2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#452237 - 14/12/06 11:08 AM Tranmission Clunks
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've got an 06 OffRoad 4x4 with about 10,000 miles on it. I was wondering if everyone elses transmission makes a "clunk" noise when going from deceleration to acceleration? It happens when, say I am doing about 30mph, let off of the gas and you can feel the transmission hold back, almost as if it disengages. When I get back on the gas, even if it is as light as I can, it "clunks" like there is a large amount of slack in the transmission. I recently took it in to have it checked and the dealer is telling me that it is normal "u-joint noise." I was reading other threads about noises, however could not find one similar, except for the noises when actually shifting form D to R, etc. Anyone have this noise? or feel the slack in the drivetrain? Normal?

#452238 - 14/12/06 11:50 AM Re: Tranmission Clunks
Anonymous
Unregistered

I actually have a similar problem. You really have to be paying attention to notice it. It appears to be normal slack in the driveline.

#452239 - 14/12/06 12:49 PM Re: Tranmission Clunks
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think it is normal. I had the same issue, complained, and the Dealer said the slop was within tolerance.
I was reasurred when I took a ride in an '07 and noticed it was exactly the same as mine. [ThumbsUp]

I'll definately have it checked again if it appears worse or I'm coming to the end of my warranty. wink

#452240 - 14/12/06 12:56 PM Re: Tranmission Clunks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the quick replys. If I have the stereo on, I don't notice it, but once I hear it, I listen for it and it sounds like the transmission is going to fall out on the road. When I am towing the boat I don't notice it as much, I guess because it is under load. Well I guess I'll do like you all and go with what the dealer says for now. It is documented now, so I will take it in before the warranty is up and have them check it again. Thanks again.

#452241 - 14/12/06 02:53 PM Re: Tranmission Clunks
Anonymous
Unregistered

could it be axel wrap?

#452242 - 14/12/06 03:51 PM Re: Tranmission Clunks
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm sorry snutty, I am not familiar with that term. Could you explain?

#452243 - 14/12/06 04:08 PM Re: Tranmission Clunks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I was reasurred when I took a ride in an '07 and noticed it was exactly the same as mine.
Would that've been me? wink I saw the thread and thought, "hmmm, sounds familiar.." normalx2

#452244 - 14/12/06 04:32 PM Re: Tranmission Clunks
defibvt Offline

Loc: AZ
I got no clunking issues.

#452245 - 14/12/06 07:35 PM Re: Tranmission Clunks
Anonymous
Unregistered

I hear it pretty regularly. I haven't worried about it, sounds like normal driveline noise to me.

#452246 - 14/12/06 08:26 PM Re: Tranmission Clunks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mine has done it since day one. I think it is as others have described--just a little slack in driveline gears when going from acc. to decceleration.

It doesn't concern me as it seems to be normal play in driveline. I am glad that you mentioned it because at times I did wonder...

#452247 - 15/12/06 01:07 PM Re: Tranmission Clunks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by jandrew:
Mine has done it since day one. I think it is as others have described--just a little slack in driveline gears when going from acc. to decceleration.

It doesn't concern me as it seems to be normal play in driveline. I am glad that you mentioned it because at times I did wonder...
x2 [ThumbsUp]

#452248 - 15/12/06 03:40 PM Re: Tranmission Clunks
Anonymous
Unregistered

x3.

Mine did it from the start. Going about 40 MPH, let off the gas, clunk, coast, gas it a bit, coast, clunk, etc.

Feels like the lock up torque converter is dropping out. Not a big clunk, but noticible. Only seems to do it at that speed.

#452249 - 15/12/06 04:11 PM Re: Tranmission Clunks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mine does it around 40 mph also when giving it gas after coasting..I can also here it clunk twice(back at the rear-end) at 20mph as the auto transmission downshifts when coming up to a stop sign. Took it into the dealer last week and he said it was inherent in the OR differential design..that they had heard it often before. I was going to take it to another dealer...mine definately sounds like slack/play in the differential gears. I didn't seem to notice it until I got about 15M miles on the vehicle. I can live with it IF I'm not going to have to pay to replace the rear-end a 150M miles from now.

#452250 - 15/12/06 04:52 PM Re: Tranmission Clunks
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've had a couple of chevy trucks with a slip yoke splines on the front of the driveshaft that did this clunk and clang. In those cases, the slip yoke splines needed more grease because they would hang up and then suddenly pop as the rear of the vehicle squatted and shortened the d/s to axle distance.

use synth grease

#452251 - 17/12/06 09:14 PM Re: Tranmission Clunks
Anonymous
Unregistered

I got mine checked out and they said everything was in tolerances. the tech rode with me and he said he would check out a throttle sensor that tells the trans what gear to be in and this can give you hesitation but it was not the sounds start. so just have them check that as well but i was told that i was a ok and i two will go in around the end of the warranty to get it checked out one more time [drink]

#452252 - 18/12/06 05:38 PM Re: Tranmission Clunks
Anonymous
Unregistered

The torque converter is a device that connects the engine to the transmission without the use of a clutch. 30-40 MPH is supposed to the speed at which the torque converter locks or unlocks...Below 30-40 MPH, the torque converter is unlocked, meaning the engine is connected to the transmission only by fluid coupling (This is the reason that the engine can idle in "D" without the wheels turning). Once the torque converter locks, the engine flywheel is directly connected to the input shaft of the transmission with a 1:1 ratio. This is what is meant by a "lock up torque converter." Perhaps the sound you are hearing is the torque converter? I haven't really noticed this but I will listen for it next time.

#452253 - 24/02/07 04:41 PM Re: Tranmission Clunks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Brokenknee:
Mine does it around 40 mph also when giving it gas after coasting..I can also here it clunk twice(back at the rear-end) at 20mph as the auto transmission downshifts when coming up to a stop sign. Took it into the dealer last week and he said it was inherent in the OR differential design..that they had heard it often before. I was going to take it to another dealer...mine definately sounds like slack/play in the differential gears. I didn't seem to notice it until I got about 15M miles on the vehicle. I can live with it IF I'm not going to have to pay to replace the rear-end a 150M miles from now.
Ditto! New Off Road and it started doing this at 200 miles, I think it is anoying as hell like when you have a boot that pops you in the ankle every time you take a step!

Moderator:  defibvt, fastdrmr, socalpunx 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal