Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#480184 - 04/05/06 12:06 AM Noob checking in
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi there.

Been lurking here since buying a 05 Granite 4x4 S 6 Speed back in August. The info I've gathered here while lurking has been helpful on more than one occasion, my thanks to those who contribute!

We traded in a 03 Frontier 4x4 XE crew cab long bed on the X, a few thoughts on the 1st Gen Fronty:

[ThumbsDown]
-Lacking in power
-4 spd Auto (OD off = high revs)
-Despite the crew cab, back seats not suitable for adults
-No cruise (my fault for going cheap on the XE and not getting the power package, missed it more than I thought I would)
-Non-adjustable steering column placed the top of the steering wheel right where it completely blocked my view of the guages
-Too damn long (barely fit in the garage, hard to park)

The wife always wanted an X. Our purchase of the 03 Frontier was a compromise between what she wanted (the X), and what I wanted (a truck). In reading the reviews of the 2nd Gen it sounded like a quantum leap forward. So we test drove one and were hooked! Brought it home that night.

I didn't miss the Frontier, but I did miss having a truck. After falling in love with the 4.0 powertrain in the X, I test drove an 06 Fronty King Cab 4x2 SE Auto about a month ago, and you guessed it, traded in my 04 Civic Si the next day. I don't miss the Si one bit!

A few thoughts on the new X and Fronty:

[ThumbsUp]
-Power!
-6 speed in the X rocks!
-5 speed Auto in the Fronty is the best one I've come across yet. When it's necessary to turn the OD off, the revs are still below 3k at 75, awesome!
-Fronty King Cab gives me a 6' bed without being so damn long.
-Power packages on both, won't make the mistake of skimping there again!
-Programmed the key fobs to work on both vehicles, no more carrying two fobs on the keychain smile
-Gas mileage with the 4.0 VQ in the X is equal to the 1st Gen 3.3 VG in the 03 Frontier (averaging 18.5), even with the significant increase in power. How did they do that? [ThumbsUp]

If we need to haul anything, we have the Fronty. If we need to carry more than two people we have the X. The best of both worlds!

I prefer the shorter wheelbase and overall length of the X for the occasional off road trip, so it worked out great that we got the X with 4x4. Haven't missed 4x4 in the Fronty yet.

Another point of comparison: With only 2k miles the Fronty is averaging 21 mpg, which I expect to get even better with a few more miles. I think the lower mileage we're getting in the X is proof that the 6 speed is more fun to drive laugh , though the Fronty sits a bit lower and lack of 4x4 saves weight, which probably also contributes to the Fronty's better mileage.

Sorry for the long post, got happy sharing the love with my new Nissan buddies cool

-Jeff

#480185 - 04/05/06 02:06 AM Re: Noob checking in
Anonymous
Unregistered

aloha [Wave] and welcome to the club... watch out for that damn mod bug it will get you..

#480186 - 04/05/06 05:35 AM Re: Noob checking in
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey, welcome. X in Hi is not kidding about that Mod bug. To see the worst case I have ever laid eyse on see the forum SAS 05, its the most wonderful thing Ive ever seen. laugh

#480187 - 04/05/06 07:19 AM Re: Noob checking in
Anonymous
Unregistered

[Wave] Welcome to the forum [Wave]

#480188 - 04/05/06 08:22 AM Re: Noob checking in
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sounds like you are doing well with your 2 new additions [ThumbsUp] Welcome [Wave]

#480189 - 04/05/06 08:35 AM Re: Noob checking in
Anonymous
Unregistered

[Wave]

#480190 - 04/05/06 10:21 AM Re: Noob checking in
Anonymous
Unregistered

The new Fronty seems like a pretty good buy for what you get. [ThumbsUp] Welcome! [Wave]

#480191 - 04/05/06 01:29 PM Re: Noob checking in
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
[Wave]

#480192 - 04/05/06 04:32 PM Re: Noob checking in
Anonymous
Unregistered

[Wave]

#480193 - 04/05/06 09:31 PM Re: Noob checking in
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the welcomes!
Quote:
Originally posted by PonyBoy:
[Wave]
Oh man, just checked out the SAS 05 thread. [ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp] That is one beautiful rig. Can't wait to see more pics of your rig in action!

#480194 - 09/05/06 05:48 AM Re: Noob checking in
BigE515 Offline

Loc: Chelmsford,MA
Quote:
Originally posted by xterra in HI:
aloha [Wave] and welcome to the club... watch out for that damn mod bug it will get you..

[Wave]

#480195 - 09/05/06 01:41 PM Re: Noob checking in
Anonymous
Unregistered

[Wave]

Moderator:  socalpunx, TJ 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal