Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#457024 - 03/07/06 07:53 AM Best 'outside temp' option for an 06'?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Before I committed to my X back in December I had the dealer throw in the EC Mirror. I have yet to get it installed, however, because it wasn't available 6 months ago. So what's up with the EC Mirror for the next gen X's "compass only"? F the compass...I would much rather have the temp display than that. Nissan parts told me that Nissan won't sell a temp/compass model for the X as a spare part. That said, what is my best option for an outside temperature display? So far in my search the only thing I like is the Wayfinder V2020 because it's wireless so no wires to hide. Radio Shack used to make a nice little temp display but I think that has been discontinued. Any ideas?

#457025 - 03/07/06 08:56 AM Re: Best 'outside temp' option for an 06'?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Maybe someone will be so kind as to link to the post where someone got the p/n of the dual compass/temp mirror from the same manufacturer as our mirrors. The only extra work is running the thermometer lead thru the headliner and windshield trim and out thru the firewall to the ambient outside air. Also it cost more than a $150, but yeah....stupid for not having a temp reading standard.

#457026 - 03/07/06 10:20 AM Re: Best 'outside temp' option for an 06'?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know where to get the Gentex mirror. The point is I am not going to have the dealer install the dimming mirror, that I negotiated as part of the purchase price of the X, only to go out and buy a different one and install it myself. I tried to get the dealer to install the temp/compass one for me but they say the only one available for the Xterra is compass only.

#457027 - 03/07/06 02:18 PM Re: Best 'outside temp' option for an 06'?
Anonymous
Unregistered

When you said they threw in the mirror, did they agree to install it at an additional cost? If they did, then just buy the mirror you want and have them install that instead.

If they are going to have to install the wiring for power, adding the temperature wire should not be any big deal.

#457028 - 03/07/06 03:07 PM Re: Best 'outside temp' option for an 06'?
Anonymous
Unregistered

--Just curious-Why do you CARE what the EXACT temp is outside???? [Argue] [Argue] --JIMBO

#457029 - 03/07/06 03:18 PM Re: Best 'outside temp' option for an 06'?
Anonymous
Unregistered

its a nice feature thats why. however, the location of my thermoeter always regesters way higher than it should be which kinda sucks.

#457030 - 03/07/06 06:30 PM Re: Best 'outside temp' option for an 06'?
Anonymous
Unregistered

those temps are never right anyway. you'd have better luck reading the sign at your local bank as you drive by (which is always wrong too.)

#457031 - 04/07/06 07:54 AM Re: Best 'outside temp' option for an 06'?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have the Gentx mirror with temp. I usually take the reading and subtract 10. When the engine is first cranked, it reads correctly, but the heat of the engine bay, I think, make it read higher than it actually is.

#457032 - 04/07/06 10:09 AM Re: Best 'outside temp' option for an 06'?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Open the window & stick your hand out instead. Much cheaper & automatically takes humidity into consideration. The compass on those Gentex mirrors should have LEDs next to the directional LEDs that light up & say "-ISH, maybe".

#457033 - 04/07/06 02:41 PM Re: Best 'outside temp' option for an 06'?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not sure about uselessnes of this set up..
For those of us living in the Northeast black ice is a big deal. You never know if the road is just wet or if it is icy. I had outside temp. sensor on my previous car and it was nice to know when you should take it easy around corners and sharp turns - a little snowflake would light up in the dash whenever the temp. drops below freezing. And you will be surprised - the road would look just wet, but some spots are really icy. Sensor was pretty accurate too - it all depends on the mounting location! I think the most practical place is to have it in the bumber, away from all the heat.
For those of you who never had this feature before, it may sound pretty useless, but if you had it before - you will really miss it. And if you have to deal with ice on the roads, you will really-really miss it.

#457034 - 04/07/06 06:51 PM Re: Best 'outside temp' option for an 06'?
Anonymous
Unregistered

If it's just the temp you want, go to a truckstop, they sell units with inside outside temp with compass option for like less than $30 It does have the sensor that goes outside, so it's a real outside reading. It sticks outside somewhere (you choose) Try Petro, Pilot, or TA all have them. OR if what you really want is it all in the mirror http://www.summitracing.com/ has them. I seen them on display and was going to get one. Like $250 MC

#457035 - 04/07/06 07:09 PM Re: Best 'outside temp' option for an 06'?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Glorik:
Not sure about uselessnes of this set up..
For those of us living in the Northeast black ice is a big deal. You never know if the road is just wet or if it is icy. I had outside temp. sensor on my previous car and it was nice to know when you should take it easy around corners and sharp turns - a little snowflake would light up in the dash whenever the temp. drops below freezing. And you will be surprised - the road would look just wet, but some spots are really icy. Sensor was pretty accurate too - it all depends on the mounting location! I think the most practical place is to have it in the bumber, away from all the heat.
For those of you who never had this feature before, it may sound pretty useless, but if you had it before - you will really miss it. And if you have to deal with ice on the roads, you will really-really miss it.
some of us who live in the northeast are bright enough to not take the chance and "take it easy" when there's any chance of there being ice... :p

i sure as hell wouldn't trust a thermometer's reading as to whether or not there's black ice or not, since the temp where your thermometer is reading has no real bearing on the temp where the ice may be forming (i.e. on the road, where the environmental conditions may be significantly different)...

#457036 - 05/07/06 04:37 PM Re: Best 'outside temp' option for an 06'?
Anonymous
Unregistered

This has already been tossed around, but I bought I wireless digital thermometer at Target for $18.00. Mounted the sensor behind the front lic. plate mount with some velcro and after taping up the batt. compartment (to keep out water). I just keep the display in the center console for when I'm curious about the temp. Tried the sensor in the roof bin...too hot.

#457037 - 05/07/06 09:42 PM Re: Best 'outside temp' option for an 06'?
Anonymous
Unregistered

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=78;t=001054

#457038 - 06/07/06 12:33 PM Re: Best 'outside temp' option for an 06'?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by dellster:
This has already been tossed around, but I bought I wireless digital thermometer at Target for $18.00. Mounted the sensor behind the front lic. plate mount with some velcro and after taping up the batt. compartment (to keep out water). I just keep the display in the center console for when I'm curious about the temp. Tried the sensor in the roof bin...too hot.
ghetto fab, but I like it. Ive thought about this route in the past, and I think itll work well with the sensor in the rear of the car out of the engine bay area.

Do you have any pics?

#457039 - 16/07/06 09:20 AM Re: Best 'outside temp' option for an 06'?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have done it and it is very accurate and simple to install if you have the patience.
Do a search first, there is a member who did it with complete instructions and pictures. I bought the exact same mirror off ebay from a Saturn vue, which I also have and have the color codes for both this mirror and the one on my SE. Now I did not have to find power as I already had the dimming option so I tapped into that I also had to buy the sensor which was a few bucks. I think the total amount spent was around $45.00 and a few hours time.

Moderator:  defibvt, fastdrmr, socalpunx 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal