Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 137 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#465526 - 29/01/06 07:34 AM Speed Sensitive Wipers?
bpdA Offline

Loc: Chicago IL, Orange Co. CA, and...
I just noticed something on my X this morning driving around in the rain. If you set the front wipers to the second to last setting (setting fastest intermittent setting) they vary the wipe frequency depending on speed! For instance, when stopped at a light, there is considerably longer delay than when moving along at speed. I didn't try this at other intermittent settings yet but its a nice feature!

#465527 - 29/01/06 07:59 AM Re: Speed Sensitive Wipers?
NSANY Offline

Loc: Scenic NJ
Good catch. This clip comes straight from the 05 service manual.

*** snippet begins here ***

INTERMITTENT OPERATION
Wiper intermittent operation delay interval is determined from the combination of the intermittent wiper dial
position inputs and vehicle speed. During each intermittent operation delay interval, the BCM sends a front
wiper request signal to the IPDM E/R to operate the wipers.
When the ignition switch is in the ON or START position, and the front wiper switch is turned to an intermittent
position, the BCM detects a front wiper (intermittent) ON request through the combination switch (wiper
switch) reading function.
The BCM then sends a front wiper (intermittent) request signal over CAN communication lines
 from BCM terminals 39 and 40
 to IPDM E/R terminals 39 and 40.

When the BCM determines that combination switch status is front wiper intermittent ON, it performs the following
operations.
 BCM detects ON/OFF status of intermittent wiper dial position.
 BCM calculates operation interval from wiper dial position and vehicle speed signal received through CAN
communications.
 BCM sends front wiper request signal (INT) to IPDM E/R at calculated operation interval.
When the IPDM E/R receives a front wiper request signal (INT), it supplies ground to energize the front wiper
relay. It then sends an auto stop signal to the BCM, and conducts intermittent front wiper motor operation.

#465528 - 29/01/06 11:55 AM Re: Speed Sensitive Wipers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

have to test that out....

btw nice resume but color combination is very hard on the eyes almost made my eyes water

#465529 - 30/01/06 01:10 PM Re: Speed Sensitive Wipers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cool, will have to remember to check that out next time it rains.

#465530 - 30/01/06 02:25 PM Re: Speed Sensitive Wipers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Today is our 104th day since it last rained here in AZ. I've not even owned my X long enough to have seen any rain yet frown

#465531 - 30/01/06 02:51 PM Re: Speed Sensitive Wipers?
bpdA Offline

Loc: Chicago IL, Orange Co. CA, and...
This all reminds me of just how big of a switch Nissan made when they introduced the 2005's. My '02 was very simple and straigtforward in alot of ways, and my '05 now seems to have every function going through a computer and is not directly connected to things like they used to be. I don't mind it really, its just interesting to find something as mundane as a wiper function being computerized.

Moderator:  defibvt, fastdrmr, socalpunx 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal