Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#459922 - 20/09/06 06:24 PM shrock bumper install
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ordered a shrock bumper for my 05/06 Xterra...just wondering how you found the install to be like...easy? or very difficult? wink

#459923 - 22/09/06 09:59 AM Re: shrock bumper install
Anonymous
Unregistered

The install was pretty easy. The hardest part was finding all the little clips to get the stock bumper off.

It also helps to have two people and a floor jack.

#459924 - 22/09/06 04:25 PM Re: shrock bumper install
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Muzikman:
The install was pretty easy. The hardest part was finding all the little clips to get the stock bumper off.

It also helps to have two people and a floor jack.
thanks
was there any bolts or just all clips...does shrock send instructions for the removal of the stock bumper or just instructions for the install?
Any cutting to be done?

#459925 - 27/09/06 11:49 AM Re: shrock bumper install
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here is something I sent to someone over on thenewx.org when he got his bumper.

First off, use a floor jack and a 2nd person when trying to put the bumper on. With the winch inside this will be needed. With no winch you can stong arm it into place if needed.

The hardest part of the install will be getting the old bumper off. This took me the longest as I was not sure where all the screws and bolts were.

First take off the front skidplate
Remove all bolts and screws you can see on the old bumper (I think there are three under the front.
Remove the three screws from each side's front inner fender
Pull the inner fender out and there will be three bolts that hold the bumper to the fender
Disconnect the fog light wires
There are (I think) 6 clips that hold the top of the grill in place. Pop them out with a small flat headed screw driver
Reach down behind the grill and undo the 4 clips that hold the bottom of the grill to the bumper.
Remove the grill
Remove the 4 to 6 bolts that hold the top of the bumper.
Bumper should then pull away.

After that it's pretty self explainitory.

There are two other tips.

1. Confirm you have all mounting hardware before you start. I was missing more than half the bolts. It cost me $2.99 at Trader Horn to buy them, but it added almost an hour to my install time.
2. Do not tighten the mounting brack bolts until the bumper is on and lined up. The person who was helping me zipped them on with an air wrench and I had to loosen them back up.
3. Unless he fixed it, the skid plate is bent wrong (you'll see what I mean when you try and mount it). I used a floor jack to hold it in place and used a large impact wrench to tighen the bolts enough to bend it into place. It looks good and you can't even tell (I just don't want to have to try and take the bolts off by hand now). wink

#459926 - 27/09/06 01:04 PM Re: shrock bumper install
Anonymous
Unregistered

It is shrocking how simple it is laugh

#459927 - 27/09/06 06:24 PM Re: shrock bumper install
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Here is something I sent to someone over on thenewx.org when he got his bumper.

First off, use a floor jack and a 2nd person when trying to put the bumper on. With the winch inside this will be needed. With no winch you can stong arm it into place if needed.

The hardest part of the install will be getting the old bumper off. This took me the longest as I was not sure where all the screws and bolts were.

First take off the front skidplate
Remove all bolts and screws you can see on the old bumper (I think there are three under the front.
Remove the three screws from each side's front inner fender
Pull the inner fender out and there will be three bolts that hold the bumper to the fender
Disconnect the fog light wires
There are (I think) 6 clips that hold the top of the grill in place. Pop them out with a small flat headed screw driver
Reach down behind the grill and undo the 4 clips that hold the bottom of the grill to the bumper.
Remove the grill
Remove the 4 to 6 bolts that hold the top of the bumper.
Bumper should then pull away.

After that it's pretty self explainitory.

There are two other tips.

1. Confirm you have all mounting hardware before you start. I was missing more than half the bolts. It cost me $2.99 at Trader Horn to buy them, but it added almost an hour to my install time.
2. Do not tighten the mounting brack bolts until the bumper is on and lined up. The person who was helping me zipped them on with an air wrench and I had to loosen them back up.
3. Unless he fixed it, the skid plate is bent wrong (you'll see what I mean when you try and mount it). I used a floor jack to hold it in place and used a large impact wrench to tighen the bolts enough to bend it into place. It looks good and you can't even tell (I just don't want to have to try and take the bolts off by hand now). wink
thanks for that info smile

#459928 - 27/09/06 07:29 PM Re: shrock bumper install
Anonymous
Unregistered

Muzikman,
Did you let Jim known that your skid plate was bent wrong?

#459929 - 28/09/06 12:35 AM Re: shrock bumper install
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by miles:
Muzikman,
No, I guess he caught it before I ever got around to it. The batch of bumpers after mine were ok. I had one of the first runs.

#459930 - 28/09/06 09:59 AM Re: shrock bumper install
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by miles:
[b]Muzikman,
No, I guess he caught it before I ever got around to it. The batch of bumpers after mine were ok. I had one of the first runs.[/b]
You didnt take pics of the install by any chance?

#459931 - 28/09/06 10:19 AM Re: shrock bumper install
Anonymous
Unregistered

No, not really.

#459932 - 29/09/06 07:18 AM Re: shrock bumper install
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
No, not really.
I was checking out your truck on the shrockworks pic page of new generation bumpers and I saw a CB attenna...was that a hole you drilled? or was it already there when you purchased the bumper?
miles

#459933 - 29/09/06 09:03 AM Re: shrock bumper install
Anonymous
Unregistered

My X is on Shrock's page...huh, I didn't know that.

That is a hole I drilled. Wasn't hard to do. I like that location, though the die hard CB uses will tell you it's not the best place for an antenna. I have perfect SWR and I can transmit close to 4 miles (more than you would ever need on a highway).

#459934 - 29/09/06 07:05 PM Re: shrock bumper install
Anonymous
Unregistered

Muzikman,
How did you find the cutting of the bumper. You remember the part off the bumper that has the holes for the grill that needs to be cut...did you just use a jigsaw for that?

Moderator:  defibvt, fastdrmr, socalpunx 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal