Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#458472 - 25/10/06 04:47 PM Is the 06 xterra pre-wired for auto-dimming mirror?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Newby here, anybody know if the 06 xterra pre-wired for auto-dimming mirror? I heard the wires are just under the roof liner, any truth to that statement? Thanks! ~ Frank

#458473 - 25/10/06 06:44 PM Re: Is the 06 xterra pre-wired for auto-dimming mirror?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I installed the mirror in my X and didn't find any but the install was very easy. I can post the thread of my intall if you want.

#458474 - 25/10/06 11:27 PM Re: Is the 06 xterra pre-wired for auto-dimming mirror?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure if it isn't
prewired, you can pull wires from the map lights.
There is a constant positive wire there.
But then again guess if you use those wires, it'll
always be on. So i guess nevermind.

I thought regardless of what options are installed,
the X and any other car for that matter is fully
wired b/c the same wiring harnesses are used.
ie. the fog wiring exisitng even if fogs are not
factory installed.

#458475 - 26/10/06 06:28 AM Re: Is the 06 xterra pre-wired for auto-dimming mirror?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for your responses; I wonder if I have to remove the lining to get into the wiring?

#458476 - 26/10/06 07:13 PM Re: Is the 06 xterra pre-wired for auto-dimming mirror?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here you go Frank, this should help with the install on the mirror. I will list the two links that I read before my install and then post my install. Please e-mail me if you have any questions.

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=78;t=001054

Go to the section with the Frontier at this site:
http://www.reverendbiker.com/

And here is my install.. smile
http://www.xterraownersclub.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=78;t=001769

Good luck!

PS It has been a few months since my install and I am still glad that I did it--a very worthwhile project for minimal expense. The wiring is super easy. After the wires are exposed it literally takes 30 seconds to tap.

John

#458477 - 26/10/06 10:42 PM Re: Is the 06 xterra pre-wired for auto-dimming mirror?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just an FYI. Not sure if you were planning to get
the Gentex. But here is another option discussed
on the Frontier forums.

A cheaper alternative to the Gentex mirror with similar features.
Has compass, temperature, dimming mirror, and some other stuff.
Looks like it can be had for ~$50 on a good day on ebay but probably ~$60.
If I didn't have the Gentex mirror already I would definately consider this.

CLICK

#458478 - 19/11/06 04:42 PM Re: Is the 06 xterra pre-wired for auto-dimming mirror?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I put in that cheeper alternative off ebay today. Was only $60. They can go cheeper, some go more. Good for the price.

And no, it's not prewired. But I used the directions above and it was great...thanks a ton!

http://myweb.hinet.net/home5/exon/products/automotive/b1/index.html

Works fine, compass and temp are accurate. It dims really well and quickly, both in and out. Better than the one I had in a GM car. It dims to like a LCD blue/black.

The thing I don't like it is defaults to the compass deg. and N/S/E/W (as shown in the above link) and not temp.+N/S/E/W. Not a big deal, you just have to push the temp/compass toggle. The big thing I do like is you can turn off the display. I think the Blue is tacky with the orange, haven't seen an aftermarket one that matches yet. I just like the temp once in a while (like before getting out).

It has some UV sensor, don't know if it's worth anything, I'll find out.

Easy install. Took me the afternoon, but I was putting in XM too.

Here is a shady pic (sorry it's dark now):

#458479 - 20/11/06 09:10 PM Re: Is the 06 xterra pre-wired for auto-dimming mirror?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Looks good. I like it..

Moderator:  defibvt, fastdrmr, socalpunx 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal