Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#481388 - 26/03/06 07:49 AM Thank god I found you guys!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hubbie spent all morning trying to find info about changing the fuel filter. Did a google and came across you guys! Hooray! Especially since we're at 122k and will also need to do the timing belt change asap (read the posts there too) Dealer quoted us 800 just for that and didn't mention the water pump. Other dealers are 60+ miles away frown Just want to let ya'll know I'm glad you're here! We're not a super tricked out super offroading X family. Pretty much point a to g to z mom stuff. Got her because of a really bad snow storm 7 years ago, was house bound for 5 days and had a honda cvcc at the time. The price was right, and the color ensures I can always find her in a parking lot! YellerX has been a true champ and short of the fuel sending unit that went out (recalled) she hasn't let me down once! Rain, sleet, snow or hail, this truck has yet to fail. We are lusting after the 06's only because it seems they fixed all the minor complaints I had - back seat/leg room, accessing top rack easier and other small cosmetic things. Am curious about the mechanical aspects of the new one tho- have they improved the location of #6 sparkplug? Is the fuel filter/timing belt in a more easily accessed spot? Well it will have to wait awhile as the budgets tight and this gal's paid for! anyhow, nuff said glad to find ya'll!!!!

#481389 - 26/03/06 08:59 AM Re: Thank god I found you guys!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Welcome aboard and you're right. Yeller is the best color for X' smile
Quote:
Especially since we're at 122k and will also need to do the timing belt change asap
ASAP is about right.. You'll want to get that taken care of really soon, as if it goes (timing belt) it'll take a lot of other internals with it.. Should be about $4-600 for the job depending on who you know, unless of course you'd be doing it yourself. Parts are less than $200 as I recall.
Good luck and enjoy the site [Wave]

#481390 - 26/03/06 09:00 AM Re: Thank god I found you guys!
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Glad you found us.

#481391 - 26/03/06 09:01 AM Re: Thank god I found you guys!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh, as for the fuel filter, it's relatively staightforward, search in "backyard mechanic" forum using keywords "fuel filter". You'll get all the info you need. smile

#481392 - 26/03/06 10:07 AM Re: Thank god I found you guys!
Anonymous
Unregistered

"Is the fuel filter/timing belt in a more easily accessed spot? "

Regarding the timing belt: They use a timing CHAIN in the 2nd Gen X's, so it wont need to be replaced.

#481393 - 26/03/06 11:14 AM Re: Thank god I found you guys!
Anonymous
Unregistered

[Wave] There is a ton of info out there. Welcome.

#481394 - 26/03/06 11:17 AM Re: Thank god I found you guys!
BluRdgX Offline

Loc: Virginia's Blue Ridge Mountain...
Welcome!
FYI-My dealership quoted me $740 for the water pump/timing belt replacement to be done at 105K miles.......I'm at about 99500 now.
[Wave]

#481395 - 26/03/06 11:37 AM Re: Thank god I found you guys!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the hearty welcome! One thing hubbie noticed when we changed the oil was that it was about 2qts low...and then he found a small screw size hole near I think the trans tunnel...he checked it w/ paper to see if was blowing anything out and wasn't but there was a bunch of oil around it...read about gaskets etc., is this something that's normal is there a hole in that area? Or are we on the brink of disaster? One other thing I've noticed recently is from time to time, she'll kind of switch gears funny, like transmission slippage? not regular and not hard, just subtle and from time to time. This maybe timing or tranny issue? Trying to do this w/ second hand info of course but need to know what we might be getting into since she's getting up there in mileage...thanks guys! BTW< was driving her to the store and thinking how much we really do with this truck - it's hauled hay, kids, home improvement stuff, furniture, bikes, and more. Really have had nothing but great things to say about my X and it's great to know that it's also a truck that lives up to the ruffntumble advertising! Some of the pics I've seen you guys post make me long for the wild life!

#481396 - 26/03/06 11:39 AM Re: Thank god I found you guys!
xterra3202 Offline

Loc: Georgia
Welcome to the site, have fun with your truck!!!

Tim

Thomas Jefferson

#481397 - 26/03/06 12:40 PM Re: Thank god I found you guys!
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by yellerx:
Some of the pics I've seen you guys post make me long for the wild life!
Welcome A Board!

laugh

Hey - go for it!

Its very easy to get started off roading...and the trucks can take it....and its a ton of fun.

[Wave]

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#481398 - 26/03/06 01:06 PM Re: Thank god I found you guys!
RedX Offline

Loc: Granite Falls, NC
Quote:
Originally posted by yellerx:
Thanks for the hearty welcome! One thing hubbie noticed when we changed the oil was that it was about 2qts low...
'Ello! [Wave]

And two quarts low in these trucks is A LOT!.....more than half low. Get that leak looked at, and in the very least keep a consciensous eye on you oil level, until you do get it looked at or repaired on your own.

http://www.metzgardesign.com

#481399 - 26/03/06 03:38 PM Re: Thank god I found you guys!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey! Welcome from fellow Marylander [Wave]

about your tranny trouble. id get it checked. mine was having the same kinda problems (94k miles) and i took it in and it turned out the torque converter and tranny pump went and i had to have it rebuilt($2,000) so id atleast go get it checked out and the fluid changed and gaskets and filter as well. maybe you can catch it early if it is something serious and save a lot of money and headaches.

#481400 - 26/03/06 05:27 PM Re: Thank god I found you guys!
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you do end up with another major repair (besides the timing belt) - be careful! It might end up being better to bite the bullet and go for the 06 now rather than spend what could end up thousands on your current X. That's coming from someone who held onto his 94 Pathfinder about a year too long, if you know what I mean. How are the calipers, drums, etc doing?

If you've been lusting after an 06 anyway, crunch some numbers before you start puttin' money into the old one!

Oh yeah - Welcome!!!! [Wave]

#481401 - 26/03/06 06:33 PM Re: Thank god I found you guys!
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks guys...hard part round here is finding a mechanic that's familiar w/ x's. there's one dealer - bout 45 mins away and the other two are 60mns away...if there's anyone on the Eastern Shore of Maryland that can refer me to someone...just to have it looked at and give me the honest scoop. once again thanks for the advice and I'll keep lookin.

#481402 - 26/03/06 06:37 PM Re: Thank god I found you guys!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Perhaps one of the most technically knowledgable people in the Nissan community is around here somewhere, you just need to post a question in the wrong forum, bitch about the cost of gasoline, or ask a completely over asked question (what size tires'll fit? usually works) to draw him out. Brett (OffroadX) lives in MD and can prolly direct you to an honest wrench/dealership.
smile

#481403 - 26/03/06 06:45 PM Re: Thank god I found you guys!
Anonymous
Unregistered

^^^lol

Welcome to the board. And, yes, yellow is the best color. smile

#481404 - 26/03/06 07:00 PM Re: Thank god I found you guys!
PDXterra Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Quote:
Originally posted by DBAX:
Perhaps one of the most technically knowledgable people in the Nissan community is around here somewhere, you just need to post a question in the wrong forum, bitch about the cost of gasoline, or ask a completely over asked question (what size tires'll fit? usually works) to draw him out. Brett (OffroadX) lives in MD and can prolly direct you to an honest wrench/dealership.
smile
[LOL]

Ha! Too funny! Go Brent, go!

#481405 - 26/03/06 08:21 PM Re: Thank god I found you guys!
Anonymous
Unregistered

yea, but he's in columbia, i dont think you wanna drive all the way up here to get yer truck worked on, but i could be wrong(which i usually am). i believe suspect2 is down there somewhere around the ocean city/chesapeake area. he might be able to help you out with the reccomendations.

Moderator:  socalpunx, TJ 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal