYC's traffic everyday, I prefer the auto.

Good luck.

#471110 - 01/11/05 09:39 AM Re: Manual vs. Auto
Anonymous
Unregistered

I test drove both. I like driving either. They are both from the 350z platform. If you are worried the auto is laggy don't be, it's fantastic.

Auto's have better resale, but sticks are a tad bit more fun.

#471111 - 01/11/05 01:10 PM Re: Manual vs. Auto
Anonymous
Unregistered

I absolutely love my 6SPD OR!!! Talk about torque! I haven't had this much fun driving since my '68 Camaro 4spd in high school. Good thing too cause I commute over 2 hours each way to NYC everyday.

And in 6th gear I'm doing under 2500 rpm at 75mph! (Does the auto tranny crank similarly low?) I had an '00 X with an auto which pales by comparison, but with the new engine it's not apples to apples.

Anyway, IMHO, it definitely shifts more like a sports car than your typical truck. Try one, only you can decide.

#471112 - 01/11/05 01:53 PM Re: Manual vs. Auto
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have the pleasure of owning a 2005 OR 6MT. It is a complete JOY to drive eveywhere. If I need to punch it, this trucks lurches back and just BOOKS! But, if I want a nice smooth take off, it is just as simple. As this is the first manual I have owned, it is taking a little to get totally used to, but it is performing wonderfully. I have NOT DOUBT that I will smoke this factory clutch sooner than most people, but now that I have learned the best way to drive my X, this should be about the only time (God I hope!) :-) On the other hand, the auto I am 100% sure has it's advantages. The manual in a truck will be very very different from the small cars that you have owned. The clutch will be a lot different. I have gotten to drive every manual transmission vehicle Nissan has produced for 2005. The Z is extremely touchy on the clutch. The Maxima and the Altima are as well. Sentra is rather close to the Frontier and the Xterra in the fact that they are not as sensitive. The Murano, Pathfinder, and Titan are only available in auto, so they don't count, but I have driven every one of those as well.

Bottom Line . . . if you have always been a MANUAL buyer, get a manual! You will not be disappointed. That is, unless you feel that you want a change.

#471113 - 01/11/05 08:56 PM Re: Manual vs. Auto
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have always loved driving a stick since it definately gives you more control.

That being said I switched to automatics 15 years ago because I spent a lot of time driving in traffic and have no major regrets.

The only time I miss having a stick is when I need compression braking but that is not very often.

#471114 - 01/11/05 09:22 PM Re: Manual vs. Auto
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have to say that I test drove a 6MT S model and it felt fantastic. This is not what most people think of when they refer to "truck manual transmissions." It almost feels like a sports car (Obviously the X doesn't turn like a sports car, but that's not the transmission's fault). In fact, I like the X MT better than the MT on my wife's 06 Mustang (V6, not GT).

The only reason I ended up with an AT is because I couldn't find an OR with the MT.

Moderator:  defibvt, fastdrmr, socalpunx 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal