shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 48 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#463036 - 17/06/08 06:02 AM Is this unwise???
Anonymous
Unregistered

The local stealership wants $750 for the 30K service... flush and change transmission fluid, radiator, service front and rear diff- which I assume means changing the oil. I currently have about 35K+ miles and I thought these fluids were designed to go a long time like 100K??? I change the oil regularly with Mobil 1 synth. Do these procedures really NEED to be done. I'm not directing this at you folks that sleep with your X's and cover them at night, lol no offense. I do love my X off road!. But I also have 2 little girls and thats a lot of scratch. Is changing the trans fluid the one necessary service? I could also save by going away from the Nissan dealer but is using OEM fluid crucial or would it be the same? Appreciate the help.

Dave in western MA.

#463037 - 17/06/08 07:02 AM Re: Is this unwise???
Anonymous
Unregistered

ouch - that's pretty steep.

Front & Rear Diffs are a piece of cake to change out the fluid yourself. Nice little How To over on NewX: http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=4320

For the Front & Rear Diff, Manual Trans and Transfer Case the Amsol fluids came to about $160 shipped.

#463038 - 17/06/08 07:30 AM Re: Is this unwise???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah - changing all of those fluids is actually a fairly easy thing to do. They're all designed so you can get to them relatively easily. Just expect to get dirty doing it.

One word of caution, here. Find out where you can dispose of the fluids legally and safely. Pouring them into the storm drains or the like is Very Bad. The antifreeze is very attractive to animals and it can't be metabolized. Basically, it crystallizes in their kidneys and they die a very, very painful death.

I believe most autopart stores will take oil that's not mixed with water and antifreeze as an additional (and likely free) service.

#463039 - 17/06/08 08:03 AM Re: Is this unwise???
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
Another dealer trying to screw a customer. When will they learn? All of those services shouldn't cost over $200 or so at a reputable shop. My suggestion is to go to cartalk.com , look on the left side for 'Find a great mechanic', enter your zip code, and read the reviews on local shops until you find one or more you're comfortable with. Call them and ask for an estimate to perform those services and go from there.

You can of course do it yourself but as someone pointed out, you have the usual problems of disposal and so on, and if your schedule is tight and you have an honest mechanic, often it's smarter to just pay someone to do it.

Now one question, and I mean no offense, but where did you get the idea that your fluids (except the oil) would last to 100K?

#463040 - 17/06/08 11:19 AM Re: Is this unwise???
Anonymous
Unregistered

I did all mine for under $50 and did not take more than a couple of hours (next time I know what I am doing and should do it a lot quicker). You just need either a small oil pump or an 20 oz coke bottle for the front diff since the fill spot is in a tight spot.

#463041 - 17/06/08 02:24 PM Re: Is this unwise???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Called to make an appt at the stealership for an oil change (free with the purchase) and they wanted to charge me $200 to change the air filter and clean the battery posts, Told them no thanks. Then I showed up to have the change done all of a sudden it was $60, Still said no thanks, Auto zone was having a 20% off sales on K&N's.

#463042 - 17/06/08 04:04 PM Re: Is this unwise???
mineralblue Offline

Loc: Downtown Houston, TX
If you're too lazy like me to do it yourself, and yet tight on the money - do what I do...

spend the $25 to get the oil change and full inspection... then take the estimate on necessary work (like flushing fluids and replacing worn belts) to a reputable local auto shop who will do it for a fraction of the cost...

oh and change the air filters yourself - they're a piece of cake... smile I was replacing my air filter in the parking lot of my condo, and my neighbor (who is an ER doctor) was amazed... he had no freaking clue how to replace the air filter.

#463043 - 17/06/08 05:12 PM Re: Is this unwise???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by mineralblue:
I was replacing my air filter in the parking lot of my condo, and my neighbor (who is an ER doctor) was amazed... he had no freaking clue how to replace the air filter.
Yikes...note to self, don't get hurt and need ER care from that "doctor" ... ... ...

laugh

#463044 - 17/06/08 06:44 PM Re: Is this unwise???
BlueSky Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mineralblue:
If you're too lazy like me to do it yourself, and yet tight on the money - do what I do...

spend the $25 to get the oil change and full inspection... then take the estimate on necessary work (like flushing fluids and replacing worn belts) to a reputable local auto shop who will do it for a fraction of the cost...

oh and change the air filters yourself - they're a piece of cake... smile I was replacing my air filter in the parking lot of my condo, and my neighbor (who is an ER doctor) was amazed... he had no freaking clue how to replace the air filter.
Good advice, but about the ER doctor, in fairness you have no idea how to do an emergency appendectomy. laugh

#463045 - 17/06/08 08:19 PM Re: Is this unwise???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey,

If you decide to do it yourself and need all of the fluids, let me know. I have everything you'll need in Amsoil Synthetics as well as an Amsoil reusable air filter. I also have the cabin filter (Amsoil). The only thing that I have that is not Amsoil is the transmission fluid (auto transmission) which is Nissan brand--wanted to make sure I wouldn't have warrantee issues later. I bought all of this stuff and then traded in the X before I changed all of the fluids. Sure miss the X.......thus still checking out this forum smile

If interested, let me know. Wish you were closer so I wouldn't need to ship all the stuff, but if you are interested I will check on shipping and throw you a price for the stuff and shipping.

#463046 - 18/06/08 03:19 PM Re: Is this unwise???
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had the 30k service done except trans, tcase, and front diff. Cost $650, but they did the cooling flush, rear diff, allignment, mount and balance new tires, oil change 'cause I was just too lazy and it was cold out, and did the fog light install and that included parts, once again 'cause I was just too lazy. $750 is waaaaay too much.

#463047 - 18/06/08 04:43 PM Re: Is this unwise???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Xdrivingogre:
I had the 30k service done except trans, tcase, and front diff. Cost $650, but they did the cooling flush, rear diff, allignment, mount and balance new tires, oil change 'cause I was just too lazy and it was cold out, and did the fog light install and that included parts, once again 'cause I was just too lazy. $750 is waaaaay too much.
Jesus H Christ! You must not like money. You pissed away about $500 bucks there chump.

How about next time the book in your glove box tells you what service you need, send me the $500 I'll tell you most of that work didn't need to be done. Consider the $500 a consulting fee.

One born everyday I guess...

#463048 - 18/06/08 07:10 PM Re: Is this unwise???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hmmm lets see here... Was it worth it to pay that much to have that much done and not bleed, get dirty, or freeze my ass off? Yup. Had it done last December, allignment needed to be done, rear diff was making noise so I wanted it documented that the fluid was changed, don't trust the local tire shops to mount tires as they like to kill alloy wheels, plus the fog light install and that price included the lights and switch. I think it was worth it, unless you think you can do all that for $150 including all parts. Chump.

#463049 - 18/06/08 07:21 PM Re: Is this unwise???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Hmmm lets see here... Was it worth it to pay that much to have that much done and not bleed, get dirty, or freeze my ass off? Yup. Had it done last December, allignment needed to be done, rear diff was making noise so I wanted it documented that the fluid was changed, don't trust the local tire shops to mount tires as they like to kill alloy wheels, plus the fog light install and that price included the lights and switch. I think it was worth it, unless you think you can do all that for $150 including all parts. Chump.
Shite, you didn't mention the fog light install..... [Laughing]

I'd do the whole show for $200 and put the other $450 into my son's college fund.

Suck it up and put on a couple extra skirts, a pair of gloves and do it yourself next time Sally. (assuming you can do it yourself)

Maybe you were busy taking the kids to soccer practice with a roast in the oven to boot. One never knows... ... ...

Chump-y [Finger]

#463050 - 18/06/08 07:37 PM Re: Is this unwise???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Kiss my what?

#463051 - 18/06/08 07:55 PM Re: Is this unwise???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Kiss my what?
sorry, did you mean to post that in the stay at home mom forum ?

Just wondering Sally.

Maybe you should use the oven mits next time you change the oil.

#463052 - 19/06/08 04:06 AM Re: Is this unwise???
BlueSky Offline

Quote:
...and did the fog light install and that included parts...
Yeah, he probably paid too much for what he had done, bpc. But he did mention the fog light install. laugh

#463053 - 19/06/08 07:04 PM Re: Is this unwise???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by bpc:
Quote:
[b]Kiss my what?

Just wondering Sally.

Maybe you should use the oven mits next time you change the oil.[/b]
Understand this asshat:

You also forgot to read the part about an alignment. I don't care who you go to, but they don't give those away either. If you think you can get all that done for $200 be my guest and have fun going back to have something redone.

#463054 - 19/06/08 07:49 PM Re: Is this unwise???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by bpc:
[b]
Quote:
[b]Kiss my what?

Just wondering Sally.

Maybe you should use the oven mits next time you change the oil.[/b]
Understand this asshat:

You also forgot to read the part about an alignment. I don't care who you go to, but they don't give those away either. If you think you can get all that done for $200 be my guest and have fun going back to have something redone.[/b]
Ok, so you still overpaid. What's your point Sally?

#463055 - 19/06/08 10:27 PM Re: Is this unwise???
thefatmikePDX Offline

Loc: Portland
Man.. I dropped mine off at 3pm and told them they could keep it overnight... not only did I only get charged around 300 bones, but they gave me a 2008 Cadillac with a tank of gas.. I tell you I love my guys at the dlrship...

Moderator:  defibvt, fastdrmr, socalpunx 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal