2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 110 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#495098 - 04/03/10 05:25 AM Towing an Enclosed Trailer (6'x12'x6'6")
Knarley Offline

Hey all,

I have a 2006 X, and am planning to purchase a 6x12 enclosed trailer that's extra tall (6'6") so we can camp in it. It will be a single axle with brakes. Haven't decided on V-Nose or flat front.

This trailer is lower to the ground than the X, so the air traveling underneath the X will hit the bottom of it, and it is also taller than the X, so the same will apply to the top.

The plan is to haul it from TX into the Rockies a couple times a year, and several 2-3 hour trips on flat ground as well.

Fully loaded, the trailer will be around 3,000 lbs (well within the 5000 lb towing capacity), so weight shouldn't be an issue, and I can balance the load so the tongue weight is correct, but I'm concerned about wind resistance.

Has anyone else pulled a similar trailer with their Next Gen X? I would assume the motor can handle it, but what about headwinds and sidewinds, and gas mileage? Is the "road fatigue" too much for a long trip? Should I scrap the idea, and just pull an open trailer instead?

Thanks in advance!

#495099 - 04/03/10 05:47 AM Re: Towing an Enclosed Trailer (6'x12'x6'6") [Re: Knarley]
swampwrecker Offline

Loc: Brunswick, GA
I've towed a 4,300 lb, 23' travel trailer with my 1st Gen. I've towed it more than 5,000 miles total (2 trips were over 2,000 miles round trip) and the X towed it very well. I didn't have power to muscle up big hills and tall bridges, but I just hung out with the tractor trailers smile.

The 1st Gen tows very well. With anti-sway and a weight distribution system, there was no sway from passing trucks and it handles well in the wind. I would imagine the 2nd Gen would easily out perform the 1st Gen in towing with the more powerful, larger engine and similar wheel base. You probably wouldn't notice a 3,000 lb trailer if you use anti-sway and weight distribution.

-Michael

#495101 - 04/03/10 06:39 AM Re: Towing an Enclosed Trailer (6'x12'x6'6") [Re: swampwrecker]
Knarley Offline

Thanks Michael! How tall was your travel trailer? Did it have a flat front?

Originally Posted By: swampwrecker
I've towed a 4,300 lb, 23' travel trailer with my 1st Gen. I've towed it more than 5,000 miles total (2 trips were over 2,000 miles round trip) and the X towed it very well. I didn't have power to muscle up big hills and tall bridges, but I just hung out with the tractor trailers smile.

The 1st Gen tows very well. With anti-sway and a weight distribution system, there was no sway from passing trucks and it handles well in the wind. I would imagine the 2nd Gen would easily out perform the 1st Gen in towing with the more powerful, larger engine and similar wheel base. You probably wouldn't notice a 3,000 lb trailer if you use anti-sway and weight distribution.

-Michael

#495104 - 04/03/10 09:14 AM Re: Towing an Enclosed Trailer (6'x12'x6'6") [Re: Knarley]
granitex Offline

Loc: Columbus. Oh
get the v-front if you can, any little bit helps.

#495115 - 04/03/10 01:50 PM Re: Towing an Enclosed Trailer (6'x12'x6'6") [Re: Knarley]
swampwrecker Offline

Loc: Brunswick, GA
Originally Posted By: Knarley
Thanks Michael! How tall was your travel trailer? Did it have a flat front?

It's pretty flat, but not completely flat. The trailer was just shy of 11 ft tall (I think it was 10'9"). Here's a picture of the trailer. I know I have a few pictures of the trailer on the truck, but I can't seem to find them at the moment. I'll look a little harder after the kids go to bed.

-Michael

Moderator:  defibvt, fastdrmr, socalpunx 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal