2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#449852 - 16/11/07 08:43 PM Tire Pressure Warning Light
Anonymous
Unregistered

Happy Friday,

So I recently got a new set of tires. Yokohama Geolander G051's and i love em. But ive noticed one thing...

On the highway, around 65-70mph, i get a blinking (!) light....then it stays solid.....and when i slow down to exit off the highway, it stops. This has happened twice.

Could this be debris on one of the sensors? I check my Tire Pressure frequently, no problems.

Any Thoughts? Thanks!

#449853 - 17/11/07 03:21 PM Re: Tire Pressure Warning Light
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's definately a fault in the tpms, could be a bad sensor or debris like you suggested. I did have a bad sensor on my 06, caused the light to flash then stay on steady. All that tells you is there is a problem. Have the dealer scan it, they should be able to tell you what is wrong and it is covered under warranty if you still have coverage.

#449854 - 26/11/07 06:11 PM Re: Tire Pressure Warning Light
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had a similar problem with mine. Then my odo would blink and beep. I had the dealer check it out. It was something with the TPMS. They fixed it and havent had a problem since.

#449855 - 26/11/07 07:09 PM Re: Tire Pressure Warning Light
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does the spare tire have a TPS?

#449856 - 26/11/07 07:31 PM Re: Tire Pressure Warning Light
Anonymous
Unregistered

cool Yo silver05--

Quote:
Originally posted by silver05:
Does the spare tire have a TPS?
--No, neither the steel nor the alloy spare are supplied with a transmitter--

-- [Wave] [Wave] --JIMBO

#449857 - 27/11/07 08:25 PM Re: Tire Pressure Warning Light
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mine went off again last week. Happens whenever it gets cold. I thought they were supposed to be happy at 35 psi, but mine isn't really happy until I have 40 psi in the tires.

#449858 - 27/11/07 09:09 PM Re: Tire Pressure Warning Light
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mine also went off the first time it got cold. I checked the pressures and I dont think I found one more than 2-3 psi below what the door sticker said it should be. Seems its a very sensitive system. I have also read reports of people having individual psi sending units go bad. They have small batteries in them which could go bad as well.

#449859 - 02/12/07 09:28 PM Re: Tire Pressure Warning Light
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had something similar happen a few weeks back. Driving on the Interstate in the pouring rain, only doing about 40 mph (it was raining really really hard), all the sudden my TPS light starting flashing. Thinking something was really wrong I pulled over and stopped under an overpass. Before I stopped completely the light switching from blinking to solid. I checked all tires and they were down to 32 psi but when I started back up the light was off and never came back on. Weird.

#449860 - 11/12/07 01:34 PM Re: Tire Pressure Warning Light
Anonymous
Unregistered

Granted, I've only had my Offroad 4 days but day two, the TPMS came on solid about 24 hrs after I took delivery. The next day, I gagued the tires with my digital and got 29.5 all around. I bumped them up the 34.5 and all has been well.

My question is, don't they know that people air down on the trail? Seems a stupid feature for the Offroad, especially. I suppose we have Ford, Firestone, and namely LAWYERS to thank for it. I'm really impressed with the T/A's, buy the way... way quieter than they look.

#449861 - 12/12/07 05:53 PM Re: Tire Pressure Warning Light
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nissan didn't want to put in these gauges, it is the law for SUV after the Ford fiasco with the roll-overs.

They cost money to put in but it is US regs now not a feature.

#449862 - 12/12/07 08:22 PM Re: Tire Pressure Warning Light
Anonymous
Unregistered

It is my understanding that the TPMS wasn't mandatory until the '08 model year, but some manufacturers chose to begin putting the systems in a few years early.

Hopefully someone can either verify this or correct me.

#449863 - 13/12/07 09:07 PM Re: Tire Pressure Warning Light
Anonymous
Unregistered

I put my winter snow tires on, and after about a week the low tire warning light cam on. Tire pressure was OK, light stays on. The only other time that the warning light came on was when a tire had a nail in it and was really low, so I know the system works. I called my local Nissan Dealer, and they said to come in and they would scan the system and reset it. My '05 X has 40k miles on it and is 2.5 years old. The service rep said that it is not covered by warranty.

My questions are: 1) When tires are changed, do the transducers need to be serviced. 2) Can the Nissan dealer really scan and reset, and how much $$, they would not tell me. 3) Is this not a warranty item. Should it be, as a safety system.

#449864 - 13/12/07 10:08 PM Re: Tire Pressure Warning Light
Anonymous
Unregistered

1) They shouldn't need to be serviced unless a careless tire tech broke/damaged one of the sensors.

2) Yes, the Nissan dealer can reset the system. I don't know how much they would charge, though.

3)Don't know about warranty on this. If you have extended warranty, it may be worth reading your policy thoroughly - especially if they are going to charge you a bunch of money.

Awhile ago, I blew a tire and a sensor. Both have been replaced, but I have not had the dealer initialize the new sensor yet. My tire gauge works real well, so I am not in a huge hurry to pay the dealer...

#449865 - 03/01/08 05:52 PM Re: Tire Pressure Warning Light
Anonymous
Unregistered

At about 15500 miles I started experiencing the same thing. During my last visit at about 19500, I had the dealership check the system. Their claim is that the tires were a few pounds low. Like others they said that the tire pressure recommendations on the door were too low. 40psi is what they recommended. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it starts up again. I though, from reading the warranty book, that if it flashed and then came on that indicated a malfunction. But again the dealer said that if it just blinked it was faulty, but staying on solid indicated low pressure.

#449866 - 02/02/08 05:49 AM Re: Tire Pressure Warning Light
Walt Offline

Loc: Grapevine, TX
I'm curious if anyone has tried Nitrogen in their tires, and if they have seen a drop in occurrence of TPMS faults.

Please understand- I am not trying to start a debate on the virtues of Nitrogen (95%+ purity) vs. atmosphere (which is already 78% Nitrogen). I just want to know if anyone has switched and if it made a difference for them.

Thanks.....

#449867 - 02/02/08 04:09 PM Re: Tire Pressure Warning Light
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm running nitrogen in my 06, and I occasionally get a tpms issue. Sometimes the damn thing blinks for a minute and goes off, sometimes the light comes on when I start the truck. Dealer claims there is nothing wrong, so I have started searching options on how to disable the damn thing. Dealer claims they can't do it and asked how I would know if a tire was low. Same way we all used to do it, with a gauge. I have friends who run regular air, they get tpms issues all the time when the temperature changes rapidly.

#449868 - 14/02/08 02:35 PM Re: Tire Pressure Warning Light
Anonymous
Unregistered

If I run 40psi the light stays off. Always. Whenever I have the tires rebalanced I ask them to re-inflate back to 40psi.

I find that if my TPMS light is going to flash it is usually when driving at altitude (10,000') and when it is very cold. When that happens, and knowing what is probably going on, I usually wait until the next day to check tire pressure. Sure enough, one or more tires are sitting back at 35psi.

The BFG All Terrains have great sidewalls. A few years back I thought that one tire seemed a bit low. When I checked pressure it was like 8psi. I had driven like this for, maybe, 50 miles. I would like to think the TPMS in the X will provide a heads up next time.

Once you figure out the nuances it's really not a big deal. When I air down for off road I simply ignore the light.

#449869 - 20/03/08 03:43 PM Re: Tire Pressure Warning Light
Anonymous
Unregistered

This morning on the way to work my incredibly freaking loud tire pressure alarm went off.

Did a forum search after I got to work and learned quite a bit reading thru all the posts.

Bought a digital tire gauge at lunch and took some readings. 36.5 on both front tires, 29.5 left rear, 31.5 right rear. Inflated both rear tires to 36.5 and drove off. 1/4 mile later the light went out and all is well. My only thought was...the rear tires didn't look any different than the front tires, and it wasn't handling funny.

Meh...$10.00 problem solved.

Moderator:  defibvt, fastdrmr, socalpunx 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal