I’m now beginning to understand the X mystic!! I’ve joined your group because unless the new X has some serious 1st year teething issues (as I've been burned on some 1st year models). I believe I’m seeing the light. I’m not planning to buy until the fall, giving me time for the dust to settle and dealers to start dealing.

Long story short, I’ve been shopping for a truck / SUV now for over a year, mostly waiting for the new models to arrive and see what all I like & dislike. I’ve driven such about everything, Titan, 4Runner, Cherokee, Murano, Sequoia, Tundra, Pathfinder (04 & 05), Yukon/Tahoe, Envoy, Pilot, Element, Durango, (some new, some used). Everything always seem to have something major that I didn’t like; no head room, too big/small, too expensive, poor MPG, lousy handling, tight 2nd row seating, odd shaped cargo space, you name there was always something that would prevent me from wanting to drop 25-35 G’s.

OK here are my first drive impressions of the new ’05 Xterra. I have liked the looks (pictures) and have since last April, and in person I was NOT disappointed. In fact I reconfirm that with the X setting next to the new Pathfinder. I like that get me dirty, rugged style, rather than the uptown looks of many other SUV’s. And it appears to be just about the right size, meaning plenty of headroom, 2nd row seating, & cargo.

* Ride * the X handling is as truck like, but it did not seem to be overly truckish. More sport tuned than floatie limo like. I loved the just right exhaust sound, not overly done like in the Titan/Aramda. I really could not find much wrong with how the X road & handled.

* Exterior *
I wish that the running boards on the SE were not standard, but rather a dealer installed option. If I get an SE I hope to be able to dealer trade them for satellite radio, otherwise I’ll remove them. I like that I can get IN/OUT of the X very easily.

I also like that the front and back bumpers NOT painted, as they would simply get scratched & chipped.

Hatch window, having a flip open would have been nice. Roll down (like 4Runner) would have been the best option for me (dogs).

* Interior *
I find the radio control knobs to be too small, I think they need to be a little bigger (about double the size).

Like some other critics I see too much hard plastic. I’m not sure if this is by design or a minor oversight like the first year of the Altima.

I wished Nissan had used the Pathfinder’s charcoal gray, instead of the steel gray. I prefer darker rather than lighter. I hope the Off-Road blue suits my taste. Like some others leather would have been nice, but I doubt butt warmers would have been included.

I’m hoping the OR still rides as well as the SE, and the tires are not too noisey. I can’t seem to see why one would get an SE over an OR. I mean add on the Fosgate and you have a SE minus the running boards plus a more capable 4x4 machine (just in case).