Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#453685 - 11/05/06 10:00 PM Replacing fuel filter?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a 05 Xterra SE 4X4 and it shows in the manual that the fuel filter has to be changed. I can't seem to find it, anyone help?

#453686 - 12/05/06 03:45 AM Re: Replacing fuel filter?
NSANY Offline

Loc: Scenic NJ
The filter is part of the fuel pump assembly. Haven't done it yet, but the shop manual seems to call for dropping the tank to get to it. I'm hoping there's an access hatch to get to the pump assembly that doesn't necessitate dropping the tank, but I haven't looked.

#453687 - 12/05/06 05:36 AM Re: Replacing fuel filter?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't think there's an access hatch unfortunately. The manual does call for disconnecting the straps and lowering the tank. PITA!

Here's a general overview of all the parts involved: Linky.

Unless I get some crap in my tank, I'm not going to worry about swapping out the filter.

#453688 - 12/05/06 06:18 AM Re: Replacing fuel filter?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
The filter shouldn't need attention for a couple or three more years yet.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#453689 - 12/05/06 07:40 AM Re: Replacing fuel filter?
Anonymous
Unregistered

my jeep is going on 8 years without any in tank work. if you pull the fuel pump assy, you have to replace the whole shebang as a unit, I'm sure.

I guess they figured nobody replaced their fuel filters when they were external anyhow. typically, I'd see anywhere from 10-15 years before cars would stop running due to plugging on f.i. when I used to be a mechanic.

#453690 - 12/05/06 08:20 AM Re: Replacing fuel filter?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I replaced the fuel filter at about 60k miles on my 1st gen X. That was a PITA, but it was external at least. Didn't realize the 2nd Gen was even worse.

#453691 - 12/05/06 02:30 PM Re: Replacing fuel filter?
Anonymous
Unregistered

According to the Nissan Service and Maintenance Guide (2006) page 9, the Fuel Filter is a "maintenance-free item". Unless your filter is clogged or failed in some other way it should not need replacing. You should have received a copy of the Service and Maintenance Guide with your vehicle.

#453692 - 13/05/06 10:07 PM Re: Replacing fuel filter?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by GraniteX:
According to the Nissan Service and Maintenance Guide (2006) page 9, the Fuel Filter is a "maintenance-free item". Unless your filter is clogged or failed in some other way it should not need replacing. You should have received a copy of the Service and Maintenance Guide with your vehicle.
Correct. the so-called filter is just a sort of mesh bag that attaches to the fuel pump. It is the same as in my Z - that I have taken apart during my APS TT install.

#453693 - 31/12/07 11:07 AM Re: Replacing fuel filter?
dezurtrat Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ
So, is anyone doing anything extra to maintain a clean system being that the filter can't be changed regularly such as BG service or just adding fuel system cleaner to the tank more frequently?

I got in the habit of never letting the tank go below 1/4 with my '02 so I'm definitely sticking to that with my '08!

Moderator:  defibvt, fastdrmr, socalpunx 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal